Guest viewing is limited

THR My journey, if only I had known<

Happy Two Year Anniversary!
Wishing you many more. :)
@Hip4life
 
Happy 2 Year Hipversary, @Hip4life :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

Glad you share your story and hope and encouragement to other members.:) :-) (:
 
Congrats on 2 years! It is so wonderful to be back doing all of your normal activities, but now without pain!
 
Hello, all. On this occasion of my (almost) 5th Hip-versary, I'm taking a little side journey. Righty is doing well and has kept me in the game doing all the things I love. I am still so grateful for the amazing technology and people who helped me achieve that. But now lefty is causing issues. Last June, I was all ready to accept the diagnosis of advanced osteoarthritis and another hip replacement. Imagine my surprise when the surgeon told me that the joint was not the problem! A flare of arthritis and most likely, bursitis. A round of Meloxicam and let's see where you are in a couple of months or so. It helped a little with the groin pain but not the pain I was having at the outside of my hip and it caused me stomach issues. Let's try Celebrex (at my request because I had tolerated it before.) Same result. Then physical therapy. It toned my muscles some but then I hurt even more. The doctor decided an MRI was in order. Ahhh! Now we have some answers.

The MRI showed many things but the most relevant thing that needed attention was torn abductor muscle tendons that attach to the greater trochanter. The doctor explained to me that the two muscles (gluteus medius and minimus) are similar to the rotator cuff in the shoulder. They help with stabilizing the hip and with motion and moving the leg away from the body. Along with moderate bursitis, that was what was causing my pain, especially with walking and going up stairs. I was referred to another OS that specialized in repairing these tendons. He explained my options: do more of what I was doing or surgery was indicated. I could think about it and let him know.

I wasn't too keen about surgery or too sure about taking on a surgeon I wasn't familiar with, I thought hard about surgery and learned what I could about both. As my physical status continued to decline (the tears were most likely a degenerative condition and would not heal on their own) I decided to proceed with surgery. Just like my other hip, I was not being able to do the activities I love without pain and limitation. That was, and is, not acceptable.

So tomorrow, I will have the tendons repaired and reattached to the trochanter with bone anchors. It is an open procedure so the incision will be similar to the posterior one I had with the right. The recovery will include a hip brace, crutches/walker and partial weight bearing for 6 weeks. I'm sure pain is included in there, somewhere. Lol.
I feel well equipped with being a BoneSmart graduate and a helpful hubby. So, I better finish getting everything ready. I will keep you all posted from the healing side. Blessings.
 
Really sorry to hear you're having another surgery. I hope it's quick and recovery is smooth!
 
So sorry to hear you need more surgery, you have been such an inspiration to me during my recovery helping out with sage advice.
I hope it all goes well, keep us posted.
It's great to having understanding & patient partner, I thank goodness for mine!
 
It sounds like you have been really thoughtful and thorough in determining what to do each step of the way. I am like that too, and once I have explored all the options and found they did/didn't help, it sure makes it easier to accept the idea of surgery and go into it with confidence. You've been helpful and supportive of others on the forum-----now it's time to let others support you. Best of luck with your surgery AND your recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
Just catching up on the forum, as I have been recovering from some surgery of my own (not hip related, thankfully) and saw this post.
Hoping you are in full healing mode and sending you all the best mojo I can muster:loveshwr::friends::flwrysmile:
-
 
Wow, you are doing the right thing. Hope your surgery goes well! Wishing you all the best.
 
Hi there :wave:
Hope you're doing well at 11 days post op. Wishing you comfort and speedy healing.
@Hip4life
 
Thanks @Layla and all, for the great well wishes. Everything is coming along as well as can be expected. It is crazy that today is my 5th hip-versary. Unbelievable! Although, not as involved as the THR, this surgery/recovery has many similarities with it. I was much more confident/less anxious about this one already kinda knowing what to expect. One of the real aspects is the energy drain/brain fog that happens as your body is trying to heal while you're asking it to start doing more and more normal things. Lol.

The surgery went well with the only real issues were a very sore palate/throat and I was very dizzy post-op with my BP being all over the place. Thankfully, the recovery room nurse along with PT wouldn't recommend or clear me to go home, so I stayed overnight at the hospital. I felt much better the following morning and went through all my paces with OT and PT the next day without incident so I was able to go home. Having only partial weight bearing (20 lbs.), a hip brace and a walker, PT recommended that I remain on our main floor for at least a couple of weeks so that also changed up a few things. I am so glad we decided to invest in a lift recliner. It has been wonderful to help stand up as well as sleep since we didn't move the bedroom down to the first floor this time, The throat has finally gone back to normal but I will be speaking to the surgeon about why it was so bad for so long besides just because I had general anesthesia. This was way different than the "usual."

On a good note: the brace has not been the "terrible" contraption I was warned about. Inconvenient, yes, but with expert fitting (I had another adjustment today) I really don't even think much about it and it gives a nice feeling of stability.

@Kritterkiddo Yes, the tendons can tear just like the rotator cuff of the shoulder. Who knew? It can be from trauma or just degeneration the same way, too. It just depends on whether someone is symptomatic or not. I have since learned that more and more, doctors are investigating torn tendons as a possible source of recalcitrant lateral hip pain instead of labeling it just bursitis. Greater trochanteric pain syndrome is becoming the new, broader diagnosis. It's still a process to work through but it is nice to know that doctors are becoming more aware that it might not be as simple a diagnosis as it once was.

Well, I have a post op follow up this Friday with bandage removal. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for listening.
 
Welcome to recovery! Hey we need to update your signature!

I'm glad you got the overnight stay and that the new chair is working well.
 
@Hip4life glad you're feeling better, I know you still have a long road ahead but know you'll come through with flying colors.

Interesting info about the tendons and now what they're calling trochanteric syndrome. I may have to research this more.
 
It's hard to believe that surgery was three weeks ago. Seems like yesterday and a long time ago at the same time. All went well at the post op check a week ago. The surgeon is pleased with the healing so far. So more of the same (walker and partial weight bearing) until I see him again on Mar 28th. He beat me to the punch: "Yeah, boring!" But necessary. At least, he gave the okay for some VERY gentle and basic PT. Which will help get the leg ready for real walking and break up the monotony a little. This past week was that transitional time when you are still not feeling the greatest yet but you are ready to do more of the normal stuff. That usually means a Crabby Patty at our house. God bless my patient husband.

I went to the first PT yesterday. My husband had to drive as I'm not yet ready or able to get into the van. I can get into his car but it's a manual transmission. So there we are. I love this PT guy. He said, "We're putting on the kid gloves for you." So I knew we were going to get along fine. He knew all about my surgery and how fragile the repair was for these first several weeks. He corrected my use of the walker (because I was just scary, he said. Nervous Lol) They never seem to have time to cover those small important details when you're discharged. It was an easy fix with the right info. I got mostly isometric exercises and basic small movement exercises for the lower leg. All very doable and warnings if the pain ramped up. I came away with a lot of good information. I call that a good session. The other thing I was very happy to hear was "It may say on the rehab sheet that we should be doing this or that at this particular time, but everyone is different and heals at different rates. We'll go by how you're doing each week and progressing ONLY when you and your muscles are ready." Sound familiar? Onward and upward!
 
Sounds like you found a gem of a therapist, @Hip4life. Glad to read that you are practicing what we all preach: slow and gentle.

Here's to an easy recovery!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom