THR My journey, if only I had known<

Hi @Fit4Family. Nice to hear from you :wave:
I’ve had the tendinitis pretty much all along. When my hip got bone on bone, it was my worst presenting pain and sent me to my family doc (actually, his PA) who started with that.
My OS discussed it back in May when it seemed to be keeping me from getting back to work. He really wanted to give the hip a chance to heal before doing anything more aggressive than the Celebrex. I gave it more time, typically probably more time than I should have, so then the steroid injection in August.
The revision can be fairly intense if I understand what my OS told my husband. They go through same incision, replace the cup (not sure how they loosen the bone growth, yikes.) They don’t have as much bone left to work with so it’s a balancing act between seating the cup to fix the overhang but keeping the hip stable enough to not dislocate. So, I’m sure he was happy to give us both a chance at less invasive and decreased risk for complications. I’m comforted to know that if, worst case scenario, the IP release doesn’t work or can’t be done, I still have an option and that he will do it. Hip revisions are another of their specialties for which they are known. I hope that explains a bit better. Again, this site let’s me keep my sanity and perspective. ❤️
 
@Hip4life I’m so glad you have the right OS for the job. Thank you for your explanation. So very sorry for your long suffering. Will be watching for updates. I too have tendonitis, so I understand the pain you have gone through. Hope the 30th lays out a plan for complete resolution. :angel:
 
Good morning @Hip4life. What an eventful week for you, I love that the OS you have researched ended up being where your original OS is referring you to. Sure seems like another very positive sign.

You have experienced some real highs and lows this week, you must feel exhausted at times.
October 30th isn't too far away, either.. hang in there. It sounds like help is coming.
Best wishes for a relaxing weekend. :SUNsmile:
 
Last edited:
@Hip4life @SaraK ...Pat...I am not clear exactly where you stand now ...I am a NY'r so I will be real direct with regards to all of this...I have been reviewing the PR option for a long time. I had it on August 23 at HSS in NY.
All the OS's (I must have seen 20 including Pain Management,Sports, Etc.). want you to do a revision. They really do not have any answers for soft tissue except PT<MEDS< TIME, etc. They do not like the psoas release surgery...i.e because most of them are not arthroscopic docs and most I think haven't done enough of them..
My prosthesis was fine , my cup was wrong for my "body" (you get all these wishy washy answers), or ???they didn't know.
The second day after the tenotomy I walked around manhattan all day pain free..(i am not exaggerating ) for maybe 6 hours...no groin pain..great ROM..
It is now seven weeks Post op and I am developing some groin pain that they think is normal healing or overdone the tendon..(I will see how that all works out)...I can get in cars now, I can generally walk pain free,etc. I would find a surgeon who does these ..my surgery was exactly 36 minutes...ABSOLUTELY NO LOSS OF MUSCLE POWER IN MY OPERATIVE LEG...the first day I could lift my operative leg up as high as my other knee...There is nothing lost by doing the release first and you can always go for the revision.(there are plenty of revisionists waiting)...best of luck to you..Jeffrey
 
@Jws, thank you, Jeffrey, for your kind encouragement. I see the arthroscopic specialist this Wednesday. My husband encountered my OS again yesterday and he re-iterated how confident this specialist felt that he could help me. This specialist is very experienced and I am looking forward to meeting him and getting on with my life. You’re absolutely right. I can always have the revision if this doesn’t work. I feel very blessed that I haven’t had to see a bunch of docs before getting to this point. I am so happy it all worked out for you. It gives me hope. Peace and blessings to you. Pat.
 
Hello and a Happy Saturday to you! :wave:
Best of luck with your appt on Wednesday. Please let us know how it goes.
We're here for you.
Wishing you a pleasant weekend. :SUNsmile:
@Hip4life
 
Hello, all. It seems when the Divine answers sometimes things happen quickly. The appointment with the arthroscopic specialist went great. He was very helpful and confident. He explained that with the few THA patients that have issues, he completely releases the IP tendon because the hardware is always going to be there in the position that best stabilizes each individual’s hip. So you might as well not take the chance the tendon starts rubbing again. It was nice to hear that even though I was less than a year out from my THA, my expectations were reasonable at this point. Total 180 from the last doc.
Surgery is scheduled for November 12th, outpatient, and home same day. He said it will take about 15 minutes with perhaps a week of soreness. Sounds good to me. Didn’t expect to have it so soon but less time to stew about it. It will be nice to plan for the holidays being as pain free as possible. Feeling very blessed. ❤️
 
Hi @Hip4life
This is good news!
I'm glad you have a plan and feel confident in the specialist and the expected outcome. I'd also be agreeable to a fifteen minute procedure with a week of discomfort to move forward pain free. I'm happy you don't have long to wait.
You know we'll be here to encourage and support you. Wishing you peace and comfort while you wait out the next week and a half.
Hugs
 
@Hip4life You have a surgery scheduled! Congratulations.. your prayers were certainly answered and I'm so happy for you.
Will be very interested in hearing your updates.
For now, enjoy your weekend. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi everyone and @Jws. My psoas tendon release went well yesterday. I’m understandably sore today but nothing I and a pain pill or two can’t handle. Used a walker yesterday and am using my cane today. I’m off until November 15. I’m optimistic that I will be ready to return to work. OS said procedure was about 30mins. Door to door time was about 6 hours. Pretty cool. Healing process acute for a 2-3 weeks, continued up to a few months. No PT required just increase activity as tolerated. All in all a wonderful experience (if you can say that about surgery.) with a promise of pain free days ahead. I’m feeling very blessed and grateful. :yes!:
 
Hello @Hip4life
Awesome news! Thanks for sharing. May each day be a bit brighter than the day before. Bye bye pain :yes!:
Have a lovely rest of the week! :SUNsmile:
 
I'm glad it went well. In my case, there was huge improvement from day to night, much less day to day. I hope you improve quickly!

There was definitely a steep slope for improvement in my case. I'm about 11 months post release and my range of motion is still gradually improving (most of the improvement was in the first 2-3 months). the biggest thing for me was discovering, as the swelling went down, that I could do so many things without pain - I just needed to retrain the muscles and brain for the longer configuration.

Best to you as you go thru this recovery!
 
Wishing you a speedy recovery and that this is the key to ridding yourself of hip pain.:friends:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom