TKR My Journey

@Jockette I agree. Live and learn and educate yourself. I’m sorry you’re going through this, as well. Greedy doctors, I think. At least our arthritis pain will never come back. I can’t wait to get my other knee done. The doctor I had, including the hospital, don’t do bilateral replacements anymore. Haven’t done them in years, so I had to do one at a time, which I’m glad for. Did your dr tell you that you’d eventually need a TKR? Mine said my other knee compartments would eventually get bad and I’d need a TKR anyway. I was given an option of PKR or TKR.
 
@Beckadeez My OS just told me from my MRI that cartilage damage was extensive, my meniscus wasn’t in good shape, though not bone on bone yet, my leg has begun to bow outward. He told me he could remove the loose and free floating cartilage, but inevitably a tkr would be needed. I have OA. We did the worst knee first, didn’t know this knee would fall apart so quickly. I guess I asked him the right question... “If I just do arthroscopic and cleanup, how long before I need a tkr”. He couldn’t give me an answer, no timeline. That’s why I decided just to get on with the TKR. Even though it’s only been 6 months from last one. This was a hard decision. I hope I made the right one. Thanks for your information. I appreciate it. Hugs.
 
Did your dr tell you that you’d eventually need a TKR? Mine said my other knee compartments would eventually get bad and I’d need a TKR anyway. I was given an option of PKR or TKR.
If he did I don’t remember, so I’m thinking no he didn’t. I was under the impression that I was catching my arthritis early and the partial was all I’d ever need. I was very disappointed to read on Bonesmart that was probably not the case.

I presented my current concerns to him last week at my one year check up and he had nothing. No advice, no conclusions, nothing. I’m now one of THOSE patients who didn’t do well. To his credit he did seem to take me seriously and seemed to ponder my concerns.

I’m still not ready for a second opinion, definitely not ready to go for a revision! I’m just going to wait a while and see how things go. I picked up all my info from him so I’m ready to call someone else when I feel the time is right.
 
We all do the best we can making decisions especially very important, life changing ones. Nobody has a “guaranteed-pass”. I wish it was that easy. But I do believe we are not told directly the possible outcomes. Those are probably written in the fine print when we sign the dotted line because we trust our doctors to have our best interests “I’s dotted and T’s crossed”.
 
@Needhope I’m glad your surgeon was honest with you. Sometimes they’re not. I believe you made the best decision. Hugs to you too.. We WILL get better.

@Jockette I don’t blame you for waiting. It’s a lot to process. Bless your heart. At least you know, now. I agree about a second opinion. Can’t hurt.
 
I’ll bet you’re right, @Needhope It’s mixed up in the paperwork where we don’t easily see it. It’s sad to me that I have learned that there are doctors who you can’t trust to put your well-being first.
 
I did not read my consent form word for word because I knew I wouldn’t understand some of the words and I knew the surgery wouldn’t get done if I didn’t sign it.

But, I will read every word if there’s a next time and ask any questions I have, and if it takes me an hour, so be it. I’m not sorry I didn’t read it this time, but there will be more at stake next time and I’m not the newby I was last time.
 
I kinda figured it out myself when I asked him straight forward what I should do and he just looked at me. Only thing I asked was how long do I have before a tkr is needed if I choose arthroscopic clean up. He said no idea, a couple months, 6 months, he couldn’t guarantee a timeline. I asked how long for arthroscopic recovery, he said 6-8 weeks then up to 6 months to regain muscle strength. Long pause.....while he was looking at me. Well, I decided TKR.
 
Yes me too. A great collection of information. Experiences differ before and after, there’s no right or wrong, it’s what works for each person individually. Plus the knowledge from those who have been there whether personally or professionally. Thank you Bonesmart and members, everyone who helps those like myself, get through their own struggles with their dysfunctional bone anatomy.
 
My mom is the only existing member of my family with TKR's and she is doing fine. She is 85 now and had her last one done July 2016. Her knee didn't hurt all the time, but she was running out of time with her age and she never wanted it to go out on her and cause a fall so she elected TKR. 10 years after her other leg. :)
 
9 weeks tomorrow and I’m doing fine. No bad pain. My recovery has been a smooth one and for that, I’m very thankful. I did hurt my back, getting up off of the floor. I like to sit in the floor and stretch. I insisted on getting up by myself, which entailed scooting my back to the couch and using my elbows to help me shimmy up. Won’t do that again. I can’t squat or kneel, yet. I will get my other knee done when it’s time and I’m actually looking forward to it, as i can’t bend it normally either. Hubby got a new job so I have to wait until June, to go back to the OS and ask for an X-ray of it. So happy I got one knee done.living in pain is miserable and depressing.
 
I’m glad your recovery is going well and you are handling it well, physically and mentally/emotionally.

And looking forward to fixing the other knee! That’s great!
 
It’s still a bit chilly here in Delaware, I’m holding out for temperatures that I can go out in shorts!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom