THR My journey, if only I had known<

Thank you and Happy Anniversary to you as well @SE Florida! Taking it a day at a time. Asked for and received another round of Celebrex from OS to try and get things a little less “reactive” with activity. Has been helping. Trying to increase walking distance and build stamina. It’s been so beautiful outside, it’s still hard to not overdo even at this point in recovery. Sigh. :good-bad:
 
You are definitely right @Hip4life the weather has been beautiful. I love being outside and can't help but try to do a few things. Still too early for me to do without paying for it later :groan: but hopefully all will be well before the nice weather leaves Florida. We only get like one month of what I consider good weather...........I'm just not into heat, humidity and hurricanes!!! :blackcloud:Sounds like you're doing pretty good, keep it up!!
 
Hi :hi: @Hip4life
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope all continues to go well for you.
Wishing you a lovely Sunday and a wonderful week.
 
Congrats hipster sister! :dancy::dancy: And I thought it was on Thursday, lol! :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you, ladies! I guess I’ve counted my anniversaries by weeks on the weekday I had the surgery but by date works well, too. I’ve been okayed to start swimming and it has been great to get back in the pool. Great for PT exercises as well as laps. Then to float weightless before getting out...heaven for me. With walking, this is my plan for building strength and stamina before heading back to work in 2-3 weeks (stretching the medical leave as long as I can, and nobody’s had an issue with it.) Hope all is going well with you, @SarahBee, @SE Florida, and @Hoppy Nanny. It’s hard to believe it’s been 2 months. I’m so grateful to be on this side counting anniversaries in recovery.
:loveshwr::cheers: :yay:
 
It sure goes fast doesn't it @Hip4life! I go back on May 10th and hopefully I'll get the "all clear" too. It sounds like you're doing really well if you're already doing laps! Keep it up! :flwrysmile:
 
Hello. Here’s an update: still having quite a bit of tightness, soreness/pain and stiffness. Haven’t ramped up physical activity too much and have actually pared back some days. Mostly just walking. Still elevating and icing and taking Tylenol. I’m frustrated and discouraged that I’m still experiencing the pain and stiffness that I am 10 weeks post op. So I called the OS office and am going to see the doc next Tuesday. Hopefully he can shed some light. My Medical leave ends at the end of the month. I want to be camping, going to baseball games, gardening, etc. (I have to work so I didn’t include that :heehee: ) It sounds/feels a lot like some of the experiences with tendinitis and bursitis posted on this forum. But what do I know? I didn’t know I had bone on bone arthritis, either! :loll:Anyway, have a great weekend everyone. I’ll keep you posted.
 
I had hoped your pool exercises would help you out. I have used my seated/lying exercises because I don't do pools to encourage my thighs to loosen up. It's amazing that not only is everyone's recovery different, but the exercises which help one are nothing for someone else. Hope you have a lovely weekend and that your OS can clarify some things for you. Hang in there! :console2:
 
Your recovery sounds very typical, Stiffness and soreness will continue. If you push trying to build up stamina you stand a good chance of joining the 3mo over did it club. I know firsthand. Your mind says you need to do more and that will strengthen the muscles. Then your body protests and you're sitting in the icing chair with the fears that you did permanent damage. It's really hard to make yourself, and everyone else that keeps telling you how quickly their 90 year old great aunt recovered, believe just how long this recovery takes.
 
Your trips to the pool sounds lovely (even to a non-swimmer). My 1st recovery wasn't typical in any sense of the word but from what I've seen on this forum muscle fatigue can continue to re-visit up to a year at least. I would guess the pool is the best possible place to work through it. Hope it passes soon to make room for next hiccup :)
 
Hi @Hip4life
I'm sorry you're struggling somewhat and disappointed in your progress. It can take a full year for recovery and you're only 2½ months post op.

Let's ask the forum Nurse @Josephine to weigh in on your pain and see if she has any advice before you head back to work at the end of the month. I'm sure she'll have questions so please check back periodically. Josephine resides in the UK so she may be 5-6 hrs ahead of you time wise. Just something to be aware of.
Wishing you comfort and a pleasant weekend.
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Of course, Josephine.
 
Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1. Posterior

2. Pain 3-7 activity, 0-2 at rest

3. Oxycodone ?mg: 1-2 tabs Q4: 1st week post op
Tramadol ?mg PRN, 1 Q4-6, Pre and post op (had side effects with this, so didn’t take much)
Tylenol 500mg, 2 tabs Q 6-8 hours.
Celebrex 200mg BID
Gabapentin 100mg 1-2, at HS
Ambien 6.25mg 1 tab q HS prn (not currently needing)

4. Icing 45-60 mins 2-3x post activity and before bed.

5. Elevating leg anytime I’m not active and at night.

6. Light housekeeping: dishes, laundry, vacuuming, etc; shopping 1x week; social outings 2-3x per week.

7. Exercises at home:
Hospital “warm ups” 10 reps before getting up
Walking: 4-5x per day: 2, 20-30min walks with 1-2 rests, half of each session need to use cane.
2-3 sessions around house 10-15 mins, no cane.
13 stairs, foot over foot, x 2 per day

Pool exercises: 2-3x per week:
Gentle leg and arm stretches
water walking: 50 yards, 2x per session,
In place marching 30 reps x1 per session
Standing side leg raises x15 per session
Standing back leg raises x15 per session
Half sitting squats 15 reps, 2x per session
Kick board: 50 yards x 2
Laps: gentle free-style: 25 yards, 50 yards x2, 100 yards x 2, with rests in between. Above exercises interspersed with the swims.
Back stroke: 50 yards.
All of the swim takes place over 30-40mins, still following precautions, no flip turns.

No PT: My Orthopaedic’s philosophy

Sorry about milligrams on some meds but I’m not at home to check.

Thank you, Josephine, for your support and advice. Are there any specific questions I should be asking my OS when I see him Tuesday?
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom