THR My journey, if only I had known<

Great update!!!!
 
@Hip4life what a recovery process! Thank you for explaining in great detail about your need for this specific surgery.
It’s another cautionary tale to remember about when there’s chronic hip pain.
You seem to be handling your limited walking and the other aspects of your recovery well.
Good for you! Hang in there!!
 
Sounds like you're doing well, Pat, and certainly found a match in the PT. That has to be a relief.
Nothing worse than dreading PT sessions and battling with the therapist as we read about so often here.
Thanks for the update and best wishes as you continue healing!
@Hip4life
 
Just a quick update: I am six weeks post op of tendon repair. The surgeon was happy with how well the incision was healing and how I was doing. He discontinued the brace and my restrictions and I'm to increase weight bearing as tolerated over the next two weeks. He cautioned not to go too fast or extreme with anything. Good advice as I have had to reign myself in to avoid winding up in the ODIC (over did it club.) PT will now begin in earnest but again a slowly progressive gentle course. I have my ice packs ready as the protocol says to expect some pain to possibly ramp up but it should not get above 3-4 or stay there. PT is very aware of that. I'm ready for it and to start to get some relief from this cabin fever.

The doctor gave me a reality check saying the tendons need a good 12 weeks to really heal to the point of getting back to more physical activities. I can start getting back to some but easy does it and use common sense. I just wish the doctor/hospital charges could follow suit. <<Big sigh>>
 
Hi Hip4Life, I found your thread here and pleased to hear you ok after your release.
Thanks for your interest on my thread as you know I’m new here. Was there any particular incident that caused your tendon tear? I’m inking you would have a significant incident for that to happen? Poor you.
And to read you could have 12 weeks before significant recovery, I really feel for you .
You read my problems regarding my 1st hip surgery and my possible PS release ,
Could you describe the PS incision , is it in the groin or slightly off as I’ve no idea how it’s done . I think I remember reading it was a good recovery for you?
I have read through all your thread but can’t recall every thing , you’ve had a long journey on here.
Ref my 2nd hip replacement.
My RTHR was a breeze , recovery was excellent. After problems with LTHR I sought out a surgeon that did anterior replacement . No way did I want to repeat the prior experience . I was in hospital only about 30 hours overnight stop.
I was amazed that there was no swelling in my leg whatsoever or going forward, as of course it was a muscle sparing surgery and the tiny incision was barely noticeable and was glued not stitched. I was ambulating around the house without aid in about 3 weeks. I was over the moon
However after attending physio on the second visit which was barely 6 weeks I was instructed to do 10 repetitive side leg lifts with a red Thera stretch band .
By the time I reached home I could hardly walk! I had nearly 2 weeks mostly bed rest and during that time I noticed some quite hard swelling developing in my upper thigh . This hard tissue is still apparent to this day. It then became very difficult to walk very far without resting as my recovery went on and soon became apparent that this problem was not getting better.
On reporting my concerns to my GP and OP very little was made of it even though an ultra sound showed scar tissue on upper thigh in quadriceps.
This was around end of 2021 early 2022. I struggled on having appointments with OP injections etc; until When in June 2023 a mri revealed a full thickness tear of my right gluteus medius tendon! Bingo, I had a diagnosis and a good reason for the restrictions and pain of right hip at last!
I was hoping I could have arthroscopy repair for the torn tendon .however after reading you had open surgery for your repair I’m a little disillusioned now.
Did you have a lateral incision and did they cut through muscle , I know this to need a longer recovery time and was hoping to be spared this but alas what will be will be it seems? Would you say it was very similar to your RTHR n pain and recovery? And swelling how was that?
I’m beginning to realise that the recovery for repair may take longer than THR recovery how would you say it compares ? Oh my goodness it sounds tough!

We really don’t appreciate the ongoing problems do we? So looking forward to these problems being a distant memory as I’m sure you too are .
Really hope and pray you won’t to be too long before you get back to full mobility

Get well soon x
 
Great update! Glad to hear you are on the mend. And appreciate your advice as always. Have learned a lot from reading your thread related to two setbacks in past few months. MRI shows trochantic bursitis on operated side. See physiatrist tomorrow on game plan.

Likely going to hit the table for THR #2 sooner than later. But we will see what the medical professionals have to say. Thankfully working with a great PT. Stay tuned!
 
PT signed off of my case and had my 6 month follow up last week. The surgeon and I are very pleased with the results. I'm getting my strength back and told the doc that I feel like it is back 90%. He was even happier about that. I did ask him about other symptoms I am having, especially some pain and catching in my THR right hip. He recommended I give it a bit more time as he thought that might settle as everything adjusts back to a normal gait and function. Of course, to let him know if it doesn't or also, I could check in with my original OS, as well. I will give it some time and see. I know there were other things identified on the MRI but we started with the most immediate thing. At least, with my deductibles being met, it won't cost me anything to have a "reassurance" check-in with my OS if I decide to do so. In any case, it is nice to be able to walk as far as I want without pain/limp and go upstairs without having to help pull myself up with the bannister. I'll keep working on those home PT exercises and doing all my other normal stuff, as I keep enjoying the summer and life.
 
Just catching up…. That is great news.. so glad it has worked out well for you x
 
Good news, Hip4life!
Keep enjoying the Sumer...it's going to be over too quickly. :wink:
@Hip4life
 
@Hip4life that is fantastic news! So happy you're able to enjoy your summer and walk without pain or limp! Woohoo!. :happydance:
 
Back
Top Bottom