TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ellen, your friend's friend who made the comment about the uneven legs is a complete knucklehead. If it would have been me I would have had no qualms about telling her/him "Do you always say such stupid things to people you just met?" Very politely of course:hissy::). Hope you are doing well. I have been sick and entirely too busy to post lately. Sounds like the cavalry showed up (orthodoc and Jo) so that's good. It sucks when you are left to wonder what is going on and not have any definitive answers. It's almost funny (in a demented way) that you can get more information in our awesome forum than from your own OS. "Sad" is probably a better word actually. I hope things are going better. Will write more when I get the chance.
 
Well, I survived (barely) one of my big catering events. My client was very happy, however, after being there for close to 10 hours and having my knee stop cooperating early on, it was a tough evening. I had to sit down about mid way through as I was about to cry (as i seem to do at the drop of a hat these days). Couldn't sleep last night as my knee was KILLING me. Throbbing and really sharp pains in my knee cap. Finally hobbled back downstairs around 4am to grab an ice pack and loaded up on oxy. I haven't had to take oxy for weeks and weeks, but needed to in order to get through my job yesterday and last night. Today is a little better. I had a huge list of things needing to get done today and I did only 1 item on the list. I'll have to pay for it tomorrow, but my poor knee needed a break.

I have one more big event to get through on Thursday night and then .............. I'm rewarding myself with a weekend away ............ in Mexico!! Some friends are road tripping down and as I know water exercises are good for my knee and there is a swim up bar at the resort, I figure I can kill 2 birds with one stone. :) I need a break. Too bad it's just for a weekend, but I'll take what I can get. I'm very excited. I just need to survive Thursday night .....

Yes @Chihuahuan , taking a break is an investment in my future and believe it or not, I have been trying to figure out how cut back without destroying my business. It's a fine line I have to walk because all it takes is saying 'no' to one client before they go with someone else. By and large my clients are very loyal, but if they need me and I'm not available, then they do what they need to do. Allowing my servers to handle events without me has been a big step for me, but I still need to be present at my large functions and I still do all prep work and cooking myself. Thank you, btw, for finding the doctor's name for me.

Speaking of which @fiftydollarbill , I did look him up today and he seems to be more on the business and educational end of things - I couldn't figure out if he still actually sees patients or not. I hope you've had a lovely weekend and have enjoyed the amazing weather!

@mcirish , how's your cold? I hope you're feeling better! Yes, my friend's friend is a bit of a putz and I highly doubt that we'll be 'doing lunch' together anytime soon. ;-) Very sad, as well, that I can find more information on here than I can from my own doctor. :-(

I will call tomorrow to see if results are back from my labs as although I've claimed to burying my head in the sand and trying to ignore all the possibilities, that's kind of impossible to do.

@dogwheels, @Ellejay @yiayia3 @Derby Jamie @MS Char, Orthodoc @saltyal, Josephine @Karringtyn and everyone else that has checked in on me and offered advice and well wishses. THANK YOU!!! I can't begin to tell you how much it means to me. I won't lie and say I've been able to catch up on all that's been going on over @Nana moon 27 's coffee shop ;-) but I hope everyone is well and all knees are behaving.

@dogwheels , thank you for sending the water exercises. I will see what I am able to do in Mexico without spilling my margarita :cheers2:

I will work on being a good hostess and keeping the 'group' together while Ann is away on caravan! Please feel free to come post anytime ladies (and men). While i won't have loads of time this week, I will be able to see what's going on in my thread and hopefully have some entertaining stories to tell (my friends always tell me that I should write a book about my life - not sure if it would be classified as a comedy or tragedy, but the ending is still a work in progress) :umm: xoxoxoxoxo
 
Ellen you are AMAZING!.... I'm just blown away with how well you're doing in spite of being dealt some lousy cards.... I know it's not by choice you're working so much but I don't think there's many people could possibly maintain a business like yours while dealing with a balky TKR. ..... I really hope the docs will find an easy fix for what ails your poor knee so you can get back on track! .... That little getaway trip to the Mexican resort sounds like a great way to re-charge your batteries; good on you! :martini:
Cheers, Al
ps. Woodstock will send some spare belly rubs to your doggies while you're away :puppysmooze:
 
Thanks Al!! So nice of you to say. One of these days I hopefully won't have to work so hard; until then, I just try to do my best. Yes, I can't wait for my trip. Being on/in/near the water always does me good and the resort is right on the beach, so although I won't be able to walk along the beach (think that would just be an accident waiting to happen), I can see and listen to the ocean from the pool. Okay, pool bar. ;) Dickens, TJ & Bean send thanks to Woodstock!! :puppysmooze::puppysmooze::puppysmooze:
 
How are you @DogLoverx3 ? How was your day? Did you get any help,today? How are you feeling my friend? I a bit fed up but all packed and ready to go about 10am X x x :puppysmooze:
 
hi Ann!! Look up, I posted about my weekend a couple of posts back :) xoxoxo
 
Hi Ellen

Goodness knows what or how I did it. I had you on ignore!!! My best friend on this site and this had happened. I knew something was up as all your posts had disappeared from your site. I sincerely apologise Ellen my friend. I feel awful. Going to read everything now. I'm just glad I know you are ok. Strewth I don't know how that happened but a least I sorted it!!!!

Love Ann x x x
 
Ooh @DogLoverx3 I am so excited for you. Mexico!!! Wow!!! Woohoo!!! Love it! Ah Ellen you so deserve this break. You work so hard despite the blecky knee and I so admire what you do as do a lot if the others on this site. You of all people have earns this break. Poolside too. Yes definitely two birds etc wonderful. Ooh I feel like jumping around the room with excitement for you honestly I do. I don't think that's probably a good idea right now with the state of my knee and calf.

I had to pop in to see moms next door neighbour tonight. Basically to say a sad farewell to her x I've known her all my life. She is 100 years old and dying from cancer. It was pitiful and heartbreaking to see her. I held her hand, thanked her for the beautiful get well soon card, she'd sent me. Bless her! Don't think she's long left now. It was quite a shock to see how much she'd deteriorated. She didn't deserve this evil, vile, disease. No one does. She's devoted her entire life to the Church and has been such a wonderful supportive lady within the community that it seems cruel her life ends this way x

Anyway Ellen, I'm glad I sorted this out, thank goodness and I will try and stay in touch when I can. Please have the best time in Mexico!

Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Anyway I hope that you get some sleep tonight. I'd better try and get some too. I'll be On the road in five hours!
Just hope I can get a signal up,there x x x
 
Mexico sounds so good . My sister is going to Cabo San Lucas in a couple of months. Lucky bums. Laguna beach will have to do for me . Atleast its right on PCH . People do say the weirdest things. Some guy ask about my knee awhile back and I told him I had just had a tkr and he said" oh ! They he had , had a meniscus repaired ". I thought that was weird. Well I hope everything works out well for you and your happy hour crew ! Best wishes
 
Laguna is nice @icep707 ! You'll have a great time and hopefully great weather. I'm just going to Rocky Point as it's only about 4.5 hours from me (plus a stop mid way for me to stretch). Nice that that guy thought he was 'bonding' with you by saying he had his meniscus repaired. Whole other ball game fella!

I called my OS today to see if the lab results were back and spoke with a very helpful woman (should have gotten her name so I can always ask for her) who said my results weren't back yet. She also went on to say that as the labs were being submitted to check for infection, they normally take longer (5-7 days) as if an infection is found they then have to identify it and see which antibiotics might 'kill' it. Uhm, since it's been 7 days and there's still no word, does that mean that an infection has been found? :umm:

Also, I've been doing my own 'work' on trying to figure out what could be 'catching' and 'pinching' behind my knee when I go from straight to bend as my OS kinda brushed it off. I think it could be the Popliteus muscle because the placement of the muscle (it sort of wraps around the knee behind) paired with the fact that it's the 1st muscle engaged in flexion makes me think that's what's going on. As my OS's little 'jiggle' laxity test is what first set this issue off, I seriously think it's getting caught up in my 'parts' if that's possible......
 
Your vacation sounds wonderful! Enjoy, Relax, and whatever! :martini::cheers::SUNsmile::spin:

When you return I would start looking for a second opinion for your knee problems. Recommended you seek a revision specialist, they are best with these things.
:flwrysmile:
 
Have a good time in Mexico, Just think you can exercise while you booze! Hope you get to feeling better. I don't know how you have worked through all this! You are a strong women. I hope it's not an infection, but soon you will have answers.
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - sorry your knee was a bummer over the weekend, and hope that you can get it 'Mexico road trip ready' for the weekend.
Really hope you get some answers soon from the tests - it would have been nice to get a good result before you left for the weekend, but hey, when does that ever happen?
As for that weirdo Poppy muscle thingy - yeah I read about that (with my junior doctors outfit on pretending to do some self-diagnosis!) Ooops forget that last bit, it sounds a bit too kinky for Bonesmart. Trouble is these knees are so tricky ....... I was having a whinge yesterday to my PT that no one really knows what I have done, so it is difficult to not overdo in that area (you will gather I am now pathologically worried I am going to do the same thing again and keep going round on a never ending spiral of first 6 week recoveries). She said that a knee is quite a small joint and when one bit is damaged it doesn't take long for the pain to radiate so its difficult to pinpoint the troublesome area. However, that Pop ...... does seem to sound particularly appropriate in your case.
Hope Ann is having a great time in her caravan and that she can switch off and just relax ............. without tripping over anything!!
Take care and hope you get those results back soon.
X
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DogLoverx3 Im having such a great relax. Sorry I can't post pics this connection isn't up to much. But at least after a twenty minute wait I can contact you. I hope your knees ease up even just a bit for your weekend away. Ellen you so deserve this break you so do. I hope that they resolve your knee issue and if they don't like everyone else is saying to you the get a second opinion like pumpkin said, perhaps with a revision specialist. As a PT Pumpkin knows what she's on about. IM being super duper careful and it's fantastic having everything on one level x x x x miss you my friend x x x:puppysmooze:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom