TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @NetballKnees / Ellen I saw my name here and thought I would jump in for a minute.

I think the confusion is that @DogLoverx3 / Ellen - has had Patellar Tendonitis for a long while now - and was probably talking of her problems with that when you were around after your first TKR. It's me with the Achilles Tendonitis and you're right, boy is it painful! I am just thankful that it is in the non-TKR leg. But as you say, it does effect how you walk and my particular annoyance is that although I go up and down stairs without a problem with the TKR, the Achilles on the other leg slows me down as it hurts when I raise my foot, particularly going downstairs. It aches and it swells. I went for a walk a few weeks back and the swelling made my shoe rub - I had a raw line of blisters all the way round the back of my ankle - ouch!
After the TKR it was heaps better, but like you say, as soon as I started moving about, back it came! I intend doing some heavy duty icing to try and bring down the inflammation - PT has given me some stretches ......... who knows what else I can try? If the ice doesn't help, I think I will start looking into the alternatives like acupuncture and chiropractors. Both my GP and PT say that other than rest and ice and anti-inflamms theres not much else you can do. Boo! I have the other leg practically sorted and now this won't go away.

On much nicer topics I was just typing this and my husband asked who I was writing to, and asked where you were from. I told him and neither of us knew where Griffin was - so he said to Google it. Now I know! And, if I have it correctly, we must have driven through your area many years ago. We were living in Indonesia and flew to Cairns, rented a big motor home and spent a blissful 3 weeks working our way down the coast to Brisbane. Loved it!

Hope your second TKR goes well on Thursday - brave lady! I'll keep an eye out for your posts.

XXX

PS - Apologies for the thread hijack @DogLoverx3 - hope you had a super Birthday weekend ((Hugs))
 
Hi All! Thanks for the great birthday wishes. My actual birthday wasn't all that stellar, so we did a redo on Saturday in Mexico. ;-) It was a very nice, but short, trip and I was happy being near my beloved ocean (the cocktails didn't hurt either). I took Richard into the ocean. He did not appreciate that. Such a Dick he is sometimes. :wink:

Glad that you hooked up @NetballKnees & @dogwheels :ok:, while I'm sorry that you're having achilles issues, I'm glad you tracked down the right gal for advice and information.

As for me, the pain clinic never called me back to schedule my procedure. So annoying. I called twice last week; they called for additional information (that I had already given them); I was told the scheduler would call and when I called was told that 'the scheduler' was still within her 48 hour window for calling me back. She wasn't and certainly isn't now, so I'm taking a different approach. I am swamped with work this week, so wouldn't schedule the procedure now anyway. I have made an appointment with my GP for Thursday. I am going to ask him to order a CT for my knee. I would like to know if my issues are related to my knee possibly (probably) being out of alignment. Not that anything can be done about it (no WAY would I have a revision right now), but at least I'd know what the cause of all of this is. I think a CT is the right one? A simple x ray wouldn't show enough and I've heard conflicting things about TKRs and MRIs. I know that @TexasTee sent me a great rundown of what x ray procedure was right for finding out what, but of course, I can't find it now..... boo.

So I think I am leaning towards putting that $300 the spinal would have cost me towards a good brace and more meds and hoping that something fixes itself? I really don't know which way to go (yes, again).

I did want to tell @hopefaith that although it wasn't pretty and is a bit, erm, 'special' looking, I did sit indian style over the weekend. Wasn't sure I'd ever be able to do that again and although it's certainly not as comfortable as it used to be, it can be done.

@Jozilla, @yiayia3 , @Phil75070 , @TexasTee , @Nana moon 27 , @Ellejay , @fiftydollarbill (so good to hear from you!), @hopefaith , @kneeper , @cjf1222, @dogwheels and everyone else I've forgotten ~ thank you, thank you, thank you!
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying




I take pictures of my feet .... weird, I know (especially with no toenail polish this trip!) ....
 
I'm pretty sure it was this one

https://acsearch.acr.org/docs/69430/Narrative/

I have a vast collection of stuff so if not that, let me know and I'll look again. The "funny" rating above was the legs up the wall thing - probably self explanatory but wouldn't want to assume my humor matches very many.

OK - Am I the only one who has all kinds of weird boney bits that don't belong on my bad knee or do they come off with the surgery? I can see it's quite swollen but it looks relatively knee shaped.
 
Wow @DogLoverx3 nice pins love! I love looking across the ocean it's so very therapeutic. I know it was only a short trip but well worth it for that beautiful weather and the views!

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Glad you had fun - photos are great. Love the sandals in the first pic - legs are pretty good too!

Trust Dick to get up a wall and in a photo! The scar looks great - but I see what you mean, it does look more swollen and doesn't 'match' your other shapely knee!! My knees are old and cr*ptastic anyway - and although I wouldn't want to show them off at all - they are not so far off a matching pair now, the TKR one just looks a bit sort of 'squarer'.

Hope you manage to get some sort of treatment plan sorted, that works for you.

Got to go to bed - yawn. Will catch up again tomorrow.

XXXXX
 
Hi @DogLoverx3, thanks for popping in to visit me. I love your photos, especially the ocean views, although I must highly commend the one with the legs up the wall. I am back to using that position again to reduce the swelling on my left knee. So far this one is still in the lap of the Gods, I don't know how it will be, it's all a bit new and painful at the moment. I had to remove all my nail varnish before the op, and now I can't bend my leg enough to reapply it :tantrum2:. I hope you are not working too hard ( silly me). Lots of love xxx Lyn
 
I just love my GP. Aside from the fact that he was running an hour and a half behind today and I didn't actually see him until almost 5:30pm, I think he's the best. He totally understood where I was coming from regarding my knee in that I wasn't looking to 'cover' the pain, but to discover what was causing it. He has ordered a CT for me, and will call one of his radiologist peers in order to insure that a CT is the best option for me. I explained my persistent patella issues and bone pain in addition to the knee pain. He has also referred me to a company that does knee braces; not the cheapie ones I've been buying at the drug store, but a big ole' ugly yet effective one. While I certainly didn't have my knee replaced so that I could continue to wear knee braces, it is what it is. He also refilled my Tramadol as I have had to revert back to taking it. Boo.

We did agree, however, that if nothing is found on the CT or even if there is, as he knows I will not go back in for surgery (just the sheer fact of knowing what's going on with my knee and causing all of this will be a help in itself), we agreed that I inevitably will end up back at a pain specialist.

I hope that everyone is having/had a good day. I'm sorry that I haven't had a chance to catch up (yes, again), but this week is kinda killing me. 5 catering events in 3 days is a bit much for me these days. ;-) xoxoxoxoxo
 
@DogLoverx3 I hope that you get answers soon. It makes sense to just see if the replacement is in good alignment. I hear you about a revision!!!
The ocean just looks magnificent, no other words for it!
Take care my friend ,
~~hopefaith
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 yaay, result at last. You must feel so relieved that someone's finally listened to you. As regards revision, I totally get it. I've had no choice now with mine and it will take place on September 22nd (my eldest grandsons 19th birthday). It's only an overnight stay (allegedly) I'm a little nervy, as I'm completely unfamiliar with the hospital where I'm to have the op. It's the last thing I wanted done but if this does the trick for me then great. I need to get out of this constant pain. I didn't go through this TKR procedure to end up like this. I had higher hopes. If the revision doesn't work then I don't know what I'm going to do. I think I will have to retrain again and find alternative work. Anyway, I'll cross that bridge if I get to it xxxxx

Ellen I absolutely loved the pics of your beloved ocean. It looked so beautiful. That in itself must have been wonderful and to be able to sit Indian style...wow! I know you've had an exhausting week and I so hope that you get some much needed and well deserved sleep my friend.

Anyway, it's lovely to hear from you
Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hello @DogLoverx3 - missed you, but not at all surprised as you certainly have been busy these last few days. Gosh, I bet you thought those catering jobs would never end. Is this the start of your catering season hotting up again after the summer?

I can't tell you how sorry I am that you are getting all this pain and hassle with your knee - but as you say, at least a CT will give an indication of what is actually going on in there and hopefully give you some options .......... even if further surgery is out of the question. It's such a bummer that you are coping with so much pain and discomfort and yet with all that, you have such a mega wonderful ROM. It's a real pity you cannot have a trade-off, a bit of one for a bit of the other (whoops that sounded a bit rude).

I confess I had to look up what 'sitting Indian fashion' actually was - what with @hopefaith and you going on about it. It's not a phrase I have heard of over here, probably as it could land us in lots of trouble political correctness-wise - don't you think @Nana moon 27? That certainly is impressive. My knee is sitting here quivering and saying to me 'Please don't even attempt that, don't even think about it ..............'

Well I haven't got ocean, but I am sitting eating breakfast looking out at the water, which is the closest I can get. The water is still, a few fish are breaking the surface, the yachts are 'chinking' and the ponies have come down from the marsh for their morning drink. Looks like its going to be a nice day.

Take care Ellen - try and be gentle with yourself and take it easy if and when your schedule permits.

Love XXX
 
Hi @dogwheels, yes we would have to be very careful indeed x x x there is no offence meant when we useable title but some people get a bit touchy really xxxx
 
The saying here is "Criss cross applesauce" for kids.
I am a little late to the party, a belated Happy Birthday to you!


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the non-PC - not a problem @hopefaith. As NM27 says, some people can be very touchy - I was just saying that it is not a term that I have heard over here, and that is probably why.

Don't fret pet!

XXX
 
I'm glad your Doc is good, even if slow! When will you have the scan? I hate the thought of doing all this and needed a crazy ugly brace still. Boo!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom