TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for your answers. I was just reading some posts on these amazing recoveries and got depressed! I am very happy for everyone but I just keep thinking I must be doing something wrong. Ran across yours and my recovery seems to be following yours somewhat. I was fortunate to take off work for 4 weeks, although I just worked from home. And still can't put in a 40 hour week. Even sitting at a desk all day, my knee swells up and just gets so uncomfortable so I go home. I had one day I made to 5pm! Thought that was a turning point but my knees corrected me the next day! I found your post that you made a list that started with something like, "I hope to be able to say I am glad I had this surgery done, but I'm not there". That list was everything that I am going through. Having both knees done, I get exhausted quickly! I just want my ROM and I would love to not have the swelling and pain. I am still on pain meds! Thanks for all the information on your recovery. I feel almost normal now. I was just about to go curl up in a ball and cry!
 
Hi @rfricano you are more than welcome to read my posts too. Mine also is a slow recovery and doglover and me have been supporting each other through some rough times in this recovery. The early stuff is best. The latest us like a coffee stop and chat shop now. It is lovely though. Just click on the link that's say woohoo etc and please feel free. It's normal for recovery to vary. You must never ever compare yourself with others. On one of the posts I wrote to doglover early on p, it was about how depressed I was reading posts by alpha males and females who recovered in two weeks etc.in the end I simply avoided these people. Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
@rfricano I'm glad you are able to take something away from my less than 'fluffy' posts. I'm always honest on here and I've gotten very discouraged reading about all the people who were off pain meds at 2 weeks and not walking with any aides or limp at 3 weeks. I, like you, would never begrudge anyone a smooth recovery, but it can get disheartening thinking that it's just you (and me) having challenges. It's not. There are many people on this wonderful site that have challenges still. That's why I post it all - good, bad & ugly. For some it's all good; for others though, not so much. ;-)

I think having to sit at a desk all day might be equally as daunting as having to stand or walk all day. I find that I still can't get comfortable for more than a hour or so without changing positions and my knee always stiffens up after sitting. I think you should still be on pain meds! You've had both knees done at once and are working! The exhaustion is tough and will last a while longer. It's still very rare that I don't need/want to take a nap during the day or go to bed very early.

Please don't doubt your recovery or think you are doing anything wrong. You're not. I think you're doing great and your ROM will improve in time. Like I posted today, I tried jacuzzi exercises today for the 1st time and not sure if it was the warm water or the lack of resistance, but my knee felt pretty good in there. If you have access to one (make sure it has steps that you can maneuver along with a bar to pull yourself up on), I'd give it a shot to work on some gentle stretching exercises. And do put the side of your knees up against the jets - ooooh, that felt soooo good!

Please stick around and keep posting on how you're doing. I owe this website a lot. I'd be completely lost without it and the wonderful people on here!
 
the warm water and lack of resistance gives you the sense of being able to push much further than you normally would, so you need to be very careful not to overdo.
Thank You for sharing that information !!! Knowing me I WOULD HAVE over done it!!!!!
 
@RunA42K - I know you're always working on your ROM, so I thought of you when I was in the jacuzzi. Have you tried this? I swear, I could almost bend my TKR leg as much as my 'good' leg while sitting in there after a while.

I know exactly what you mean @DogLoverx3, although I've not been in the water since my revision I was with my first TKR. We had a pool and when in the nice warm water I could bend my knee incredibly more than on dry land. We moved from that house after 24 years to where I am now in a one story house with no pool. As you know we are having a pool built and I know that will help me very much with my ROM. I've just got to wait till the end of April or there about.

I hope that your day today was a good one!
 
Doglover....so sorry your Mom is giving you "the business." It must be like childbirth for her and she's forgotten exactly what she went through with her knees. AND....more importantly....I bet she wasn't trying to run a catering business throughout her recovery!!! My gosh, what you have accomplished has boggled my mind. I constantly am amazed at what you are able to do and still maintain forward motion in your recovery. You are a superstar and don't let anyone try to tell you differently.

As you knew from the beginning, your activity level was going to mean some delays in your recovery. But in my opinion you've done a fabulous job of pacing yourself, knowing when to work and when to scale back, and you've kept your demanding business going. I don't think anyone could top that. So just smile and ignore the "barbs." Your BoneSmart family knows the real truth!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 Note to self: don't sleep for 21/2 hours again! Sleep pattern atrocious tonight/this morning. You need yours more. You've a very heavy day ahead of you my friend xoxoxox :puppysmooze:
 
Hi @mcirish, I love honesty. I love how you aren't afraid to admit this is not an easy ride so to speak. All those things that you say in your post are sooooo right. I could have written them myself. I wish you progress in your recovery even if its slow but sure. I get very frustrated at times and angry at the situation. Anyway I don't want to hijack Ellen's page any longer as it's not fair. I just wanted to say a big thank you for an honest post x x x love Nana moon 27 x
@Nana moon 27 ....always intended to respond to this post, but got so busy. Honesty is always good, especially if it helps people and make them feel not so alone in their suffering. Thanks for your kind words and well wishes. I hope your recovery gets easier day by day. Hope deep regular sleep finds you sooner rather than later. Beware of the flirty frenchman. I know a couple personally. Notorious hounds lol.

@DogLoverx3 ....a doll??? If you could could see the smile on my face. I haven't been called a doll since high school....thanks for that sweetie:) broken link removed: https://img.pandawhale.com/post-26026-bashful-shy-flower-skunk-Bambi-fwDy.gif

Hope your day goes well tomorrow. Try and take it easy if you can.
 
Hi @mcirish Thanks for your response. It's lovely to hear from you. Yes honesty is good. I have a phrase I use an awful lot and I had to smile because my 13 yr old granddaughter quoted it the other day to her mom! "You cannot argue with the truth" Needless to say my daughter said to her that she sounded way too much like me.

Yes I'm very aware about flirty Frenchmen but I'm aware of any flirty men lol! But thanks for watching out for me. I like that xox

Catch you later
Live Nana moon 27 xox
 
Thank you both Nanamoon27 and DogLoverx3. I didn't mean to start my story on your post. Just wanted to say thank you for posting your information. It really helped. I am really happy for all the speedy recoveries and I know I shouldn't compare but it was depressing for me. Then I ran across y'all's and it was something I could relate to. I am hardest on myself. I am fortunate that my husband and family are very supportive but I am just over this. I want a life back with no pain. I am amazed you can run a catering business on Tylenol!!! That is super wonderful.

We lived upstairs above our barn and was in the process of adding an addition downstairs when I had the surgery. It was supposed to be finished before the surgery but you know, best laid plans...any way, we are downstairs now and I have a whirlpool tub and it is heaven! I can't exercise much because it's not that deep but you are right, the jets are wonderful on my knee. Even in the south, it is still too cold for a pool.

Again, not want to post to much about me but thank you both for all your posts. It helps to know someone is going through the same thing I am.
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - hope that your day is going well - try not to do too much if you can possibly help it.

So much for hydro this morning - 40 mins of squats and lunges, squats and lunges, squats and lunges ...... - not fun. I thought of how much you would have enjoyed that!

I am sorry you didn't appreciate my suggestion of using napkin bras in your line of business!!!!!!!!!!
For my next trick I am going to make a knee joint implant using only an old Christmas napkin and some sticky tape!

Talk later
X
 
Oh @Jamie , what a nice post. Thank you SO much for saying what you did. I hadn't even realized you were still keeping an eye on me, but it makes me feel very special (not in a window licking sorta way) and lucky.

Sorry to make you blush @mcirish , but it's true. Having someone whose recovery is somewhat mirroring mine helps to alleviate my neurotic tendencies. :whistle:You always check in with a supportive comment or to let me know that I'm not alone in my struggles and that is absolutely invaluable to me.

@dogwheels - lunges and squats :shocked: you're right - I think that's a horrible way to spend the morning. ;-) Oooh, I like your next MacGyver trick in store! Amazing what you can build, fix, save the world with just a bit of sticky tape and a bobby pin. :heehee:

I slept horribly last night. Just couldn't get comfortable. I did head over to the jacuzzi again this morning when I woke up to do my little stretching exercises. As there's only so much a 5'10' person can do in a 8' diameter space, I sat on the edge of the seat and did bicycle kicks, some squats (just for you dogwheel), some swimming kicks and some stretches. Amazing how much looser my knee feels after that. Of course it stiffens back up when on dry land but for a few hours after, it feels pretty darn good. If anyone has some other exercises that I might be able to do in such a confined space, please let me know!

I have an appointment with my OS on Tuesday. Presumably so he can roll his eyes at me (just like my PT does) and tell me 'it's all normal', but there is a painful catching/pinching going on on the outside back of my knee when I go from straight to bent. It started after my 1st follow-up when he did some odd laxity test where he held my foot, put his hand behind my knee and kinda jiggled my leg side to side. It went away that 1st time after a few weeks, but ever since my last appointment when he did the same thing, it's been hurting. It's a very sharp pain that doesn't last long, but isn't normal. I need to catch him before he tries to jiggle my leg again and makes it worse. As I don't really understand the inner workings of my new 'parts', I'm not sure if he's shaken something loose or out of alignment, but I want and need an answer other than 'it's normal' because I doubt that it is and as it's not improving, he needs to address it.

Anyway, I'm off for my busy day. I will be sporting an elastic brace on my knee to hopefully keep the swelling to a minimum and will be very careful. I hope everyone has a terrific day!!
 
Oh goodness, I didn't tag my very special friend @Nana moon 27 - I hope your leg is feeling better from where you bopped it on whatever a pouffee is xoxoxxo

@rfricano , you're welcome to post anytime about anything you want. I don't always get the chance to check others' threads, so posting on mine is a-ok if you want! Hope you're having a good day!
 
I tried jacuzzi exercises today for the 1st time and not sure if it was the warm water or the lack of resistance, but my knee felt pretty good in there.

:yay:I like the sound of that! And I figure mild heat combined with gentle movements has turned out to be the best combination to get me moving in the mornings when my knee seems to be at it's stiffest.... (yes indeed, at nearly 5 months I still wake up to a reluctant knee) ... I warm up one of those gel-packs in the microwave and hold it on various places on my thigh when I first get on my exercycle with my coffee and an apple... after rocking back & forth for a bit I can start backwards revolutions and as I warm up can transition to slowly cranking forwards and gradually put my heel down and move my foot further back on the pedal to increase flexion. My theory on this is the warmth improves the blood and lymph flow around there so relaxes the surrounding muscles as well as kind of lubricating the joint. ...And unlike mild heat application to the injured area in the early post-op days it doesn't cause any swelling so for me it falls into the category of "if it feels good, do it"

BTW, we're at our "bolt-hole" out in Bamfield so Woodstock gets to run free chasing bears and otters off the property ... he's right in his element as a working dog and utterly happy so he's diverting some spare belly-rubs to all his virtual doggy friends! :puppysmooze:
Cheers, Al
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I hope that you are ok from your busy day. Oh I did think about you ever such a lot today. I just hope you are not suffering too badly my friend. I'm glad the Jacuzzi has helped you. It seems like hydrotherapy might suit you really well.

A pouffee is a kind of a large footstool but you can sit on them. The offending one in question matches the corner suite in the extension. It is three feet square and two feet high! Not a small object that can be missed easily. My daughter blamed herself. I reassured her that no it wasn't her fault, it was a simple accident. My father in law who's 86 years old jumped up that quick and tried to grab me bless him. It was lucky really he moved as that tea was scalding and nearly landed in his lap!!! He joked about how I was trying to burn an old pensioner etc and him and my daughter helped me sit down and elevate my leg. My husband was in the living room right next door and didn't know what had happened! I'm worried that I may not be able to go to the orchid display tomorrow, weather permitting. I have not moved from this bed. I have kept it iced and elevated. I have slept and when I woke up I thought it was 6.30 am! Ooh dear! I. Hoping if I rest, avoid those stairs, elevate and ice, do heel slides and leg raises etc on the bed I may fix it! Please!!!!

Ellen don't let the OS fob you off with any old lame excuses. I've had to stand my ground with these people on more than one occasion before my op. I found it useful to write everything down and take it with me. I also made notes too. They're not keen on that but you do get treated slightly differently if they think that you mean business. He needs to know what that jiggle exercise did to you and how you've suffered since as a result of this.

I'm glad you put the brace on and hope that it helps you today. I look forward to catching up with you later my friend xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo :puppysmooze:
 
Hiya @Nana moon 27 ! Thanks for thinking of me today. I will have to pop over to your thread and check out your lovely family. I hope your leg is feeling better from tripping over the pouffee ottoman thingie and you're able to see the orchids tomorrow!

Good to know @saltyal - I haven't tried using heat yet on anything so it was interesting to find out how good it made my knee feel to be in the jacuzzi (especially since I don't particularly care for them). The new house doesn't have a jacuzzi, but I am just 2 houses down from the community pool and it should be warm enough by then to do my exercises in there. I hope you and Woodstock are loving your time away! Have a great weekend!!

I had high hopes for my party set up today. My knee felt pretty good out of the water this morning and was only slightly bothering me by the time I arrived at my client's house. Less than an hour in though, it was throbbing and I had my craptastic limp back. *sigh* I'm very glad I didn't have to stay as I couldn't have done it. This makes me worried for my events coming up these next 2 weeks, but hopefully all will be okay.

I will make a list of specific questions to ask my OS on Tuesday and will not accept his 'don't worry' responses. I really feel that something is either loose or pinching behind my knee and it doesn't seem to be getting any better, so I want an answer. Hopefully it will be an answer that doesn't want to make me cry.

I hope everyone had a great Saturday!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I am So sorry about your knee playing it up. Thank goodness for your server.

I use heat every time I do any kind of exercise, front and back of knee x x It definitely helps. I've only done this since Freddy the Frenchman told me to. Prior to this I never warned the joint with heat before exercises. I was never told to by any of the previous PT's.

You definitely are going to need your notepad when you see your OS. X x x

Love Nana moon 27 x x x x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom