THR My journey, if only I had known<

Little derail here, sorry @Hip4life

Hi @onehipgood
Thanks for joining us! You are responding on another's thread and I'm not sure that was your intention.
We'd love to hear more about your recovery, how you're doing, when your surgery was, which hip was replaced. If you start your own thread I'm sure you'll receive many responses, encouragement and support.
Following is a link to help get you started - https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/starting-a-new-thread-and-posting.14736/
Let us know if you need further help. A great day to you!
 
@Layla No worries about the posting. It takes a while to learn your way around here.
It seems the ongoing precautions are very conservative. I think the operative phrase may be “follow as much as possible.” Lifting in my job is fairly common. Usually not too large or heavy and people have suggested using the “golfers’ lunge” with op leg back. Sometimes equipment and supplies need to be lifted from floor level and can be up to 50lbs. OS approved lifting that much (part of job return requirements.) Good body mechanics would require some bending past 90 at waist, lifting with arms and legs. I’m thinking for those occasional times, it would just fine. I was curious what others’ experience might be. I’m probably WAY overthinking this. I just want to take the best care of this marvelous new hip.
 
Another update: failed my physical competency test today. So no return to work until I do. My legs were not able to support lifting 50# from floor, stepping forward on one leg, placing on a shelf and then back again (let alone 4 times in 20 seconds.) :flabber: I’m disappointed but not surprised. So I will keep the exercise going and try and enjoy the holiday weekend while my husband and I come up with plan B. Big sigh. :umm:
 
I’m so sorry @Hip4life I bet you are disappointed. Your hip will be ready when it’s ready. Sending healing thoughts and prayers your way. Hope you have a restful weekend. ❤️
 
I was going to say heavy lifting is not what new hips like or need.
It can be very common at my position also but I relied on others for first six months for anything over about 30 lbs.
Also had a hard time not twisting with this weight load...unloading multiple boxes...hard to remember to try to step and turn every time.
I'm sorry this derails your plan, but think it is ultimately for the best as Yes, taking care of that marvelous new hip is priority One!
Things will keep getting better...
Hope you have a peaceful weekend!
 
My hipster sister @Hip4life, I know how disappointed you must be. I lift a lot of boxes for my job too but 50# is a lot and it's really best that you don't put your brand new hip in danger. Anything over 20# and I'm screaming for my hubs to do the lifting since we work at home. It's actually good that you found out before you went back to your job but unfortunate trying to figure out that Plan B! Hope your able to enjoy your weekend. :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you, everyone for your support. I have another try but when? HR wants 1-2 weeks. The nurse (she works the rehab floor) who gave me the test kept repeating, maybe you should give it another 4 weeks. Might have to engage my negotiating skills again. They really don’t want to lose me. Too much experience. God has always taken care of us and will again. In the meantime, hubby and I are going to enjoy the long holiday weekend. Hoping you’ll have a great weekend as well. :yes:
 
Sounds like that hip is in charge of this activity. Unfortunately there is no rushing a new hip. Lifting is one thing that needs to be done very carefully. Build up the weight very slowly. I agree with the nurse - at least 4 weeks.
 
Hipster sister @Hip4life, hope you're feeling good and enjoying the weekend with your hubby! And just 2 days to go and we'll be 3 months post-op! Do you believe it's been that long already.........and then again, sometimes it feels like it was just yesterday. Hope you're having great weather to celebrate the holiday!! :roseshwr:
 
@Hip4life Happy 3 month anniversary Hipster Sister!!! We made it this far without any major disaster, lol! Enjoy your day! :friends::flwrysmile:
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you enjoyed the long holiday weekend and continue to do well in your recovery.
With any luck you'll be able to return to work soon as you've planned.
In the meantime, we hope to continue sharing in your progress.
Have a wonderful week!
@Hip4life
 
Thank you @Layla and @SE Florida! Yes, hard to believe it’s our 3 month anniversary! Weird that I was supposed to start back to work today as well. It’s comical that it was okay for me to work so debilitated before surgery (I certainly couldn’t have passed the physical competency then, nor could I walk!) and am so much better now. Anyway, until that finally happens, I’m enjoying working on my strength, walking outdoors, and cheering on fellow members here. All in all, doing well and feeling very blessed. Happy anniversary, SE Florida! Wishing you continued good recovery, health, and many blessings. ❤️
 
Thank you @Layla and @SE Florida! It’s comical that it was okay for me to work so debilitated before surgery (I certainly couldn’t have passed the physical competency then, nor could I walk!)
I burst out laughing reading that!!! I never thought of it that way! I could barely walk from my car to the office but yet my boss made me bring in a "doctor's excuse" saying I could work again! I felt like I was back in grade school! :rotfl:
 
Well, keep having fun doing what you're doing until you can go back to work. We appreciate and enjoy your company here. I hope it's a beautiful day in your neck of the woods and you're able to get out for a walk.
Happy Wednesday!
@Hip4life
 
:flwrysmile:Hello @Hip4life Hope you enjoyed the long holiday weekend. Can’t believe it’s already Wednesday. Week is flying. Just thinking about you friend and wanted to send you some cheer.
 
@Hip4life sorry about the competency test but I do think things happen for a reason. I have to agree about it is so funny that there seems to be no problem or concern when we're dragging in to work prior to surgery but woohoo, don't let us come back until we jump through their hoops!

Had that happen after my back surgery, worked for same company then. The military unit I supported was really missing me doing my job and asked if maybe they could allow me to work from home but the company was totally against that. They wanted a doctors slip to cover them. All about the bottom line.

Sounds like you are at least enjoying the extra time off so I say go for it! You'll go back when the hip says you can.
:thumb:
 
Thank you @Elf1 for the support. My husband had somewhat of a financial worry meltdown today. I totally understand but we have options and I can’t change how the hip is healing besides what I’m doing. It really is just a temporary set back and all will work out one way or another, as always. It is all in one’s mindset. I’ll just keep plugging along the best I can. :SUNsmile:
 
Hi hipster sister, thought I'd check in to see how you are. I hope you're doing well and maybe getting outside for some walks and just enjoying life! @Hip4life :roseshwr:
 
Thanks for checking in with me @SE Florida. Sorry I’ve been away for a little bit. Life happens, right? Yes, I have been trying to enjoy life as much as possible as I hope you are doing. There still is that back to work cloud hanging over my head. Will again try the physical competency this Thursday. Hoping for the best but improvement is so incremental at this point, I honestly really don’t know how I’m going to do. I guess we’ll deal with that bridge if it comes to that.
The only other thing that is really bugging me is I have this brain fog. I forget things and where I put them. Usually I’m very good at problem solving but now sometimes the answer doesn’t come right away. I’m not taking any prescription pain meds. Can anyone else relate to this?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom