TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, Bryan Ferry - lead for Roxy Music. What an enchanting voice he has and gorgeous eyes. Slave to Love and Avalon were great kissing songs. Likely too much information, but what the heck we are all friends here :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@DogLoverx3 and all. I think I missed out on the 80s music. I was in my teens in the 60s with the advent of the Beatles and Rolling Stones etc --great times. In the UK at that time there was a great revival of pop folk music so Bob Dylan was a part of my life. 70s and 80s I was at university and being a Mom --music was just in the background. Finally got to see Paul McCartney when he came here --took my son who was then about 16 -- lovely! I tend to be a classical music lover and wish I knew more about Jazz.
 
Hmmm, maybe I was thinking of someone else .... or maybe I'm just more forgiving @TexasTee :eyebrows:

Freddy Mercury?! Okay, I can understand the voice thing, but really? I could never get too excited about any man who wears smaller pants than I do @dogwheels . Funny how tastes change over time though. I used to think Steven Tyler (Aerosmith) was the most hideous creature alive and then I kinda changed my mind. And then I changed it back again. :wink:

@Chihuahuan , I really love all types of music (aside from rap or techno) - different music for different moods but something about the '80s tunes always makes me happy!
 
That's what I like about Sirius radio in the car. Whatever mood I am in I can pick a channel that has music from an exclusive decade. I listen mostly to 50's music for some reason.
 
Good girl @hopefaith . I've had a rough week and can't seem to find the motivation to do much of anything. Boo. I'm off to meet some friends for happy hour and I've opted to take the night off from the diet. I do believe a couple cocktails might help my mood. Certainly couldn't make it worse at this point....

No new projects ..... I'm not all that crafty actually and get bored easily.

@Phil75070 , yes, Sirius is awesome! I have it in my car and every year when they call to renew it for some ungodly price, I tell them to cancel it and they inevitably discover a half price promotion that they'd like to offer me! ;-)
 
@DogLoverx3 I actually get Sirius for free! My oldest stepson was going to sell his car to CarMax or back to the dealer several years ago and I bought it from him instead. It is a 2005 BMW 545i
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
that he went to the max with all of the options, had the windows tinted to the legal limit and had a radar/laser detector professionally installed. For what they were offering to give him compared to what he paid for it and invested in it made it too good a deal not to offer him $500 more than they were offering. He had Sirius in the car at the time and continues to get Sirius in his cars since but HE pays for it, not me. It wasn't part of the deal but I did pay a lot for his college education at Notre Dame so maybe this is his way of trying to pay me back for that? Of course, it would take about 767 years to do so.

[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
 
Hi Ellen,
How was happy hour with your friends? What type of fancy drinks did you choose to partake in? When I am done with the meds and feel like drinking again there will be a decision to make on what my first drink will be. A nice cold Coors Light, a glass of white wine or a frozen strawberry margarita. Decisions, decisions...
 
Hi Lisa! Although I'm usually a lover of all things vodka, I opted for a pear cider. A big one. Actually, two big ones. Uhm, needless to say, I think I was over-served. ;-) At least it got me out of the house and out of my self imposed funk for a bit ..... too bad I've got to wake up in less than 5 hours to feed many many people breakfast in the morning. Oopsie.....

Odd thing about this surgery @71Beetle , and it wasn't just me, but at least in the early days, my tastes and preferences were totally different. I do NOT have a sweet tooth. Never have. Couldn't get enough of sweets the 1st couple months. So strange. As it also has done a number on my memory as well (@dogwheels can relate as well), maybe I have just forgotten that I used to like sweets. :heehee:

How are you feeling today?
 
No mystery about the change to a sweets lover, healing takes a tremendous amount of energy and the body recognizes the spike of energy that comes from sugar...not the best energy for healing, in actual fact, but what are ya gonna do? I made a metric ton of coconut/ coconut butter/dark chocolate/nut/dried fruit bars for my friends who've had knee/ankle replacements, they said they worked like a charm. I'll have a bunch of those in the freezer when my turn finally arrives. One of those really bad knee few days that makes me feel like waiting is stupid.
 
I have a Costco sized bag of peanut M&M beside me for when my knee requires. It helps to get the occasional visit from my boys too :)
 
Interesting @TexasTee , now tell me what happened to my memory with this surgery? ;-)

Way to work on your food pyramid with that cake @dogwheels

Gotta love Costco @71Beetle ! Love what you've got going over on your thread with all the jokes!

K, I'm going to start going back to they gym - I figure it's time as a) I'm 7 months out and b) I've been paying for the stupid membership since last November! I'm a bit nervous as I always seem to muck up my knee whenever I try anything new. The gym amazingly enough doesn't have any bikes, so I will do the eliptical, starting with no resistance to start and see how that goes, but I'm afraid to try any leg machines. Curls, leg press, abduction, adduction.... I really have no clue what my knee is going to be able to handle. I'm a bit anxiety ridden over this (and it doesn't happen often), I just hate the thought of walking into the gym and standing there, looking like a moron, having no idea where to go or what to do.... any advice, tips that anyone would like to offer would be much appreciated.

I've still got issues with pain and swelling and still some lingering patella pain, so I just don't want to re-aggravate anything, but I know I need to get back in there........

xoxoxo
 
Hi Ellen,

Good for you to get back to the gym! It is unfortunate that they don't have bikes but a treadmill walk will get the cardio benefits too. I would recommend that you make an appointment with one of the staff to show you the proper way to use the machines that will allow for concessions due to your knee replacement. Any reputable gym will do this for their clients at no cost. If they want to charge you for an hour, it is still worth the investment rather than to risk further injuries to your knee or any other part of your body.

Your physiotherapist may have some specific exercises using machines that will increase the muscle in your legs. @ChubbsterPT is a trainer as well that works at a gym and he may be able to give you some tips. I am not sure if I tagged him correctly (it never works properly on my IPad. On my Mac, I can start typing and a drop down of members come up).

You will more than likely experience swelling when you start any new training routine. Make sure you don't overdo it and start REALLY slowly. Make sure you give yourself time to go home to ice and elevate before running off to another activity. It is also a good idea to have some sort of protein after a weight workout to aid in repairing your muscles.

Keep a log to keep you motivated and have fun! Perhaps Mr. Right will be a member at the same gym. Nothing like meeting the man of your dreams while you are sweaty and red-faced. You can't look any worse so at least you know he is not shallow and only concerned about your looks :)

Hope you have a fantastic weekend!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - good for you with the gym. @71Beetle made the point that I was going to, about getting a trainer to advise at the gym. The first time I got gym membership years ago, I did just that as my knee has been dodgy for so long. The one big no no then was the weighted leg curl - as my joint was incomplete.

Most articles I have read say that an elliptical is far better than a treadmill, as there is less impact. Bikes are good, but you have said that you do not have that option at your gym. My PT said that Cross trainers are good - but she was cagey regarding Rowing machines, which had always been my equipment of choice. She offered to let me try it out the rower under her supervision at the clinic and see how it felt. This makes me think that with many of these things, providing you use low resistance or weight they would be OK. As always you just need to be sensible and listen to your knee. A bit like kneeling, if it feels OK you can go ahead and do it.
I have read that weights work is very good post TKR as it helps with bone density - and of course swimming.
Next time I see my PT, in a couple of weeks, I will remember to ask her about weight exercises, presses and other gym equipment and see what she says.

I have been told to avoid running, jumping (due to the landing!) anything involving twisting movements, or that will put excessive impact through the knee.

I also have to get rid of my brand new Powerplate machine - evidently the excessive vibration while having positive benefit for arthritic joints, can loosen the prosthetic part. I've only used it about 5 times (boo).

When I asked my PT about the benefits of re-joining a gym, she said it is only a benefit if you use it (ha ha she knows me well). She suggested investing the membership and fees into buying a Cross trainer and Bike for home use, where it was ready and available at any time.

I would get a bit of professional advice and then go very easy - listening to Richard all the time!

Enjoy your weekend

XX
 
Glad you're at least feeling ready to join the gym @DogLoverx3! I'd echo the others, there is probably nothing forbidden other than the jumping/twisting but there are certainly safer choices than others. I don't want to assume but it sounds like you weren't much of a gym goer before so I'd tip-toe in slowly. You might start with 10-15 minutes on the elliptical and then alternate days of upper body? Chest and shoulders one day and arms and back the next...that will get you into the habit without putting your knee up to much. Do they have classes? Yoga or Pilates would be excellent!

I hope you have something fun on map for the weekend! I'm off to a farmers market - hoping to pick up some gifts for the natives. Heading to Boston next weekend to meet my husbands family. I've not meet ANY of them - Mom, twin sister, brother and their assorted families as well as all the Aunts and Uncles in the tri-state area. No pressure....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom