Josephine
NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITA
6 weeks
I suggest you take Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day at 6hrly intervals, less what ever acetaminophen is in the oxycodone
Gabapentin is not actually a pain med - it's an anticonvulsant medication for neuropathic pain
okay ...... Pain 3-7 activity, 0-2 at rest
Are you not taking oxycodone now?3. Oxycodone 1-2 tabs Q4: 1st week post op
Tylenol 500mg, 2 tabs 4 times a day
Celebrex 200mg twice a day
Gabapentin 100mg 1-2
I suggest you take Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day at 6hrly intervals, less what ever acetaminophen is in the oxycodone
Gabapentin is not actually a pain med - it's an anticonvulsant medication for neuropathic pain
okay but you should ice at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.4. Icing 45-60 mins 2-3x post activity and before bed.
Then you should. And elevate while you ice.5. Elevating leg anytime I’m not active and at night.
That's far too much. Did you read the Recovery Guidelines in the second post of this thread? Specially this one Activity progression for THRs6. Light housekeeping: dishes, laundry, vacuuming, etc; shopping 1x week; social outings 2-3x per week.
Exercises at home:[
Hospital “warm ups” 10 reps before getting up
Walking: 4-5x per day: 2, 20-30min walks with 1-2 rests, half of each session need to use cane.
2-3 sessions around house 10-15 mins, no cane.
13 stairs, foot over foot, x 2 per day
Pool exercises: 2-3x per week:
Gentle leg and arm stretches
water walking: 50 yards, 2x per session,
In place marching 30 reps x1 per session
Standing side leg raises x15 per session
Standing back leg raises x15 per session
Half sitting squats 15 reps, 2x per session
Kick board: 50 yards x 2
Laps: gentle free-style: 25 yards, 50 yards x2, 100 yards x 2, with rests in between. Above exercises interspersed with the swims.
Back stroke: 50 yards.
All of the swim takes place over 30-40mins, still following precautions, no flip turns
If your surgeon's policy is no PT, why are you doing all those exercises I have crossed out before? Did you think they didn't count?No PT: My Orthopaedic’s philosophy
United Kingdom


If this experience has taught me anything, it’s you need to take care of yourself first for once especially in this instance. This is not what I expected but I quickly learned that my hip was in charge. I was supposed to go back to work April 15. Now it’s May 28 because I needed that time, insisted on it and guess what? Everyone involved has made it work. Not everyone is blessed like that but usually I would just “push through” for others. Not this time. I think it helped me be able to build up my exercise in a little more step-wise fashion and be able to back off when I did too much that has worked for me even though it has taken longer. I hope you can find what works for you. Happy to help if you need any advice. Now I truly need to prepare for back to reality. That post follows.
I felt something “slide” on the front of my hip/thigh and then it got pretty sore and thus affected my walking, etc. My OS was very kind, patient, and reassuring. He encouraged me to be patient with myself and the healing process, as it will take time, especially with these occasional minor setbacks. He wanted to give it a chance to correct itself but if it doesn’t, then he could treat it.
Then I remembered that my only other options were quitting or being terminated so the answer came out yes. There it was, feeling ready or not.
The only thing that keeps from running away from home is that one, I have a keeper of a husband and two, I have the most amazing boss who is going to phase me back in to work however I need to. 






