Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey

Good session with PT yesterday. Had a restless night, just couldn’t find a comfortable position. My goal today is to get things back in order around the house and tackle the two steps out to my front porch to get some fresh air as it’s predicted to be around 70 here today.
 
I just finished reading your thread. Amazing! I hope that my revision goes like this!

I needed to read this today. Thank you!
 
I just finished reading your thread. Amazing! I hope that my revision goes like this!

I needed to read this today. Thank you!
It will! Keep reminding yourself that it is a long, often difficult and painful journey; yet, there is always a bright spot to be found even on the darkest day! Keep us posted!
 
Hi @FourCats I'm finally reading some and wanted to see how you are doing. My leg this time is terribly swollen and bruised. Using oxy 10 every 4 hrs and tylenol 500 mg every 4. The pain is from the swelling. Get 3 to 4 hrs sleep at a time and had first shower yesterday. Take care
 
Just to prove how we are all different, I'm amazed that you are only on Tylenol this early in your recovery, @FourCats :flabber: :wowspring:That certainly wasn't me!
 
Hi, @Four Cats...as I type this, our very spoiled Felicity Kitty is laying beside me, purring softly. . I just read your latest posts, & it sounds like you are making wonderful progress! My TKR was early October, then cleanout surgery mid-November. It was a little slower after this 2nd surgery, but coming along well now. I’m walking daily with my husband ( one of my big goals... Yay!!). Like you, I am so anxious to get things in order here. So much, I’ve “ shelved” for so long, due to the constant pain of my knee. Now that I am feeling so much better, my biggest challenge is to not try & “ build Rome in a day or two”.. It Does feel good to be getting a lot of areas cleaned out, & I keep finding things... all sorts of surprises! And, learning ( sometimes after the fact) to pace myself. I do find myself in a lot of good company on the ODIC bench, & sometimes, that corner gets a bit crowded . Trying to visit there less often. Do listen to your body.

I’m so glad you have found a way to deal with your pain. My body didn’t deal well with the pain meds, so Tylenol was my solution also, & now, I don’t take that, other than occasionally, and generally, for my back , vwhen I overdo. . And I bet those kitties help, also! After both my surgeries, Felicity would often stay close, to the point of sleeping on my stomach a lot. Isn’t it wonderful how our little friends (dogs as well as kitties) do comfort us & help us heal? Lots of healing purrs & kitty antics to you, & do remember to take good care of yourself as you recover.

@Finally...it looks like your revision is coming up soon...Good luck! I see you have a full year from your initial surgery, so you’re probably stronger in general, and, you know what to expect. I’m thinking positive thoughts for you that all goes well. ( as I type these words, Miss Felicity is purring kitty encouragement, also....). I’ll be looking for your posts.

As usual, I began this yesterday, & am just now posting it. I hope you both have a lovely day. It is sunny & beautiful here.....and I’m about to start our Sunday morning huevos rancheros. Out traditional Sunday morning breakfast .
 
@Catalien45 so true about our fur kids! Mine are a bit of a challenge to herd out of the bedroom at night but a handful of treats usually does the trick! I’m feeling a bit more energy this morning so am being careful not to overdo things. It’s all too easy to join the club!!
 
It’s funny, my realization that I’ve overdone still hits me the next day, but lately, it’s more subtle. I just notice that I am tired starting out the day, and moving particularly slow. Then sometime later, I realize.......”Oh! That’s right.... I DID do that major cleanout yesterday.......”.
 
Happy One Week Birthday! Flexion at 80 degrees.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My Journey
    3B9379F7-EA11-43D2-89F1-2ABE9E3F6B56.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Glad to see your post @FourCats. We put my kitties out of bedroom the night before the 1st surgery and they have adjusted in fact my senior one has become very sociable sitting on chair next to me most days while I'm up.
 
Slow and steady! I made it with 2500 mg of acetaminophen yesterday, not bad for three days out! PT is coming today to begin the exercises; she’s the same from last time and is awesome! Understands the meaning of NO. Once I got past the first two nights I’ve been able to sleep in bed. Even lifted the leg into bed without having to give it a boost. Appetite still not up to par but I can definitely afford to lose some weight.
Wow @FourCats, you’re amazing! I can’t imagine taking acetaminophen only, and I still need a leg strap to get my leg up onto the bed. :flwrysmile:
 
Question for those who have RLS: did you have issues in the first couple of weeks post-op with it? I take RX for it and have been splitting it in half to try and keep it in my system. If not, the surgical leg has terrible spasms, likely from not being able to move it to ease the “crawlies”. Any thoughts?
 
Appointment today to have staples removed! The worst part of the first weeks of recovery have been the zingers. I have one that almost causes me to jump up out of my chair. Going to ask the PA about ideas for some relief.

Graduated from walker to cane and it feels great to be freer. We’re having a very mild winter and it’s nice to get out and sit on the porch to enjoy the fresh air.

PT measured extension at 0, flexion at 92. I’m pleased with those numbers. After staples are out, I’ll be able to try my pedal exerciser a bit at a time which was a big help with knee #1.
 
