TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Dogloverx3,
Sorry you have so much on your plate. Maybe your OS would order a knee brace to stabilize your knee? Just a thought.
That needle would scare me too, I would rather not know about it, and think it was a little syringe.
Hoping you feel better tomorrow.



Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Yeah, two weeks now without this site. I really miss everyone! This is the only thread I can get on consistently. Can't load pages at all. :sad:
 
Using the App on my iPhone the performance is what I used to see on the website. Speedy but lacking certain functionality.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I miss everyone! @Phil75070 is right, things seem better on my phone, but I can't post from there. I'm so far behind on everyone, I feel bad. There's no way I can catch up. Boo.

I hadn't thought of a stabilizing brace @Pumpkln . I'm guessing you're thinking of one of those big ole' metal things with hinges like a DonJoy or whatever they're called. Not sure that would help. My knee seems stable enough (although it did give out on my last night while I was at a painting class with my favorite artistic buddy), it's just sore and swollen. *sigh* I don't know what to do anymore other than to dig out my pain meds again.

As I seem to post about knee and personal happenings equally these days, it's happened again. I've been dumped. Via text message. Awesome. 'Bad timing' which I think is a load of BS (and I don't mean bonesmart) unless your parole is being revoked or you're soaring off into space. He wants to move. Not sure where. He'll be here a while longer but doesn't want to get involved with anyone. That would have been a great epiphany for him to have BEFORE we actually met. He just didn't like me enough to see where things could go.

Not the best of days for me, but oh well. He could have at least waited until AFTER my birthday. AND painting my fireplace.... ;-)
 
Yes that type of brace, if it is right for you.
Sorry to hear about the text dumping, I liked it better when they had to squirm in person. I agree he should have waited until after your birthday, and painting your fireplace.
 
Hello @DogLoverx3- I'm just catching up as this website is soooo slow at times. I'm sorry to hear about everything you're going through...not cool with the dump by text. I certainly hope you have a nice weekend!

Take care,
Gina
 
Hi DogLoverx3 I can't believe what cowards these men are. Or maybe we should say immature boys. London with Dogwheels sounds better all the time. I hope Richard is behaving. Patient99 had a post on her thread that she has seen a difference in her knee 18 months out! Gives a lot of people hope!
 
Thanks @zlady , @Pumpkln & @Jozilla . Richard isn't being very kind today and for some reason, the Gabapentin is making me dizzy....

Yes, dating at my age sucks. All these formerly great guys have been 'broken' by cruddy women in the past so they have some issues going on. Although being dumped via text is lame beyond belief, I actually feel bad for him. I think he's going through some sort of a mid life crisis.....he didn't take the time to know that I am just selfless (and stupid) enough to do what I can to make others happy...even at my own expense. In the end, everything works out as it should, but is sure does suck in the interim. ;-)

Hope everyone is having a good day!!

xoxoxoxo
 
It's incredible you're still pretty positive with the outcome! I'm right there with you with the knee...I've been doing what I consider fairly well & decided I would go to the grocery store. Started out good but by the time I was done my knee was screaming..so much pain in the back of the knee and just the feeling that a rod is being shoved in your bone! Oh my gosh had to ice & elevate & take Tylenol. Feeling much better! I hate grocery shopping!

:)
 
I give up. It took me over a minute to get into @Ellejay 's page and longer than that to get onto mine. I am so sorry for not being able to pop around and check on everyone. :-(

@dogwheels , I LOVE the new avatar picture! Very very pretty!

To all else who have been keeping tabs on me (you know who you are and even if I tagged everyone, you wouldn't be able to load my page anyway) ;-)

I heard back from the Pain Specialist on Friday. The 'test' injection (really? all that for a test?) seemed to work for a few hours so they want to try the series of 5. I can neither afford or want to do all 5, but want to try it one more time, not as a 'test' and see if it helps. I'm starting to run out of money with all of my 'fix it' attempts. If this next one doesn't work, then I think I'm out of options. I'll have to keep taking the Gabapentin (which I wanted to get off of) and Celebrex. :-( My knee seems to be going in the wrong direction at the moment regarding recovery, but hopefully things will turn around. The scheduler was supposed to call me Friday to get me on the books, but she didn't.

Not sure when I want to try this again though. I am going to Rocky Point this coming weekend for my birthday. A very quick Friday night - Sunday afternoon trip to get me to an ocean. I am about the least spiritual person around, but there's something about an ocean. Even with all the chaos and **** (no clue what the powers that be might change the previous word to) that is going on right now, it will center me and calm everything down. I will sit and look and listen for hours and all will be good and at peace....

2 weeks after that I am driving with a friend to California for the holiday weekend (I don't remember volunteering for that, but whatever), so while she is attending a wedding, I will be finding the nearest beach.

I am having to wear a compression brace most days as Richard has been acting up, so that's putting a kink in my wardrobe selection. ;-) Yes, vanity is well and good in my world still. ;-)

Now, as for that horrorscope that said that July/August was going to be MY month - I guess he/she is a drinker. I've taken down my online dating profiles. I can't quite handle the rejection right now. I really thought the last 2 were something special and was pretty sure they thought I was as well. Ha. I think I'm such a good judge of character and really try to be a good person, so not sure why these things keep happening to me, but for now, I'm opting out. And possibly starting to adopt a huge collection of cats. ;-)

I will end my ramble here and hope that everyone is doing well and that the website issues get fixed toot sweet so I can get back to checking up on all my knee-friends! xoxoxoxoxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - this site has been getting on my nerves for ages. It's better than it was, but painfully slow at times. But hey! Wonders will never cease, I actually got the alert when you tagged me. Ta da!

Thanks for the kind words about the avatar - hmmmm, the eyes are the give away and the bags underneath!! I am sooo.... tired. After working flat out all day yesterday and being nice and pleasant to everybody and not rude or sarcastic(quite a feat for me) all evening - we then had a storm last night of Biblical proportions and the wind was howling and rain pounding all night long. Hubby well lubricated with wine, was snoring for Britain, my knee was stiff and a bit swollen and all I wanted to do was SLEEP. As soon as I have finished this, I am away to my bed ............ that's if I don't fall asleep mid sentence!

Last night was good and we raised a lot of money. I had to laugh though, as lots of people there hadn't seen me since the TKR. One couple were going on about her 'awful' arthroscopy and his upcoming one. They asked me what a TKR was like ?! I could have had such fun with that, but behaved myself. Believe it or not she wanted a replacement to improve her tennis game! I had to bite my tongue, and politely point out that the goal was to improve intolerable pain, not performance. I think she was put off a bit when I lifted the hem of my dress and showed them the result. My scar is looking quite good now, but I don't think she realised the extent of it. Not particularly pretty dahling. Ha ha ha!

Standing to do all the food prep and cooking yesterday brought it home to me quite how dreadful it must have been for you in the early stages of your recovery and continuing your business. I really don't know how you managed it. No wonder 'Richard' kept making his feelings known.

Sorry about the dating - also, sorry the cost of your magic injections is so high. Hopefully the next one you have will prove if the complete course will be worth the $'s. The cost is a bummer but I really hope this will help you with the pain that you are having to put up with.

Enjoy your Birthday trip to the ocean - and also your trip to California. My daughter has just booked a trip in 8 weeks time to visit an old friend from Uni who lives in Hong Kong and is now the proud daddy of 2 lovely little girls. She has been to HK before with us, and loved it, so is really excited. She has booked with Emirates Air, and will break her journey on the way back in Dubai. She dislikes Dubai almost as much as me, so she is going to get a coach to Abu Dhabi (where we lived and which is infinitely nicer) for a week's R and R before going back to work. I am SO envious and am now working out where husband and I can go in the not too distant future.

Must go and sleep. Talk soon and take care

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz XXX
 
Gee, vacations in Europe/over-seas ALWAYS sound so much more impressive than going to california and mexico! ;-) Good for your daughter for getting away and taking such a lovely vacation.

Yes, you will need to plan something with your captain in the near future! You've certainly earned it! Sorry your weekend was so much work but thrilled to hear what a success it was! I'm sorry your knee is paying you back as well. I went to the mall yesterday with a friend (I absolutely loathe malls) and just walking around for 2 hours sent Richard into a fit of epic proportions. I'm going to look into getting a 'real' knee brace. Not the cheapy ones that I have been using. Trouble is, none of my doctors seem to think there's an issue with the implant. I can't imagine why they aren't searching harder for what the cause of all the pain is then. I am really starting to think it has to do with my patella as a result of the surgery. I need to track down @mcirish as I know he had one of those massive DonJoy thingies and I was just looking on their website for ones that deal with the patella. As long as I am apparently going to need to wear a brace again (huh, thought I got this surgery so I wouldn't have to wear one anymore, but whatever). They are pretty major looking braces, so I figured if I have to have one, I'm going for the red and black one that looks like something Ironman would wear. ;-) Not sure if you have to be officially measured for one though, so need to do some more research.

Anywhoo, I hope that your knee is feeling better and that some rest and ice has helped. Yes, the early days having to be on my feet were horrible - I cried hard and often. It was a no win - I couldn't stand long, but then I couldn't get into and out of chairs...ugh. Never again.

Oh, and as for the people being 'aghast' at your scar or thinking their scope was a 'poodle' (thought i'd help the grammar police with this one), if only they knew. We should get badges of honor for going through what we have.

I hope that you're having a wonderful Monday!

xoxoxoxox
 
Ellen theycome in different sizs, you will want to be measured.
@maryo52 , wears a knee brace and would be best to advise.
Sorry you are having so much troubles.
 
Thanks @Pumpkln ! I appreciate the info about @maryo52 and the DonJoy knee brace. Just wondering how to go about getting one and who I would go to. I figure it's time for me to take responsibility for 'fixing' whatever is going on, so just starting to do my research. Any information that anyone can give me would be much appreciated!

I read a post last night from someone who said that they were now scared/discouraged by all the negative posts about TKR and then she/he went on to 'thank' those that posted positive things. Not sure if I took it wrong, but if they happen to come across my thread, I hope they know that our 'complaining' isn't just complaining. That we are going through some challenges with our recovery and truly wished that we had nothing to 'complain' about. Everyone comes out of this surgery differently. Some are very lucky. Some, not so much. We are all just looking for ways to improve our quality of life and if it takes venting or complaining on here to have someone offer up a constructive suggestion, then so be it. I know for me, personally, being 8 months out and still not able to do the things I could prior to surgery, that I 'complain' a lot. I am just looking for answers. It's not done to discourage anyone or to taint their recovery or decision to have a TKR. While I am disappointed in my results, for sure, I also know that I will get better in time. Until that time though, this is my 'safe haven' for whining, complaining, asking for help and support.
 
If you get a script from your OS or Primary, your insurance will pay. You will have to check some braces require a script.
There is an article in the Library that address's that people who have problems are more likely to be posting, and that most people go on to resume their active life. New forum users: a word of caution
 
@DogLoverx3 - boys suck, unless they are dogs. That is all. Maybe the universe is just telling you that you need to focus on you and Richard for now and worry about the rest, later. Also - I don't think you should disparage your clued inness on relationships, you've been on tons of pain meds and nerve interrupters - I think you can be forgiven if you missed a sign or two!

RE the person that thanked people for complaining - I could easily say the same! If I hadn't seen this site I'd assume that everything was generally rosy and I'd be back in yoga in a month, you know? This site has people with all kinds of experiences so it's very helpful to know to be prepared for something other than the ideal. I didn't read it though so I've got no idea what the intent was.

I do know that I've had 2nd, 3rd and 4th thoughts about doing this and when I DO it (still Feb, so far!) I'll do it having decided that the risk is worth it, actually knowing what the risk is rather than blindly assuming all will be perfect.
 
@TexasTee Having had one done and now the other one acting up again just tells me that the decision to have a TKR was the right one. And believe me, there are no 2nd thoughts or hesitation about getting the other one done even knowing that no two knees will recover exactly the same way or at the same pace. I just don't want to waste prime golf time only to be recovered and ready to go at it again in the dead of our winter. I'd rather do my recovery during that time.

I'm about a week away from 5 months post-op and though the knee doesn't feel "natural" yet and somewhat "stiff" or "full" (not sure how to describe the feeling but it is not what I would describe as pain) there isn't anything I can't do other than try to kneel on it yet! :scaredycat:
 
I'm also thankful for people like you Phil - it's great to see people with the outcome you WANT to have as well as know the possibilities. Go golf!!
 
@DogLoverx3 Yours is one of the threads I have been able to get on. woo hoo!
It is very frustrating and I miss everyone too. I need to be able to vent here too. (On the forum) and my recovery has been nothing like I expected. I didn't expect a cake walk, but this has been way harder than I could imagine.
Men....oh men....what can I say? You are such a special woman. I know that.
I am so happy you get to go to the ocean. It is so land locked here. The ocean speaks to me too. I lived in Washinton State and California and the ocean mesmerized me.
I wish you could find better answers for your pain. Do OS's not want to hear it? I often wonder that since it could possibly point to something they did.........?
I feel like you, I miss everyone and am so behind keeping up with what is going on with the people who have become friends on here. I don't understand what has happened. I have gone on to the techy place to explain my issues with the site.
x x
~hopefaith
 
Happy Birthday - wishing you all the nicest things and that this coming year will be a massive improvement on the last one!

Apologies for posting early birthday wishes, but I need to be up super early in the morning as I am going up to London with daughter to choose the hearing aid. She has opted for the first appointment of the day - but that will mean busy busy trains in the rush hour. We are therefore going a tad earlier in the hopes that it will be slightly quieter. I am then getting a train down to the coast to join hubby who drove down earlier today.
I will not be lugging my laptop with and so will have to resort to posting by phone. As my severely limited technical knowhow is incapable of working out how to upload a file using my phone ........ you have got this a bit early.

Enjoy your weekend trip and happy, happy Birthday!

[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
XXXXXXXXXXX
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom