TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
XXX
 
Eagarly awaiting a terrific report back from the "Twilight zone..." assuming, that is, that you can get this site to load. Jeesh!
 
@DogLoverx3
Hi Ellen,
Just checking in to see how you are doing. I hope things went okay with the procedure today.
Looking forward to hearing how you are doing.
Take care!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi All. Thanks so much for checking in. I tried to catch up a bit on everyone's threads, but waiting for the pages to load got uber frustrating so I gave up. Sorry.

Sooooo, I arrived yesterday for my Sympathetic Lumbar Nerve Block as nervous as I was last week about the mere thought of a needle in my back. The only saving grace was that I would be in a 'twilight' sedation. Or so I thought. Come to find out that nope, no sedation of any sort as that might throw off the results of the 'test'. Super. They take me into the room and I warn the nurse that I'm a horrible patient, a crier and that I was a nervous wreck. The doctor was very nice and talked his way through the procedure. He gave me massive amounts of Lidocaine (sp?) so I would feel any/much pain. The Lidocaine stung going in and the procedure itself created a ton of pressure all the way down to my pelvis. Although it didn't hurt, per se, it was hugely uncomfortable. When it was over, they had me take a seat in a little waiting area outside the procedure room to make sure I was okay where the nurse out there proceeds to let me know, when I asked why it felt like the doctor was working off to one side of my spine and not directly above it, that he uses a 6-8" long needles so yes, does go in from the side. Yikes. Thank goodness I didn't know that going in.

I was given a little tracking sheet so I could chart my pain every hour and we could figure out if this helped or not. As it was just a 'test', he said any results would be short lived. Trouble is, I'm just not sure if it helped or not. :-( I 'think' my pain was less, but was it less enough to warrant the cost and general uncomfortableness of the procedure itself? I was sort of hoping for a clear cut result but since nothing in this recovery has been clear cut, I don't know why I thought this would be any different.

I'm not sure what to do. Would it be worth it to try one more time? Am I 'allowed' to try it one more time or do I have to go thru the entire series of 5? I guess I have more questions to ask.....

I hope everyone is doing well. xoxoxo
 
Sucktastic! I was really hoping for some angels singing Hallelujah or something of that magnitude – did they say what “short lived” was? A day, a week? Maybe go do something nutty and fun, you know, act normal for a day. If it lets you function, probably worth it, if it doesn’t…well, just me, but if someone is sticking me with an 8 inch needle, there better be something more than maybe it’s a little better.
 
Hey Ellen. Hope everything is going well.....as good as possible anyway. Sorry to hear that you are still battling with that pain. Still been dealing with some pain/discomfort myself, but nothing like you've been dealing with. Write back when you are able.
 
I am glad to hear you are okay. This site has been a nightmare but we were all worried for you! Those are some serious questions I hope they answer for you. The type of injections I had were called transforaminal epidural and within a day I could feel a big difference. I also had just two regular epidural which did nothing. I think it's a matter of finding the one that's right for you which is only ok when you have health insurance that pays for it! I hope you feel better!
 
@DogLoverx3 I am able to post here, so before I lose my connection yet again, I want you to know I am thinking of you. The procedure sounds very tedious. Did he think it would be obvious if it helped after one time? It sounds confusing.

x x
Hopefaith
 
I am a crier too. (No pass out moment there) :heehee:
I had another OS appt. no PA this time after how "bad" he thought I was doing. But he said he was very surprised at my increased ROM so this neuro brain technique must be working. He said he didn't expect me to gain that much in 3 weeks. Sorry this should go on my thread, but I can't get on there. :boohoo:
 
You can post whatever you'd like on my thread @hopefaith . :-) I never used to be a crier, I think I've just reached my limit for stress and frustration though .....

Thanks @Jozilla & @TexasTee , yes, I would have loved for there to have been a parting of the clouds and angels singing instead of me looking befuddled and scratching my head. I didn't hear back from the PA today, so still have no idea if my results were 'good' or not. I tried NOT taking my gabapentin today and, I must say, that was a fairly stupid thing for me to do.

@mcirish ! How are you, my friend?!?! I'm guessing you're dealing with overdid it pain as you're back out there, getting back to your life. I'm still trying to get back to where I was with only a 'bad' knee and not this craptastic thing I have now. ;-) I hope you are doing well!

So, during my girls' staycation, I plopped down on the bed and put both legs up on the headboard and asked my friends if my TKR leg looked 'crooked', as in, it juts out to the right below the knee. They both said yup, it sure does. Super. I'm quite certain that has at least something to do with all my patella and other swelling/pain issues. So annoying .....

Anywhoo, I am thinking of trying this spinal nerve block thing 1 more time. I realize it's supposed to be a series of 5, but I'd much rather go to mexico with that $1800 than pay some guy to stab me in the back with a needle repeatedly. ;-)
 
Sorry no clear cut results on try #1. :( Given that it's supposed to be a series I guess that was too much to expect. I'm still rooting for you. :console2:
 
I am soo rooting for you @DogLoverx3. Did the OS acknowledge the "crooked" issue or the patella stuff? I am so sorry you are dealing with all of this. I would never do this if I had it to do over. No mulligans I guess.
~hopefaith
 
Thank you @hopefaith - no, no one has acknowledged the 'crooked' issue or patella issue. My new OS just said that my knee has a lot more 'laxity' (ability to swing side to side) than he would like.

Thanks @kneeper & @Jozilla , spoke to the PA today and they want to try the series of 5 spinal blocks. I don't think they'll schedule me if I say I just want to give 1 more a shot, so I'll have them schedule me and then cancel the rest. Although I've already done the procedure, I'm no less nervous about it. Especially considering that I now know how long the needle is!!

Today is a BAD day for Richard. I'm actually limping :-( Too much walking and carrying things this morning and I've had to take a Tramadol and ice it. No bueno.

Not sure when I'm going to schedule my next 'procedure' for, but I'll be sure to post when I decide (if I can actually load my page, that is). I miss being able to check in and catch up with everyone. :-( xoxoxoxo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom