TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DogLoverx3
I drool when I read you are going back to the gym ! Well done you! :wowspring: You inspire me that I will get

back to what I love and was the best anti depressant out there! :yes: Let us know how it goes! (:

How are you feeling? I hope the clouds have parted some. You are a wonderful woman and when I read your posts on here it is apparent you are very strong and caring. (And ya know what you think....we are alike that way). :heehee:
x x x
~hopefaith
 
Heading to Boston next weekend to meet my husbands family. I've not meet ANY of them - Mom, twin sister, brother and their assorted families as well as all the Aunts and Uncles in the tri-state area. No pressure....

No pressure is right! How long have you been married? I wish you all of the best with meeting all of them! I am sure you will wow them all with your kindness. The good thing abut TKR is there is always a topic to discuss in the event that there is a lull in the conversation. :) Let us know how it goes. :shocked:
 
Er @TexasTee , can you actually see my ever expanding patoot from Texas? I actually used to be a gym goer, not because I ever liked it, but because I know it's good for me, but stopped when my knee got bad. I haven't been back yet because a) it's the gym b) i'm afraid to do something to make matters worse with my knee and c) it's the gym. ;-) But I went today.

@dogwheels , @hopefaith , @71Beetle thank you for the advice and encouragement. The gym actually does have bikes - der. So I rode an upright (I only have a recumbent at home) for 15 minutes on level 2 resistance on one of their pre-set programs, then I did some ab work (I think I still have abs, I can't tell anymore), some arm machines, and some leg machines. I tried the leg press at very low weight, the thigh abduction and adduction machines (i think that's what they're called) and that was about it. My knee protested a bit with the machines, so that made me nervous. I will go again tomorrow and try some different machines as well as try the eliptical as that used to be my cardio of choice. I'm terrified of the leg curls and such, so doubt that I'll try those anytime soon. I do think I need to wear my Patella strap tomorrow though as that's hurting again.

Although I didn't love it, I got to use Pandora on my phone and didn't look like a complete moron (or at least I hope I didn't). Head down, don't make eye contact..... As for swimming Chris, I can't really swim. The only stroke I was ever good at was the breast stroke and my knee does not like the leg motion involved with that one, so aside from hanging onto a 'noodle' or the side of the pool and doing a bit of kicking, swimming looks more like flailing about for me.

@Phil75070 , yes, being able to get out of bed while not having to stand there for a minute to make sure the knee will hold up does seem like exercise in and of itself sometimes.

As for meeting the entire family @TexasTee , no need to be worried, I'm sure they'll love you. Even if they don't, oh well, who cares? You've already gotten your prize! I might suggest making your most popular paleo approved dessert for them. After all, people can't complain when their mouths are full, right? I LOVE farmer's markets. There was the best one ever when I lived in Boise. They shut down the entire downtown every Saturday during the summer and it was just huge. And wonderful! All organic and artisan - veggies, breads, meats, and yes, even the man who made mini cinnamon sugar donuts on site.... I miss all that. No way I'm going to a farmer's market when it's 110 here.

Ahh @hopefaith , thank you for your nice post. I wish I could say that the clouds have parted for me, but this funk seems to be sticking around a lot longer than I had hoped. I think if I can just get one thing under my control (my work, selling the old house, loving the new house, the knee, my weight, my love life, my finances, ....) under control, it would help, but everything just seems so f*ing daunting (sorry, powers that be, for my dirty mouth, but it's the most fitting word) right now.

@Nana moon 27 , I'm okay. Things are just slow around here. Not much work, but the work I do have is spaced so that I can't even throw the dogs in the car and drive to the mountains for a few days. I really need to go to the ocean - that's what always centers me and makes me most happy. The closest beach is Rocky Point though and I won't drive into Mexico on my own....

Anywhoo, I think I will head to the pool to read for a bit and then maybe I'll actually tackle organizing my closets. Or not....who knows. I hope everyone is having a wonderful Saturday! Thanks for always being there for me! xoxoxoxo
 
@hopefaith - sorry, forgot to say that the Go Go's concert is on Wednesday, July 23rd! I'm a bit too excited about seeing them, but it will be good to go do something fun and immature. I haven't seen a concert in ages!
 
As for swimming Chris, I can't really swim. The only stroke I was ever good at was the breast stroke and my knee does not like the leg motion involved with that one, so aside from hanging onto a 'noodle' or the side of the pool and doing a bit of kicking, swimming looks more like flailing about for me.
I sit on the noodle, do cycling foward and backwards, sissors, and out to the side. Other people use this same style so I do not stick out in the crowd.
Concert sounds like it will be fun!
 
Thanks @Pumpkln . My knee does not like side to side movement. I think that's why I had trouble with the thigh machines today and I happened to read your post while I was lounging in the pool (looking up real estate that I can't afford to buy in Mexico, but that's besides the point), so I tried a few scissor moves and Richard had a fit. Strange that the 'same' knees, perform/react differently in different people....
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - at the risk of sounding entirely too hippy trippy...(pst, I am, a little!) it sounds like life is trying to cram a lesson down your throat...I'd figure out which and learn it in a hurry so you can move along! Being vulnerable, perhaps? I think that occurred to me as I just had that one shoved down my throat so I could be biased.

Great job on going to the gym! Honestly though - if you are doing the bike or elliptical I just don't think you'd need to use the leg machines, at least, not for a long while.

Good thought on the cooking and it usually is my go to plan...I mean seriously, if I'm feeding you Devils on horseback are you really gonna give me grief?! However - my hot pocket eating husband assures me that he got there naturally as his mother is a horrible cook. So I can't count on any normal kitchen or food supplies being available. I am coming bearing gifts so that will have to do.

@71Beetle - we were married just this year at the end of February - 2/28/14 (even I can't forget that date!) we dated a year and a bit prior and we had a destination wedding in Mexico so it's not completely weird that I haven't met them...just well, sort of weird ;-)
 
@DogLoverx3 Wow. Do you and I have a lot in common in life right now. I also would like just one thing to lighten. May it for you. I pray that for you sweetie.

x x x
h.f.
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 oh I love the ocean too. It calms me, clears my head and I get this kind of inner calm. A lot of people have gone home off the caravan site and it is oh so lovely and peaceful now. Hubby's gone fishing and all well with the world x x x x I wish y could get a mini break somewhere. At least you're going to see the Gogo's, excellent xxxxxx take care my friendxxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxxx
 
Hi All. I'm actually writing from the gym. Really, what better way to distract myself from watching the little timer on the bike than to listen to Pandora radio & post from my phone? So I tried the elliptical this morning. Richard did NOT like it. The inside of my knee totally hurt while doing it. In true BS fashion (if it hurts, don't do it), I switched to the upright bike. Thing is, the inside of my knee is still hurting, just not as much. I was slightly valgus before my TKR. I have a tendency to drop my knee inward when exercising. I have no clue if I'm still valgus post TKR though. I know they're supposed to fix that, but I never asked. My Patella was hurting Saturday night & yesterday (I assume from my reentry to the gym) so I am wearing a brace today, but really? All I did was ride the bike for 15 Minutes, do some thigh & leg presses at very low weight?

I made a follow up appointment with my new OS regarding my ongoing swelling (mid knee to the outside) and tightness. After 7 months it's just getting really old being so uncomfortable when I walk or stand :(

i'm not going to do any machines today, but am on the bike for 30 minutes at level 2 for a cardio program..... any advice/insight would be appreciated. Xoxoxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 with back at the gym. Do you have gym staff over there who might advise you? Sorry for short post. Feeling sick with like a migraine. Catch u later. Good luck my friend xxx
 
Hiya @Nana moon 27 - I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Migraines are the worst. I don't think I'd trust the gym employees to give me any insight into my TKR leg .... I doubt they're trained in rehabilitation instead of 'training' (at least at my gym, I doubt), so I figured I'd do the trial and error thing but I was very disappointed to find that I can't even use the elliptical :-( Feel better my friend xoxox
 
Ah @DogLoverx3 I'd just ask them outright if they or one of their colleagues have any experience working with replacement joints. Remember these guys have to work with over 50's using the gym so they should know something my friend. However I know what you mean!!! You might be pleasantly surprised! Good luck xxxx
 
Hi Ellen - as you know I've got no experience to draw from but I'm pretty good at Google! This looks like a good place to start - I'm wondering if you were a bit too ambitious? You weren't chronicling much of your exercise after you left rehab so it's possible you did all this but if not, might be worth a look.

broken link removed: https://bcphysio.org/sites/default/files/file_attachments/resource/Patient-Exercise-Guide-Knee-Replacement-Surgery.pdf

Also this from Livestrong...

An elliptical trainer simulates walking, with absolutely no ground impact. The natural movement produced by this workout ensures that your knees, hips and ankles stay properly aligned, thus assisting with avoiding further wear and tear. Elliptical trainers are easier on your knees due to the greatly reduced impact. Knee problems can be a result of weak quadriceps, and a daily low-impact exercise will help to strengthen these muscles, as well as the other muscles around the knee. However, the constant up-and-down motion that is required to use an elliptical trainer can needlessly over-stress a knee that is already weak and injured. Take care not to work through pain, and stop if you feel discomfort.

I think you just need to make haste a bit slower? I know that's not what you want to hear but perhaps if you build up your quads a bit more with the exercises in the PDF you will have an easier time of the eliptical.

@Nana moon 27 - sorry to hear about the migraine!
 
Thanks @TexasTee , that's an awesome document! Tons of great information. I've done all those exercises. I was in PT 3 times a week for more than 4 months and know those exercises well. It's just odd that the elliptical is hurting the inside of my knee as most of my pain has always been on the outside. I'm also afraid I'm screwing up my Patella again. Crazy that riding a stationary bike, the think that is supposed to be best for your knee, is causing me pain. I guess for a while I will just stick to the bike with NO leg machines and work on my abs and arms. I just want to get on with it already! ;-)

Oh, by the way, glad to know i'll be able to ballroom dance (according to the chart) :treadmill:as I never could before. :-)

Thanks for always finding such great information (actually, I think this 'packet' should be in the Bonesmart library) - just sayin'
 
LOL - I had the same response to the Ballroom dancing thing...I wonder if they implant the skill with the knee?!
 
Forget the Ballroom - Square Dancing sounds much more fun!

What the heck is 'Shuffleboard' - I am off to Google it immediately!

XX
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom