Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont worry Doglover , its just a matter of time before you wont have swelling and pain . There is light at the end of the tunnel. I mean , you are very active and very mobile. So thats a plus. I actually did alot yesterday , probably the most since before my surgery. And all is well. I couldnt be happier. I know you have been super super busy . Dont forget to take pain meds before a long , wild excursion. Than ice when you get home . Goodluck with the new house. I bet you are excited , yet dreading the move . Anyways Just checking in on you and your girls . I read some of their threads. You girls should start a reality show ! Take care and be patient ! Iceman
 
Hi @fiftydollarbill ! Nice to hear from you. I hope you're doing well! I have a 2nd opinion visit scheduled with Dr David Cammaratta (no clue how to spell his name) next month and until then, I'm going to see my GP on Tuesday.

Hi @Nana moon 27 , the culinary festival was great. Volunteered yesterday (the big dummies put me in the vodka tent) hee hee .... and then went back today with 2 girlfriends just to enjoy. We sat and listened to great music, had lots of delicious food tastings and more beer/hard cider tastings than that. Ran into a few other friends while there and it was a nice day all in all. I'm pooped and my knee is sore, but it was well worth it! I'm sorry your day has turned to doodie. I would imagine that spending round the clock time with someone for an extended period of time when that's not the norm is a big adjustment. I'm glad you're going back to your caravan tomorrow. I hope you have a wonderful time. Glad that your friend will be there on Wednesday as well. Enjoy yourself and relax!

Strict diet starts tomorrow. Boo. Was nice to be able to send off my freedom to eat with a culinary festival! I've got to get back to work and have a pretty jam packed week ahead, but will check in when I can. Hope everyone is doing well! xoxoxo

@Pumpkln - too funny about the ladies at the gym and their talk of online dating *gag*. I always used to joke that the perfect man for me would have terrific insurance benefits and travel extensively for ework. ;-)
Ellen I have no doubt that you are doing the exact right thing in 2nd opinion and the gp maybe as you say he can do cat scan or mri what ever is best. You are on the right path IMHO
 
Sounds like a fabulous weekend - glad the knee was reasonably cooperative.

Nom nom paleo and The clothes make the girl are pretty terrific blogs if you are looking for recipes.
 
Thanks @TexasTee , I'll check out those blogs! I will miss my cheese and greek yogurt though.

Thanks for checking in @icep707 ! You are doing SO well! Glad you were able to get out on your bike. I'm certain that did you a world of good!! Thank you for the encouragement as well. I know things will get better - just not soon enough for my liking. :umm:

Hi @Chihuahuan , glad you had a nice time over the weekend! Farm animals - yey! Cow poop - not so much. :whistle:

@Nana moon 27 - I hope you are well on your way (or even settled in) to your caravan and that you have a wonderful time. Erm, WHY would you cut the grass? Isn't that the reason women get married? :heehee: Take care of yourself and enjoy your time away.

I am off for my marathon week. I hope everyone's knees behave and I will check in when I can! xoxoxo
 
Drat and double drat, yet another thread that I thought was quiet, and has been busy busy. Totally missed Nana Moons Grass Cutting Marathon and DogLoverX3's stint in the vodka tent ..... caught up on my phone while I was waiting to go for ............. yet another hydro! At least I didn't spend the whole session on squats and lunges this time. Much more fun as I was allowed to do all the stepping and balancing things I am currently not allowed to do on dry land.
Hope the packing is going well @DogLoverx3 - I've missed alerts on loads of threads so am off to click to follow you all now. Hopefully that may do the trick. Oh and to look up this Paleo diet thingy ......... that's usually as far as I get with a diet, looking it up and then going off in search of chocolate.

Take care and talk soon
X
 
You're forgiven @dogwheels :heehee: I am horrible at paying attention to my notices and always end up deleting them by accident. Whoopsie. I swear my memory is worse since surgery too.....

You're gonna turn into a mermaid! Glad you had a more entertaining hydro today! I hope your knee is progressing nicely!

I just found out that I have ANOTHER even schedule for Wednesday afternoon (WHY can't people plan ahead) and I'm more than a little panicked about getting everything done. How do I know I'm panicked instead of my usually cool, calm & collected self? That's because I have totally shut down and instead of working on the 4 million things I have to get done between now and then, I've chosen to sit at the computer and check into BS. Meh, I give it another 1/2 hour and then I'll start running (ha) around like a mad woman again. xoxoxo
 
Here's my update as it just occurred to me that I am just 2 days shy of my 4 month anKNEEversary. Bleh. Anywhoo, we all know I still have lots of swelling and pain. Here's the odd thing. But odd in a good way. I haven't been to PT in almost 3 weeks. I figure I will just go once every couple of weeks for a while in order to make sure that I'm still on track. Even though my extension only measured at 5 today (boo, I had it down to between 0-3 and thought I was still close to 0), my flexion measured at 140 today! Up 5 degrees since my last PT session. I don't do any exercises at home aside from a couple (and I mean like 2) heel slides 1st thing in the morning and the occasional riding of my recumbent bike. So basically just walking and trying to do 'normal' things have allowed me to gain flexion. Pretty cool huh? Now, I don't write this to brag as I don't have much to brag about regarding this process but to give hope to those worried about a 'window' of opportunity regarding gaining ROM. It can happen months out and most likely thanks to the whole 'less is more' approach.

In other news, in addition to my Patellar Tendinitis, I now apparently have some sort of 'itis' regarding my hamstring and that's what my PT thinks is causing that pinching behind my knee when I walk. I'm still going to request that my GP order an MRI for me, but I guess there is the possibility that I am just one great big collection of 'ITIS' ..... *sigh*

For now, though, I will try to be happy with my good ROM and hope that all else comes in time. Oh, and although I'm at 140/5 - that's non-weight bearing ......... if I attempted to do a squat or check my ROM while standing, I'm sure I'd injure whatever else is left to injure. :thud: xoxox
 
Your ROM is fabulous! I think just going about your daily activities is enough and you really do not need PT to improve. I only had about six sessions if outpatient PT and stopped when I went back to work at 8 weeks. I think this is a great update and yes you should be very proud!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Thanks @Jozilla , it's sort of a double edged sword, I think. I have great ROM, but can't actually DO anything with it (walk, hike, stairs, blah blah blah) and apparently all my surgeon cares about is the numbers, so he hears 140 and thinks I'm cured. He seems to have totally blocked out the fact that I'm still in substantial pain, an inability to do anything weight bearing for more than 3 minutes and swelling on the right side of my knee (which is where most of the pain/pinching is). If I had crappy ROM, then I think he'd listen. I have an appointment with my GP today and he's a very nice man that I've seen for 10+ years and who I trust, so hopefully he'll be able to help get some things sorted out for me while I wait for my 2nd opinion appointment.
 
Thats great news Dawg ! 140 flexion , way to go . And now you get to see your GP, I hope he can figure things out . Keep your head up . Im still off work , so I still spend time chiming in on bonesmart. Try quad exercises for your extension. Take care and try to take it easy . Congratulations on the 4 month mark, I have read that a few bonesmarties have made significant improvements at month 5-6. Just thought you would like to know. best wishes
 
Thanks @icep707 - you're always so positive and encouraging. I've had a couple of pretty down days due to frustration and pain, so I appreciate your encouragement. Keep up the great work on your end! I hope you know all the positive impacts you've made on fellow bone smarties....you're a good guy Ivan :-)
 
My 'Murphy's Law' streak holds true. Just got a call from my PC's nurse ..... he's out sick today. :-( She was calling to reschedule for next week and I turned on the charm (yes, I have some occasionally) and got her to fit me in tomorrow at 2:45pm. She had offered to let me see one of the nurse practicioners today, but I trust Dr Whittaker. Guess I can wait one more day......
 
Bummer for the delay but go you on getting in tomorrow!
 
Thanks @TexasTee ! She made me promise not to tell anyone! She was also a bit shocked that my OS didn't seem concerned with my pain levels/limitations so probably felt sorry for me. How's Chloe feeling? Good thinking on the canned tuna! Much healthier than crappy Alpo ;-)
 
Doglover3. The on going joke in Florida is if you meet a man main requirement and first question is usually 'does he drive at night". Love that line. Me would never marry again. Live with bf going on 17 years. I get my exes pension, annuity and some kind of formula with social security. Would have gone on bfs insurance as domestic partner but couldn't make the commitment. Now that he's retired and want his insurance can't do it. Too late. It's amazing the requirements we have towards men mainly insurance being #1.
Anyway can't dwell over the mistake. I guess I'll have to keep working until every body part that's needed to be replaced is.
Past my 3 month mark knee feels pretty good knock wood.... Going to surgeon in 2 weeks hopefully he will say can't go back to work yet. And yes even though my apt us small being with someone 24/7 is the true test, I had to hide all sharp objects. The togetherness is not for me. My ex worked on Broadway as a stagehand so he was gone nights and weekends
Perfect arrangement. Is it just me ???
Anyway since my daughter us in town going to merit her and her friends downtown for happy hour....
Have a great night everyone and please everyone feel good.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - hope you get some help and answers from your GP tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you.
Interesting - my physio was chatting to me today and she said that OS seem to only care about getting the replacement in, and everything healed up - the hard graft is for the patient and the physio to make the damn thing work, and the OS don't seem too concerned as they consider their job is done. I'm sure that rings a few bells with many on here!
140 is a ridiculously wonderful ROM from the dismal 2 figure score that I still have. Fancy a bit of swapping? A bit of my extension for a bit of your flex????
Take care
X
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom