Pat - I'm so sorry you had such a disappointing visit. I can't say whether it's "too early" or not, but I'm glad you do have an OS on your side that is listening. My issues started a few months after THR (after a period of no pain or problems), with decreasing range of motion and increasing pain. It took me several months to get someone to finally give me the diagnosis I'd already found through research, so you have at least won the first part of the battle. I tried meloxicam, muscle relaxants, PT, etc. and nothing helped. Even shutting everything other than essential walking down for several weeks and then starting just gentle stretching caused increased pain. I had 3 PT tell me "psoas impingement is rare, so it's unlikely you have it" on first visit and within a month saying "I think you have a psoas impingement and nothing we're doing is working so surgery is probably your best option." I had to switch OS, though, to get the diagnosis (went with a new OS that one of the PTs recommended.
The cortisone shot into the tendon was the final diagnostic tool and attempt to fix non-surgically. Shots into the psoas muscle in the back had helped but not long and not entirely. The shot into the tendon helped TREMENDOUSLY but, like you, only lasted a couple of weeks so that surgeon referred me to some who did psoas release. I don't know why this surgeon said it wouldn't fix the problem (sounds to me like it's just not something he's experienced with). I can understand him saying it's not a easy surgery, but that's the surgeon's side of it - it was very easy for me from the patient's standpoint. It should be done by someone who is skilled in hip arthroscopy and not any old OS. The surgeon who diagnosed and then referred me was a revisionist. Even he didn't do that type of surgery and referred me. As to whether it "fixed" anything, I knew within a week that the surgery was a success. While I still had much work to do to retrain the lengthened muscle, the pain was GONE! I could sleep without waking in pain each time I moved. I could walk, go up stairs, dance and just plain LIVE!
While work needs to be done to help strengthen and retrain the muscle, it was an easy surgery to recover from generally. With my surgeon's blessing, I went out for New Year's Eve (i.e., the day of surgery) and danced with friends and was back in the gym immediately. My only restriction was not doing anything that took the pain level above a 4. But I only took a couple of doses of painkillers and really didn't have pain after that (except some general discomfort in the tendon from having been cut, but that only lasted a few days and wasn't bad and some pain with rotating with knee flexed but that has eased). My range of motion is so much better now. Probably not as good as it was before the psoas started causing problems but close.
I'm not very active on the site anymore, but I do generally check in every day or two to see if I've been tagged and get emails if I'm sent a PM. Feel free to give me a shout anytime you want to talk!
Sara