Good to see your post @FourCats ! It was in 60s here in PA yesterday now 21 and awaiting snow storm tonight. My last measurement was only 76 due to swollen leg. No room to bend but doing simple exercises. Got 2 sessions of 3 hours each of sleep last night which is a improvement. What pedal exerciser do you have I need to get one. I had zingers with 1st for not this one hopefully swelling will continue to go down. I found gentle massage on leg where zingers were happening helped before.
 
Good Morning, @FourCats & @jaspa! Congratulations on your staple removal.....I had staples with my cleanout surgery since my body didn’t seem to like the dissolvable ones with the TKR. I was a bit anxious about having them removed, but, it was fine! I think I counted 22, & she had them out before I knew it. And graduating to the cane is a really nice advancement, much more freedom in movement. I now only use mine when I grocery shop, or like Tuesday, when we were at a restaurant with family.
Zingers.... what a strange experience! I had several with this second surgery, then one day, a LOT..... then, they were gone, none since. It was really strange. I’m envious of your 0 extension! That one seems to evade me, but, I’m working on it. My surgeon seems pleased in general, and reminded me that full recovery can take a full year. And sitting on the porch sounds Wonderful! Unfortunately, any sitting area for us is in the backyard, which faces North, so the snow will be there for a while. ( it didn’t stop our grandson from venturing out ( barefoot!) when he was here a few days ago!). . Kids! But, we do get some sun when we are walking, & it feels so good!

@jaspa , your weather sounds pa lot like ours here in Colorado... it can be nearly 60 one day, & then a snowstorm! This morning it was 3 degrees, & has been below 0 the past few nights. But then, by next Monday & Tuesday, in the upper 50’s! Thankfully, so we can schedule some family photos while our son and his girlfriend are visiting from Germany for 2 weeks. Our daughter has a close friend who is a professional photographer, & she did wonderful photos of us all at a park when they were here 2 1/2 years ago. Our crazy weather changes seem to be cooperating for this time around. And, my husband & I should be able to resume walking again soon. Yay!
Well, I should go & rustle up some breakfast for us. Our son’s girlfriend is from Italy, and loves to cook, so the 2 of them are cooking our lunch & supper meals..... really yummy, and, I’m learning some very good, often, simple meals, that are new to me. Today she is making risotto, and this particular one, I LOVE. So, I can’t wait. Sure happy my appetite has returned. . Hope you both have a lovely day... sunny & beautiful out here. We will warm up to 24!
 
@Catalien45, risotto is the best! My favorite was a seafood risotto we had at an Italian restaurant in Aruba. It was so delicious …and how lucky you are to have an Italian chef in residence! Is there a secret to making risotto that your son’s GF has shared with you?

@FourCats, congratulations on your staple removal. And on your flexion, your extension and for moving from a walker to a cane. You are doing well in so many categories!

@jaspa, glad you’re sleeping better. It makes a huge difference to our recovery, doesn’t it?
 
Staples out and PA was very pleased with my progress. It was quite a hike from the parking lot to the office because of some construction work being done but we took our time and I made it with no problem. Now home with ice as it swelled pretty badly over the course of the day.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] My Journey
    C335207D-19E1-4238-9675-46C1EDA94B78.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 128
Glad your staples are out, Sue. I was so happy to have mine out! Seems like the knee feels better as soon as they’re gone:friends:
 
Wow! Your incision looks great! Congratulations! ( mine takes a little “jog” in the middle, but that’s OK... it looks healthy, so I’m OK with it).. I was so glad to get my staples removed, I was pretty hesitant to bend it much, afraid I’d “pop” them out. Probably unfounded, but, still....

Yes, both our son and his girlfriend are wonderful cooks. They take over the kitchen, & she has some wonderful, very simple meals that are really very healthy, so I’m taking note. As to the risotto... she starts it with sautéed onion in olive oil, then Arborio rice in oil, stir for a minute or so; then gives a little splash of white wine (she says for taste, she often puts a little wine in her cooking); then, When wine is evaporated, start with enough broth to barely cover the rice , then stir, then about a ladle of hot chicken broth ( kept into a pot, simmering on the stove). You keep doing this gradually, as the rice absorbs. The main key is to constantly stir, stay with it, & keep it simple... no more than 2, possibly 3, flavors. She measures out handfuls, determined by how many are eating the dish, I truly love watching her cook! ( btw, she sent a link to videos by a “Chef Frank”, How to make Risotto 101”, that she said is excellent. It’s about 20 minutes.

Well, here it is, Monday, just now finishing this. I will try to catch up on the latest posts, and also my exercises. Since I’m grocery shopping today, that will get some good walking in, & most of our snow is gone, so we are walking again. I’ve seen posts on here that the walking really helps with both extension & ROM. I try my best to be sure & focus on my heel first out, then trying to get my walk as “ natural” as possible. I believe several people mentioned this improving their “ numbers”, and both @hawk2go and my therapist talked about thus technique. My husband will sometimes ask me to “ show off” my now normal walk, he is so excited for me. My walk was SOO slow, badly limping... what a difference this surgery has made! It’s truly changed my quality of life. I can’t wait for warmer weather & tackling some outside chores! Meanwhile, it’s fun ( most if the time...) working on some Much-needed cleaning out & organizing. My biggest challenge is staying out of ODIC, & it appears I have plenty of company in that. ☺️. But, good company when it happens. Do have yourself a lovely day, I’ll be looking for your progress. Time for some breakfast here!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom