Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sell everything on a couple of facebook rummage sale sites I manage. A lot like Craigslist...BUT you have a profile of the person either buying or selling.......I have gotten rid of a lot of clutter that way....but also bought/added a lot. lol.

I too am confused when people say they are seeing their GP.....my Doc will see me in April only because she wants to check up on me, and check thyroid levels (I have thyroid disease) but she plays NO part in my knee replacement...that's all OS.
 
Well, I'm just back from seeing my OS (for the 4th time) and pardon my French, but he was quite the Richard today. Not sure if he thinks I keep going in for fun or if I'm making up all the issues I'm having, but he was less than pleasant today. Possibly because I asked for an x-ray, possibly because I asked for the surgical notes, possibly because my knee is STILL big time swollen and painful and I'll mess up his perfect record. His bedside manner has always left a bit to be desired, but I was a bit surprised today by his total lack of empathy. I wanted to see the surgical report as I just did - my mind deals with things better when I can understand what's going on and although I'm sure he stopped by after surgery, I remember exactly nothing regarding my hospital stay aside from the pain.

Anyway, he didn't really want to listen when I talked about the sharp pain pinching/catching behind my knee since he 1st did his laxity test thing on me or how it's been worse since my last visit when he did it again. he said it sounds like my hamstring and I said yes, but why would it pinch when i go from straight to bent? He thought I was talking about the clunking, but I wasn't. He never answered. He also said that there was no way that anything had 'loosened' since surgery, so no new x-ray for me. That these implants and cement are meant to last for decades, so why would I think they'd fail within 3 months?

What he did walk into my room with was a photo copy of my 1 week x rays, a copy of the surgical report and the world's biggest syringe and needle. I mean that sucker looked like a knitting needle. All he said was that I was too far along to be having these issues so he was going to send a 'sample' to the lab to make sure there's no infection. And then he leans in like I'm going to just let him jab that monstrosity into my knee with no numbing spray or anything! :shocked:I actually had to ask him to numb the area - duh. He then withdrew what looked to be at least 1/3 cup of bright red bloody fluid from around my knee. I asked if that was normal and he mumbled something about 'everyone healing differently'. He told me he wanted to see me in 2 weeks again. No clue when he'll get the results back or if I just have to wait 2 weeks to find out. I questioned him on by the sheer fact of sticking a needle in my knee wouldn't that be an infection risk and he said yes. Gee, thanks..... he did say that regardless, I should feel better with some of the fluid gone.

Needless to say, I'm less than happy. I feel like I was a total inconvenience today. As I'm the one having to try to function on my craptastic knee, I think I'm allowed to complain, yes? The one positive thing he said was that since my ROM was so good, there's really no need to keep up with PT and that's all about strengthening now, which I can work on on my own I guess....

Oh, and of course, since I'm such a supreme baby these days, I started crying when I was explaining all the challenges I was still having :-( not embarrassing at all ....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DogLoverx3 just to say I'm thinking of you that syringe sounds horrible and yes you have every right to complain, hope your not in to much pain take care YiaYia
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - oh my, what a cruddy OS appointment. I feel so sorry for you, no reassurance and he's left you with a whole lot of concern now.

Removing fluid does improve swelling, but the fluid acts as a 'cushion' around any painful bit. You were right to ask for a numbing agent, it is painful without it, as I know from bitter experience.
From the discussions I have had recently, if you are weight bearing without excessive pain - it suggests that the implant is OK. If you are well in yourself, and are not suffering high temperature, shortness of breath, odd inflamed patches or any oozing from the scar - it suggests that there is no infection. I know that doesn't really help and won't stop you worrying until you see him in a fortnight - but take those thoughts with you. It was news to me that these joints still bleed post-surgery - but they do. I think I am right in saying that an Xray will only show up the bones and implant, whereas an MRI will show the softer stuff - muscles etc.

You have every right to explanations and support from the person who contracted to undertake this surgery, and especially question what you believe to be a slow and difficult recovery. He may not want to spoil his 'record' but perhaps he should consider that potentially this will happen unless he addresses your concerns and gives you satisfactory answers and/or reassurance.

I know that this sucks, but hang in there. Easier said than done I know, but try not to worry. I'm thinking of you.

Love and hugs being sent your way - hope tomorrow is a better day
ChrisX
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh @DogLoverx3 that OS sucks! I'm so sorry that you had to put up with this second rate treatment. His attitude is a disgrace to the medical profession. Ellen it made my blood boil when I read how he treated you. One third of a cup of fluid? is that normal? I would have been the same as you. I think he has been downright rude. I was really shocked when you said he wasn't going too numb the area, that's evil. I wonder if he'd have done the same if it was his mom or sister sitting in front of him. I doubt it!

I hope your results come back and you can finally find out what's going on with your knee! I hope that draining it a bit has eased it but I bet it's sore from that needle.

Take care my friend x you know where I am if you need me x love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxox:puppysmooze:
 
So sorry DogLover - your Os should apologize to you. You have every right being angry! I would be furious!! Hope he is better with you the next time you see him. Most of all I hope you are feeling ok. That does not sound like it was a pleasant procedure. Remember we are here!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much @yiayia3 , I appreciate it. Let's just say it was less than fun and it still stings :-(

@dogwheels - YOU GET IT! There were absolutely NO reassurances so I left feeling worse and more worried than I was before. Thank you for your input and knowledge. I was actually worried about things hurting more without the added 'cushion' of the fluid. Looks like I won't have to worry about that as my knee swelled right back up. :-( I'm terrified that if it does turn out to be an infection that they'll have to re-do the implant. There is NO WAY I can go thru this again.

@Nana moon 27 - no clue if all that fluid is normal or not. I would assume not. And not sure it's supposed to be as bloody as it was either. He didn't reassure me about any of that either. No clue what he was thinking about sticking that needle in me without numbing the area! What a doof!

Thank you @Jozilla . While he's never been a 'warm fuzzy' kinda guy, he doesn't usually make me feel like such a silly inconvenience. I can't be the only one who returns when they're worried?

Of course I've been going over worse case scenarios and all the 'what ifs' in my head and crying much of the afternoon. I have so much I need to get done today and I haven't done any of it. It's only 5:30pm here and I'm seriously considering just going to bed. Let's hope tomorrow is a better day.......

Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. I just want all of this to be over and to be able to get back to just living my life without having to meter out my activities. Boo.

Thus ends today's self-pitying post.....I hope everyone had a good day. xoxoxo
 
Oh @DogLoverx3 my lovely friend. :angel:You so do not deserve this. The guy like you say is a total doof! :what: :headbang:I'm not surprised that you are upset and crying. The least he should have done was reassured you and explained things more clearly to you. He should not have left you the way he did. It's outrageous! Do you have a US equivalent of our GP's? I'm just wondering if it might help talking to him/her? They might contact the hospital too and find out what is actually going on. You have every right to self pity today after what you've put up with, particularly being humiliated by an OS who doesn't care x x x x

I hope your evening passes quickly and you manage some sleep x x x I'm sending you a great big hug over the pond to you xoxoxoxox

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo:puppysmooze:
 
@DogLoverx3 I often think folks go into surgery because they don't do well with the softer side of medicine. Surgeons have amazing skills and fortitude to have folks lives in their hands everyday. Along with that comes what appears to be arrogance but is really self-confidence. My nephew is an orthopedic surgeon in the UK --he is a shoulder specialist.
I've known folks who have had fluid removed from a knee and yes it's a pretty big volume and it's kinda reddish-brown looking. I think it's a step in the right direction and he is taking your concerns seriously enough to do it. They can tell from the fluid if it is an infection or an inflammatory response by what cells they see. If it is an infection it takes a while to figure out what bacteria is responsible and what antibiotic is best to treat it with.
I would imagine that you still have a lot of inflammation from having to work so hard.
Diagnosing medical problems can take a lot of time --he's done the first step. The answers will come in time. :puppysmooze:
 
@DogLoverx3 I hope you are sleeping peacefully. It is so hard to trust someone to do this operation on you and then for them to be so cold, rude. I hope answers come quickly. We're all here for you.
 
Thanks @Chihuahuan . I 'get' the surgeon mentality, and realize that some of my issues are my own doing, I'm just not a fan of being made to feel stupid. When I pointed out that the swelling was finally lessoning on the left side of my knee, but the right side (which is where I get the sharp pains that he told me I'm NOT getting) was still very swollen, he said 'there is no left or right, it's all the same swelling'. Uhm, okay. The fluid he pulled out today was bright red and my knee is huge again. I'll deal with the swelling, I just need to be able to make it thru a 20 minute shopping spree thru Costco without wanting to cry. :(

Thank you @Derby, no sleep for me yet. Been talking on the phone and watching Netflix movies. I do trust my OS, just wasn't expecting to be treated so coldly today. Coincidence or not, but apparently his MA just left him to go to another practice. Hmmmm....
 
Thanks @Nana moon 27 , honestly all I wanted today was for an x-ray to be taken so I could see that everything was okay and could just start accepting that this may just be how it is. As I was willing to pay for it, I have no clue why he would deny me that. He acted offended and said my implant was 'perfect' so why would I think it would have changed from week one when they're made to last for decades....... GPs here wouldn't know anything more about TKRs here than they do over in your neck of the woods ;-)
 
:console2:Hey Ellen. I know i said I was going to pass out, but I had to look to see what was going on. That doc just sounds like a total wiener like you said. You deserve better care than that. I know that he is your OS, but if a pattern of behavior starts emerging I would seriously consider cutting the cord or consulting with another OS. There is no good excuse for his behavior. You deserve a doc that is going to help you to feel better. I will drop by tomorrow okay hon? Hope you have some healing restful sleep tonight. Everything is going to be fine.
 
Morning @DogLoverx3, I hope that you've been able to get some sleep. I slept a bit better last night but I woke up twisted! It was the pain from that which woke me up! I've straightened my knee and leg and now I'm a bit more comfortable.

I do think an X-ray should be done but maybe he's going to test the fluid for analysis, checking for an infection first. The bedside manner of some surgeons is not good but like @Chihuahuan says it's a confidence thing with some. This happens a lot when someone knows how skilled and/or talented they are! However, it does not make it right to leave patient who is concerned about their health.

A prime example of this behaviour is my husband. He was a plumber, one of the best. (My bathroom is the best room in the house) He would be called in to solve problems in jobs where quite a few others had failed. He would always sort out the problem, rectify it but oh dear he could irritate people with his superior arrogance. He worked once at my friends house and irritated her husband because of his attitude. She said oh Ann I know he's your husband but he's such a maestro he makes us feel stupid! I immediately apologised but she said very kindly, it's cos he knows his stuff. Last week his younger sister had asked him to look at something or other in the bathroom. She's got seven year old twins with learning difficulties (one autistic, the other hyperactive) He evidently huffed and puffed because he was tripping over things and she hadn't cleared the area of stuff where he was working. He had another job to do there but I had to laugh because he said he thought he'd got on her nerves a bit. I looked him right in the eye and asked him if he'd been huffing and puffing around the place. He looked away and said well yes. I said very tactfully that maybe he should give her a break from him and he a break from her and carry on after the weekend or else he'd have to deal with the boys too! He looked at me and said (shock, horror and wow) I guess you're right. I also suggested he called her to get her to ask her partner to clear the area where he'd got to work.

No Ellen it doesn't make it right but it does explain why some people are like they are. I still think your OS should've told you what he was doing and why.

I m think of you my friend x :puppysmooze: :flwrysmile:
 
Hello @DogLoverx3 - I do hope that you managed to get some sleep last night and switched off for a few hours from worrying about your knee.

@Chihuahuan's post yesterday was really sound. Before my daughter came along I worked for years at the British Medical Association - I was working with doctors all day, every day. A large number of them really do consider themselves superior beings - I think the others maintain a professional aloofness to avoid getting too involved with their patients. If you know what you are getting from the outset then you can interact accordingly (fight fire with fire) but from what you say your OS started off good and he now appears to be disinterested and offhand. It makes me mad when they are supercilious and dismissive - especially as their patients are usually very worried and not at their best both physically and mentally when seeking their help. In the days before you go back to see him, try and use your worry to your advantage, so that when you return you are strong, defiant and demanding answers. The 3 simple and repeated phrases to use are: 'Why?', 'Explain that to me' and 'What are you going to do about it?'

As for that fluid - years ago when I first damaged my knee, it was so huge they drew off fluid (without any numbing!) - they managed to take the equivalent of a wine bottle full out, and yes the fluid was a red/brown colour. My knee produced the fluid as a protection to the trauma that had occurred within. As I said yesterday, I was not aware until last week that bleeds do occur in post op TKRs - that's part of what happened with mine recently. My OS called it 'a significant bleed - but not a really big one'. Perhaps there is a soft tissue problem in your knee and it isn't healing because you work so hard and it isn't getting the chance to mend?

I know its impossible for you to stop worrying - the pain in your knee is a constant reminder - but there is nothing that you can do until you get those lab results and see your OS again. Try not to get too down - it's difficult not knowing what is causing this - but the very fact that you can get about and your ROM is terrific are big positives.

You have heaps of friends on here who really care for you. Sadly we are not just round the corner to pop in, but we are here to listen, support and act as a sounding board for all your concerns, and try to cheer you up.

Look after yourself today - I'll be thinking of you.
X
 
@dogwheels You stated that so well. I have been wondering if a lot of the problem is to do with the initial lack of healing and constant irritation of the soft tissues. I keep visualizing a sore that is constantly being rubbed. I sincerely hope that there is a simple solution. :flwrysmile:
 
honestly all I wanted today was for an x-ray to be taken so I could see that everything was okay and could just start accepting that this may just be how it is. As I was willing to pay for it, I have no clue why he would deny me that. He acted offended and said my implant was 'perfect' so why would I think it would have changed from week one when they're made to last for decade

That's scary that a Dr. would start defending himself like that UNLESS...he did something wrong!!!!!

That doc just sounds like a total wiener like you said. You deserve better care than that. I know that he is your OS, but if a pattern of behavior starts emerging I would seriously consider cutting the cord or consulting with another OS. There is no good excuse for his behavior. You deserve a doc that is going to help you to feel better.

You are so CORRECT @mcirish !!!!! And she certainly does deserve to be treated better!
@dogwheels You really hit the nail on the head with that one!!!!!!!!! GREAT POST Like @Nana moon 27 said AMAZING!!!!!
 
Thanks all for dropping by with your support. I managed to get a few hours sleep last night but I woke up to a huge knee. Worse than it's been for a while. I guess that's what happens when you jab a big needle into it, huh? I'm trying not to think about it and KNOW that whatever is going on is most likely my own fault so that just creates another layer of guilt/stress/worry/feeling sorry for myself. I am certain that if I had a 'normal' job and was able to take appropriate time off or had someone to help me with my recovery, that I wouldn't be in this boat (at least I hope not). I can't be the only one to have had to work too soon and too hard. This certainly isn't the life I planned for myself or the recovery I thought I was in for. :sad: I'll probably be off-line most of the day as I'm in one of my 'moods' and it does me no good to dwell on all the stupid and pointless 'what ifs'. I'll just try to be positive and hope for the best. I hope everyone is having a good day. xoxoxoxo
 
Oh Ellen !! Just catching up with your thread. Its horrible , that ordeal with your OS. My OS is cool but EVERYTIME I see him, he acts and moves like theres a fire in the building. Im lucky to be in his office 5 minutes. And now he wants to SEE me in a month. He hasnt touched my knee since my surgery and ive visited him 3 times. As for your situation I think your OS behavior is unacceptable. However you are stuck in between a rock and a hard place. So do you have the copy of the surgery report ?? If so, does it make sense? I hope the results of the blood draw come back negative. As if you havent been patient enough, now 2 weeks for the results. Gosh !! I really hope this turns around for you. You have such a great personality , great sense of humor , independent and successful. A new house is a about a month. Alot to look forward to. Stay positive , You have a great online support team. Have you seen your primary doctor ? If so , what has he or she said ? Are you still iceing ? If I recall Josephine still had pain 3-4 months into her surgery. Lets stay positive I will check in on you soon ! Best wishes . ICEMAN
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom