TKR My Journey

Yes, roosters are chickens. Meat at the store is both roosters and hens.
I did just google it and that’s what it said. The term chicken is genderless, females are hens, males are roosters.

I also found how to kill one to eat but was sorry I found that info! You can google that yourself if you’re interested!
Nope. I can’t eat it if I’ve seen it walking around
And also if it’s been named!

Oh my, the things we learn on Bonesmart! :wowspring:
 
We only have hens. :) 15 of them and only 7 or so lay eggs each day.... Free. expensive eggs lol
 
I’m interested to know how many of you have a family history of knee arthritis? I’m the first one in my family.
 
I really don’t know. My mother had a lot of arthritis in other areas and towards the end of her life her legs hurt but she never looked into it, she had other issues, heart and then Alzheimer’s.

I am the first one I know of with a replacement, including on my husband’s side. If any aunts/uncles had any I don’t remember. I was one of the youngest of all my cousins.
 
Interesting. I guess it has to start somewhere, right? I know I’m the only one to have a knee replacement.
 
Lucky us, right? To start the trend.
 
My paternal grandmother had severe arthritis in her hips, but I don't know of anyone in the family who had it in the knees. My right knee was so bad prior to surgery that it had bowed way out.
 
I am the first person in my family to have a new knee.

I have an aunt who died at 93 a few years ago, but walked with a cane for years and probably needed a new knee.
My dad had all sorts of arthritis, my mom too, but she was only 65 when she died, so not sure of her knees. My dad was 81 and increasingly in pain his last few years.

I have my dad‘s flat feet, and I am double jointed and knock kneed, so I wonder if a combination of that, a bit of weight contributed to my knees going bone on bone. I also had chemo in 2011(breast cancer, so far no further evidence of disease) and I’ve taken an anti estrogen drug since 2011, so not sure about contributions from that. Just lucky I guess . ;-)

My arthritis seems to be at my knees. If it is other places, I can‘t tell. So far, so good.
 
My father - 2 TKR's, my mother - 2 TKR's, my grandfather - 2 TKR's, my brother needs at least 1, I need another and my sister has been told she will... but she's very active right now (I'm the baby). All OA.
 
I’m interested to know how many of you have a family history of knee arthritis? I’m the first one in my family.

Where do I start? My paternal grandfather was terribly bow-legged and in pain when he walked, but TKR was not something done in those days. My father had both knees replaced in the late 90s. It was a bilateral surgery in which each knee was done using a different surgical method (quad-sparing was new then). One of his sisters had her knees replaced. My mother has had both knees replaced. My sister has had both knees replaced. My brothers (both) are looking at knee replacements down the road. Family history of bad knees? No doubt about it. :rotfl:
 
@Beckadeez i see in September you had arthroscopic cartridge removal meniscus trim. Then had your TKR 4 months after. My surgeon had given me option of arthroscopic cleanup before doing a tkr but he couldn’t guarantee me how long after I’d be needing to do a tkr. It was a tough decision to make. So I opted for tkr. Did you anticipate the inevitable tkr so soon after your initial knee surgery? Did your surgeon give you the scenario of possible deterioration quickly after surgery therefore ending up needing the tkr anyway? I ask because your surgical timeline is exactly what I feared would happen to me, so that’s why I skipped the arthroscopic and am just going for the tkr. Thanks for listening.
 
@Eeek I am thinking that it indeed led to your bone on bone. So happy to hear that you’re cancer-free!

@jaschembra Wow! How have they done with theirs? Any problems?

@SusieShoes I’d say! Gosh! I can’t even begin to imagine what it would be like to have to suffer with the pain and not being able to have surgery.

@Needhope I’m actually quite irritated at my first OS for doing the arthroscopy. I had no clue about anything and I trusted him totally. I feel it was a waste of time, pain, and money. He had to know my knee was very bad and that the surgery was unnecessary. I feel like it sped up my degeneration being as he trimmed my already thinning meniscus. My surgeon told me Nothing of it speeding the degeneration. I will never go through that unnecessary surgery again. The surgeon who did my TKR is a different one. My first OS shoved me off on a PA after my arthroscopy. You are totally right to go straight to a TKR in my opinion. I wish I’d found this site sooner. And even though my TKR was 4 months after my clean up, my knee was bone on bone not even 3 months after the clean up. I feel like a fool.
 
Yep, I had it on both sides of my family. Many tkrs, but I'm the first in my immediate family. My brother had his hip replaced about 15 years ago.
 
Don’t not feel like a fool. You trusted the professional to make the right decision for you in an area you knew nothing about. I did, too.

I’m sorry I had a partial. I had what I thought was a lot of pain and probably honestly wasn’t ready for a total. And now it’s not going well. I can relate to how you feel about a procedure being a waste of pain, time and money.

These procedures are in our past. We really have to try to look forward. (But I think an occasional temper tantrum would be allowed :heehee: ). :console2:
 
My first OS said I’d eventually need my hips replaced, based on X-rays, several years ago,but I don’t trust him. So glad I found my current OS. Haven’t had any recent hip X-rays. I only had them then, because I had hip bursitis. L me tell you, PT does not help with hip bursitis, either. At least not for me.
 
I’m actually quite irritated at my first OS for doing the arthroscopy. I had no clue about anything and I trusted him totally. I feel it was a waste of time, pain, and money
I went through the same thing. I had a meniscus trim in latter November and then the tkr in the following June. I was much worse after the trim. I also went to a different doctor my my tkr. I didn't trust the previous one anymore. Trust is a huge part of this surgery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom