Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
@yiayia3 lol, this is @DogLoverx3's post! Mind you we do congregate a lot on here too. Well have to name this one now. Just thinking what... Maybe Ellen herself might come up with a name xoxox
 
Hi @newkneesNH. It's lovely to hear from you. You seem to be doing really well. I am 11 weeks in, having a slow recovery. I still use a stick for longer distances or time. I don't use a can or a crutch to come downstairs but I am still two feet to each stair. Please stay on in touch. Love Nana moon 27. You are most welcome to click on the link, have a read of my slow recovery and join our mad coffee stop shop!!! Chat later. Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Have you gotten any more info from your OS on the aspiration fluid? At this stage of your healing this can still be normal. It must be taken in the correct context of your clinical situation. I wouldn't want to speculate too much on this since I am not seeing the X-rays or physical exam. Good luck.

Orthodoc
 
No apologies needed @yiayia3 ! You're welcome here any time. I may open a competing gathering place just to give @Nana moon 27 a run for her money. Mine would have to be based around martinis and not coffee though. She can have the breakfast crowd and I'll cover happy hours. :wink:

Thanks to all who have stopped by & to @Josephine and @Orthodoc . No, nothing further from my OS regarding the labs. I've put a call in, but as getting ahold of my actual OS is akin to placing a call to the president, I doubt I'll hear back today. Josephine, as to the 'color' of the aspirate, it looked like pure blood to me, just maybe a tiny bit thinner. I found it odd that he didn't ask me where my pain was or if so much fluid/blood was normal. I do find it interesting that when I was in to see him a few weeks ago he told me that he could drain my knee but 'guaranteed that there wouldn't be more than 1/8 teaspoon of fluid in there' - huh. Guess he was wrong. Didn't think it would be productive to mention that little 'whoopsie' either, so I didn't. As for asking for the x-ray, I didn't think anything was wrong with the implant, I'm just wondering if a tendon or muscle or something is actually getting pinched in the new 'parts' when I go from straight to bend, but I guess that wouldn't show on an x-ray anyway. I've looked into the 2 things that came to mind for you Josephine and as both involved more surgery :sad: I've opted to enter my 'bury my head in the sand' phase until I can find out more as I'll just drive myself crazy with worse case scenarios.

Anywhoo, along with my head in the sand MO comes little time spent on here and I'm sorry for all those that I've neglected and haven't caught up with. I've got a busy weekend, but promise to catch up when I can. I've had a busy morning catering and my helper called in sick :umm:so my knee is none too happy about that.

Here's a strange/funny/ridiculous example of exactly how stupid/clueless/annoying people can be. One of my friends dragged me out to dinner last night and invited a couple of her other friends that I hadn't met before. One of them happens to either make or rep for artificial limbs. Really?! My friend thought it would be a great topic of conversation to bring up my knee (I've grown to hate talking about my knee in the real world) and before I could stop her she told her friend about my TKR and how I'm having issues. I swear that her friend's eyes sort of lit up like I could be a potential customer in the future! WT heck?!?! The 1st thing she says to me isn't 'sorry you're having a difficult time' or 'i hear those hurt' or anything remotely empathetic. She opts for 'I bet your legs are different lengths now, right? Everyone's are'. Again, WT heck?!? I said, 'no, that's about the only thing that isn't wrong at the moment, but thank you for thinking of me ' ...... I really hate people sometimes. :whistle:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Grrrrrr...isn't it difficult to refrain from hitting some people?
Don't apologise for not getting on here, you are a very busy person with a lot on your mind. It will be good to hear from you when you can, we're all here for you whenever you need us xxxxx Ellejay
 
Ellen - WOW all that bloody fluid that he got our of your knee is not normal in anyway shape of form. Please see your GP and ask his advice and tell him exactly what is going on. 2nd I would make a appointment to see the top Knee Doctor at Core. Whose name is Javkosky or something like that. Barring that you need to get some 2nd and 3rd opinions on your problem. My surgeon DR. Robert Cercek is excellent he was trained by Javkowsky and think that you really need to get on and stay on this problem. I am willing to help since I am local to you in anyway I can. I would even go with you if you wanted to act as your advocate. Sometimes you just need another voice in the room to wake them up. I say no more time to mess around at all.

I know you know that you need to do something. I saw you say you are returning in two weeks. You being so close to the forest you can't see the trees so to speak. You deserve much more that what you are getting. Please if there is anything I can do please ask. Bill
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ellen, I did suggest that you see your GP He can order MRI for your knee. A plain Xray only looks at hard bone, implants etc. but the MRI see the tendons, muscles etc. and if something is out of catawampus it can pick it up. This also might be a good way to see what the heck is going on. I myself would be totally skeptical about OS at this point. Time to escalate I thinks. bill
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh @DogLoverx3 it's lovely to have you back.

Your friends friend sounds like a right muppet! She needs to put her brain in gear before her mouth moves off and remember to put on the brakes too! Dear me! That was so inconsiderate and actually untrue!!

I'm sorry your server rang in sick. That's the last thing you ended right now.

Well I've been supergran today. I've created a street dance costume for my granddaughter. I have sewn on diamanté edging and superglued rhinestones on her initial on the top. It looks amazing. My daughter was supposed to do it but in the end she came up,with a few ideas, I made a few suggestions and I created it. She has her dance exam tomorrow afternoon. She's amazing, a natural. She really excited about it. No nerves which I find very strange for a 7 year old.

Anyway I hope that you've managed to have a rest and you are feeling better in yourself. Im so glad you're back.

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo:puppysmooze:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3. I'll be away for a couple of weeks so I reckon you'll be running Dogloverx3's drop in and chat :flwrysmile:while I'm gone lol xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo the coffee shop girls think very highly of you too x x x x xoxoxoxoxoxox x x x.
 
Sounds like you had a great day @Nana moon 27 ! Your grand-daughter's costume sounds great and I'm sure you loved making it!

Yes, @saltyal , I much prefer dogs to people on most days :whistle: At least when they do something stupid, they can blame it on being a dog..

Thank you @Ellejay , I'm sure I was quite rude and shot her one of my patented 'looks' but sometimes I just can't believe the things that come out of peoples' mouths! Every time I have to talk about my knee, my eyes well up and I'm afraid I'm going to start crying. I never used to be such a baby before....

@fiftydollarbill - OMG! What a lovely offer! I thank you so very much for it! I have a very outspoken friend that I can take with me to my appointment on the 8th, but if she is unavailable, I may take you up on your offer to go to bat for me as I do tend to get flustered/overwhelmed when I am nervous. I figure I will give my OS a chance on the 8th to turn things around and show me that he is taking this seriously, otherwise I will make an appointment with the Dr you suggested or at the very least, my GP to take matters into my own hands and get an MRI. I take back what I said about dogs vs people in your case. I can't believe you'd offer to do this for me only 'knowing' me on here. I can't tell you how much that means to me. Thank you. :thankyou:(very strange to all that will read this reply, but I just looked back to get the name of the surgeons you suggested and your post has gone missing. I absolutely understand if you've thought better of your offer, I appreciate it anyway) ;-)
 
Hi@DogLoverX3, hope you are feeling better. I read your post about the aspiration and know I feel for you. I too am back to resting my knee it's swollen again and still hurts. Some of us don't have those amazing recoveries. Eventually it will all heal and this will be behind us. Hope you get plenty of rest.
Charlotte
 
Wow, @DogLoverx3 - I just 'caught up' on your thread! You are having helluva time. I think you should definitely take someone with you who can step in in case you get teary-eyed...very good idea. I am so sorry you are having this problem and this worry! I am really praying this is something easy to fix for you that does NOT involve more surgery! Best of Luck to you...stay strong!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I think there is a Bonesmart rule about not allowing the names of doctors. I'm sure your family doc/internist/??? can recommend someone who deals with more complex post-TKR cases. If your friend cannot go with you to your next appt take something that will record the conversation. I know when I am upset/frustrated and go to see a doc I don't remember everything that was said.
It's fairly normal for aspirate testing to take a while especially with it being tested for infection. If it is an infection --ask what bacteria it is and whether they did antibiotic-resistance testing. Also ask for a copy of any reports. My cancer doc always had them ready for patients as a matter of routine so I've maintained that with all my docs. Take a few minutes to read the report with the doctor and ask what each item means -- write notes if you need to. It gives you time to process what is going on.
If the solution is to stay off the knee for a long long long period of time in order to heal maybe thinking of it as a business investment would help.
Take care. :puppysmooze::puppysmooze::puppysmooze:
 
it looked like pure blood to me, just maybe a tiny bit thinner.


There are several reasons to have a hemarthrosis (blood within the knee joint) following knee replacement. I would be interested to know what your OS thoughts were for the cause for this. Sometimes this can be a normal part of the course in the early months from surgery.

Orthodoc
 
I think there is a Bonesmart rule about not allowing the names of doctors.
Not at all!!! We often provide the names of surgeons as suggestions for our members to meet with. What we don't permit is any "bashing" of doctors or medical facilities by name because such information would be very one-sided and not fair to the person or organization if they cannot defend the claims.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom