TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Untrue! I've been on cruises and old people eat their body weight at endless buffets (umm kind of like young people)...and I don't recall seeing a shuffleboard! I love the stand up version of shuffle board though...the one with the pucks and the sand...its fun!

BTW - as far as I can tell there are no "old people" on this board so no one is allowed to be offended. If you can face up to chosing to have your leg cut off and put back on in hopes that it MIGHT feel better...you aren't "old people"
 
@TexasTee Wait until you get MY age and say that! I get up in the morning and everything hurts. What doesn't hurt doesn't work.

[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
 
Shuffleboard is up on the Lido Deck .... didn't you ever see The Love Boat @TexasTee ? I've been on many, many, many cruises and yes, have tried to eat my weight in food (not at the buffets though - at the formal dinners - 'cause I'm Klassy like that). What other form of shuffleboard is there other than the stand up version?

And I agree, there are no 'old' people on here....aside from me ;-)
 
Congratulations on making it to the gym . You get to exercise the most important muscle of all , doing cardio , and thats the heart. Keep it up. We are so proud of you. Its so hot !! After work I go straight home, not the gym. Just too tired still. But I wanna go so bad to start my workouts again . Remember just light weight ! And dont hurt yourself. Elevate and ice when you get home . Things will get better for you . Best wishes , Iceman
 
@Phil75070 like they say "if you don't use it you lose it!!!":heehee:
Naughty Nana strikes again sorry @DogLoverx3. I slept so well I nearly feel my normal cheeky inappropriate self ha ha xxxx as you can tell my bad head and stomachs gone than goodness!!!!

I hope you're not aching too bad from the gym hunny xxxx

Catch you later

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Hi @icep707 . Thanks for the encouragement about the gym. No clue if it's our horrid weather (110 & 80% humidity) or my exercising again, but for the 1st time in a long time, I had to take a Tramadol tonight. I may take tomorrow (or, since it's 3am here, more like today) off from going to the gym. I will only do very light weights, if at all, and promise to take it easy. You'll get your routine figured out so that you can make it back to the gym. It's hard to re-adjust to working, especially when you have such a physical job. I still find that my energy isn't the same as it was prior to surgery. Maybe I just got lazy. ;-)

Glad you got some good sleep @Nana moon 27 and I hope your migraine is long gone!

@Phil75070 - thanks for always making me smile...........or cringe ;-)
 
@DogLoverx3 I had no idea that it gets humid there! I always heard it was dry heat. Here it is humid most I of the time.

Good for you joining the gym. My energy level is just back to normal at seven months out. That is my major concern when I have my other knee done in September. I never knew what exhaustion was until I had my tkr. My OS was great as well as my hospital but no one mentioned how tired you are for months!

Are you liking your little house more? You have also been thru a lot this year. I can't imagine moving during a tkr recovery! Take care and hugs to your doggies!
 
Hiya @Jozilla . July & August are our 'monsoon' season (severe flash storms), so they are humid months and it is absolutely miserable. Normally our humidity is very very low, so we don't do well when it comes.

yes, the energy drain as well as the scrambling of the brain and total destruction of my memory were unexpected 'bonuses' of this surgery. Thanks for the kudos on getting back to the gym. While I'll never love it, I know it's good for me (and my ever expanding derrier).

I can't even imagine going through another TKR. I give you much respect. hopefully #2 will go as well as #1 did for you!

Nope, still not loving the little house. :( Hopefully one of these days.... xoxoxo
 
@DogLoverx3
I so get that. I do something, it feels somewhat uncomfortable (if it hurts, I stop) but if it feels slightly uncomfortable, which most anything does for me, I pay later. It is SOoooo frustrating. Following the BS mantra, I always stop if it hurts, but what about discomfort? I have been made to feel that I am not pushing hard enough. I am going on my own rant sorry my dear.
How long did you go on the machines? I hear your frustration.
I want to get on with it too.
(I am getting the "what does you doctor say?" when I am out in public with my crutch....I want to hit them with it. :heehee:)
many x x x
hopefaith
 
@DogLoverx3 - I actually watched so much love boat that I had a game plan of being a cruise director until I actually went on a cruise Freshman year. I loathed it! :rofsign: SO, I changed up the plan. Yes, I know what the shuffle board with the stick is - there were probably just too many PEOPLE on the deck that I never actually saw it. I like the people I like but apparenlty, none of them were on that cruise...

Anyway - there is a bar version of shuffleboard, it's a table a bit higher than a pool table about 3 feet wide and 20 feet long and there is a team on each side and you slide the pucks across and knock the others off. Its fun and easy for tipsy people to do so bonus!
 
Hi @hopefaith - I was on crutches well into my 3rd month (probably closer to 4) and I always got the judgey looks and comments. As hard as it is, you can't take it personally. Most people have no clue about the intensity and pain of this recovery (and, let's face it, there's just no fixing stupid). Yes, I stopat pain or if something feels 'off', but do try to work through soreness or discomfort. It's so hard to know what is 'too much' or what is going to come back and bite you later that day or the next.

I rode the upright bike for 15 minutes on Saturday and 30 minutes yesterday which, at my less than breakneck speed was almost 6 miles. Leg press I did using both feet at once - 30lbs, 3 reps of 12. I was doing higher weights than that in PT, so not sure why it's creating an issue now.

I have a followup appointment set for next Thursday morning, so need to start working on my questions for him. I'm debating whether or not to ask to go back to PT.

as for you, my sweet, I know you're concerned about your ROM. I was not past 90 at your stage. Everyone that had surgery my same same week had already 'graduated', was walking great and had terrific ROM. There I was still limping, still using crutches in public, still unable to walk even a fraction of a block and still taking full board pain meds. I never thought things would improve and I still cried most days.

I've got really good ROM now; it just took forever to come. You'll get there, I just think you're one of the slower healers like @Nana moon 27
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I admire you for sticking with the gym. It's hard to get back to stuff sometimes. Yes I agree with your above post. @hopefaith my lovely, you may be a slower healer like us but you will get there. Dogloverx3 and me have been to h and back in different ways and sometimes very similar. I cried on the phone tonight to someone because I want to go back to work and get my normal life back. I never envisaged this scenario. I was totally misled by the joint school I had to attend. They led me to believe that by twelve weeks I'd be okay and back at work by 16 weeks. Here I am 7 months later, still on Morphine I've had however many chest infections and three suspected Angina attacks. One only a couple of weeks back. It was brought on by extreme stress so I've had to stand back and chill a bit.

Recovery is an individual process and we are all individual so our recovery may be fast or slow. Please don't beat yourself up or compare yourself against others. It's not worth it. You just end up so miserable and intimidated it's not worth it xxx just tell yourself you will get better when your body is ready and not before. I'm reading more and more on others threads that their OS are telling them recovery can take up to a year. On that basis now I'm going to just go with the flow. It's all I can do now. If you look at both Doglovers and my early posts. You will read how unhappy we were, how many times we cried during this recovery...hope faith it's all there xxx I know this journey is rough but you know what? When we come through all of this, we will be strong and helpful individuals who can help support others who have a tough journey. People like us are needed to be honest in our threads but to try not to be too negative in it. There are far worse things we could have than this! You are amongst friends who care very deeply about you and you can contact us anytime you need us. You may have to wait at times but we will get to you. I promise xxxx take care now and please recover at your own rate!

Ellen, once again hunny, sincerest apologies for using your thread space again. Thank you for letting me do this. I ended up deleting the one to Ice on here after he'd read it x x x

How are you my friend? Anything exciting happening? I know you got the gogos soon I bet you cannot wait! Xxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DogLoverx3 - feels good to be back in the gym eh? You should be very proud of yourself.

Good luck at your appointment next week. I do hope it goes well. Regarding going back to PT, what is the reason you want to go back? Is it for moral support or did you find they motivated you and made it better for you. Were you happy with the ones you had before? I love my PT and would stay with her forever. It was a group class through the hospital but she made you feel like you were her focus. We had a great team as well. The link that @TexasTee shared is really good - thanks for sharing TexasTee - has some great exercises that I did not get from physio so I will be continuing with them even after my next round of physio sessions.

You sound like you are doing well! Have a great night!
 
Im going to gym tomorrow , ive gotten 3 comments on my physique this past week and it wasnt positive. Ive always stayed in pretty good shape but since I went back to work ive been eating Costco pizza and hot dogs daily. Most of my muscle is going away and my stomach is disgusting. I was body building and doing nightclub security 5 years ago . Fortunately muscle has memory. Im so upset I let myself go. And it happened so fast, just 6 weeks ago I was at the pool and feeling pretty darn good. If you needed tramadol , its probably from the gym . So be careful with the weights. Ill probably go heavy on cardio and next week start weight training. My knee is fine, however last 2 days I feel alittle throb, from standing 8 hours , cutting meat and carrying 80 lb boxes around. Hope everyone is doing great in your thread, best wishes, Iceman
 
Good for you for making it back to the gym @icep707 . I know you've missed it. I'm sure you'll whip yourself back into shape in no time. My challenge is I let myself go for too long and am now having a really hard time trying to undo the damage that I allowed to happen. Boo. Please take it easy though - your job is so physically demanding that anything over and above that sort of workout might come back to bite you. :-(

I've not had a good couple of days. Yes, again. I apparently did something bad at the gym yesterday and I'm in a sh*tpot of pain. I only rode the upright bike, on a cardio program that changes resistance, on a level 2 for 30 minutes and then did some ab and arm machines. It had to be the stupid bike. Really? I STILL can't ride a bike with any resistance? It's not the knee that is hurting (any more than usual), but right below the knee and a bit left of center. I think that's my Patella and I'm p*ssed. Good thing I have a doctor's appointment for next week.

@71Beetle , I was considering going back to PT so they could set me up on a program that would be good for/not hurt my knee. Apparently though, everything hurts my knee.

Sorry I haven't checked in with anyone. I'm just in another 'mood'. :censored: Hope everyone is well. xoxoxoo
 
I wonder if you've got some tendonitis going? Bummer that you're having pain when you try to exercise.
 
that's what I'm so mad about it. I had patellar tendonitis before that's why it's taking me so long to get back to exercising. The fact that I get itagain after 3 days is so frustrating. I just don't know what to do
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom