TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @DogLoverx3 my pics are on page 78 on my thread. It's been busy tonight. There are lovely pics of both susanne and dogwheels daughters xoxoxox:puppysmooze:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 how are you my friend. I'm sorry I was so blooming miserable earlier. I'm feeling a bit better now. It's just this whole thing with my knee now. I've had enough. I just want to be normal again! Not a big ask bit eight now it seems that way.

What have you been up to today! Anything to report? Catch you later. Love Nana moon 27 xox
 
Hi Ann! I saw everyone's pictures, very nice indeed! Such good looking kids and moms! :) Don't ever be sorry for having a down day. We all have them and I absolutely understand the frustration of not being 'normal' again yet. This process is VERY wearing on you. Physically, emotionally, socially and every other 'ally' that there is. It really does affect every aspect of our lives.

Not much to report for today. My knee has been very achey and sore today. My friend's son came over and mowed my lawn and washed my car for me, but aside from that hour and a half of chit chat, I've done nothing aside from some packing. I layed down around noon to take a nap and give my knee a rest, and just now woke up (5:10pm) :shocked: Looks like i'm not getting to sleep at a reasonable hour tonight!

The dogs have been beating on me today. So far I've gotten thwacked with 3 tails, a head to the knee, a body to the back of my knee and a pounce! It's a conspiracy, I tell ya' :umm:

It's late there now, so hopefully you are sound asleep and won't see this 'til morning. Here's hoping Monday is a better day for us both! xoxoxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I get the impression your old dogs don't like change and don't want to move! Two blows to the knee Ellen they mean serious business. Thwacked with three tails...ouch x

Glad your friends son came over. Have you told him you're moving? If yes what was his reaction? Him and his sister are very close to you.

I'm sorry about your knee being achy and sore. I cried today because of mine. More to do with frustration and discomfort than anything else.

I look forward to reading your posts later. Thinking of you as always

Love Nana moon 27 xox:puppysmooze:
 
My dogs should certainly know, by now, that they're pretty much top priority @Nana moon 27 . If they're mad now that I'm packing up and preparing to move, I can only imagine what they're going to do to me when they discover the new house doesn't have much of a yard at all (and no grass!). :shocked:They'll probably try to smother me in my sleep! If I can get my knee back to where it should be, the new house is smack dab in the middle of 3 parks though so they'll get lots of walks!

I did tell C that I was moving. He was afraid that would mean he was getting 'fired' and I told him that would never happen as although the new house doesn't really have a yard, I will have much needing to be done inside. I told him to brush up on hanging ceiling fans, window blinds, cupboard handles, shower heads and lots else! There is plenty to be done at the new house to keep him busy for a while! I told him he is being upgraded from 'yard boy' to 'house boy'. :heehee: He is an amazing kid. Just 17 but as soon as I told him, he immediately offered for he, his sister & his older brother to help with the move for the low low price of pizza! I just love those kids.

I know how you feel crying out of frustration. I'm so sorry that you're feeling discouraged. It will get better, just not as fast as either of us would hope. I'm excited for you to go to your caravan spot though! That will be a wonderful break for you!!!

I hope your day has gone well!! xoxoxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 that was so funny about the dogs lol x they don't realise what a lovely place they're going to. Three parks is a definite bonus. I just had a vision of Dickens lying across your head growling "this'll teach you!" Lol x x told you I'm a bit crazy! When do you move?

I hope you take up the kids offer of help it'll mean a lot to them! Pizza is a good rate! And I'm sure a few bucks would help too !!! I think you may get an email soon. It'll be nice for the kids to be included, if it's feasible. so that they feel they can come and see you. Helping you move in would give them a bit of ownership on the place psychologically. I think this would be good, so that they know they're still an important part of your life.

Did you think any of my kids look like me? Most people say me and the girls are totally different! I'm curious to know what you think ?

Give those lovely dogs a big fuss off old Auntie Annie over the pond for me please? Thank you.


Anyway I'll catch you later x x x

Live Nana moon 27 xoxox:puppysmooze:
 
It would be Bean that would smother me! Dickens is way to much of a momma's boy for that. I don't take possession of the house for another month, so hopefully I can be packed by then! I've posted some furniture and things on Craig's List to sell so I can start 'shrinking' my belongings.

Of course I'll take the kids' up on their offer to help! I'll take anyone up on their offer to help move! Moving sucks! You're right though, I want them to know that they're always welcome wherever I live. I actually made a will before my surgery (because I'm a 46 year old moron with no will before that) and left each of them one of my investment properties. Their dad knew as I asked his permission but I'm not sure that they ever did. As I survived, it's a moot point for now. That's just how much these kids mean to me.

Sorry, totally forgot to answer your question before. Your daughters are beautiful and I think resemble you very much! Moreso than your son I think but he's a good looking guy too! xoxoxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I am struggling to get up off a chair to my feet now because of the pain In my knee is so bad. This is ridiculous. I can't keep lying down all day elevating and icing. My weight is increasing daily due to inactivity. That is putting more strain on my knee. I going to have a serious chat with Freddy tomorrow. I will be seeing the GP on Friday and I will do the same with him.

I'm trying to be positive about it all but tbh it's getting really hard Ellen, terribly hard. I'm in bed watching soaps on catchup tv. Anything to distract me.

Anyway how's your day been? X x. Btw what is Craig's list?

I love what you've done for those kids. It's wonderful.
 
@DogLoverx3 I just don't know what to do. The pain meds have worked I have iced and elevated. I'm so fed up. Oh well Candy Crush or Bubble Witch here I come again! Lol xxx
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 , I'm so sorry your knee is hurting so much. May I ask why you're not seeing your OS about this? I don't know how it works in England, but I think TKR recovery is way beyond a GP knowledge. It might do good to see your OS and possibly get an x-ray to make sure all is still good since you're still having so much pain. I hope you're not going to let your GP 'poke' at your knee again as that just sounds painful. Having some nimrod shove their finger into already sore soft tissue. Just my opinion. Oh, and I guess I should apologize for calling your GP a nimrod. But I think he is. ;-)

Busy day for me with clients and errands and everything else. Craig's list is like an online garage sale. You post items for sale (furniture, appliances, etc....) and then the dregs of society either call or e-mail you about them. People on the site are notoriously flakey, but it's free to post, so what can I expect? I'm currently waiting for a couple to come look at a big ole' computer desk I have for sale that won't fit in the new house. Kinda strange paring my life down.

I hope you're feeling better Ann and that your GP has some positive things to tell you. I would try to get in to see your OS though - you're having more than enough issues to warrant a follow up visit. xoxoxo
 
Ann, I've given up on elevating and I only ice sometimes. I'm back taking Tramadol more than at night just because I don't think there's a need for me to actually be in pain. Hopefully we can both get some answers soon! Oh, and Candy Crush is pure evil. I removed the app from my phone. :umm:
 
I've upped my pain meds too. I'm not prepared to be in pain needlessly. The ice and elevation doesn't do much but I do it cos I think I should x x x

What you been up to today? Xxxx
 
@Nana moon 27 I am so sorry that you hurt so much. I agree with @DogLoverx3 --why isn't your OS involved? Mine did all the pain control meds and PT prescriptions.
At 3 1/2 mths out I still have some pain and some swelling but not enough to consistently be on narcotics. I keep myself very distracted with grandkids, trip planning, and genealogy. Hurt like crazy at the pool for a while today then it let up and is okay now.
I am deeply concerned about your well-being. I see you experiencing what I went through emotionally when I had breast cancer at about your age--the quest to feel normal and in control, and the concerns about finances if not working. From my heart --please ask your doctor about what you can do to help with this side of things. :puppysmooze::puppysmooze::puppysmooze:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I'm going to suggest the GP refers me back to the OS. This is never right. It's getting worse. Ok Im clumsy and that trip on Saturday did this no good whatsoever x x x x thanks for your advice and support my friend x x x

I hope you sell your stuff ok. The money will come in nice to buy your new house something special maybe.

I did a bit more retail therapy today on line. Some new jog pants and a pretty dress. Not to wear together! Ha ha.

I think all these medics are going to say is be more careful!!!!

Love Ann xoxox:puppysmooze:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Chihuahuan I most definitely will speak to him at length on Friday morning. I am his first appointment 8.40 am that day. I will suggest referral to OS. I promise to talk about emotional side. Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. Xox
 
I can't imagine that your GP would deny your request to be referred back to your OS. If he does, then it's time for a new GP as it's ridiculous that you're still having so much pain and all he can think to do is medicate it instead of checking to make sure it's nothing more than that going on. You can medicate all day long, but until you get to the root problem, it won't ever get fixed. And yes, you tripped over the foot-stool thingie, but you have been having issues all along that haven't improved. I hope you get it all sorted out my friend. xoxoxox

@Chihuahuan :shocked:I know it's a regional thing and different everywhere, but Craig's list personals is strictly for hook-ups in my neck of the woods. And no, I don't know that from personal experience. :heehee: Good for your son! And your daughter in law! :wink:
 
Hey Ellen, have not been here for a week or so. Hope you are doing well. I am pretty Status Quo. Not having any problems at all. Did another Arena Football Game on sunday and love those stairs. I sincerely hope you pain is getting better. I saw above you have upped your tramadol. For me and only for me I had a real problem with tramadol pre surgery. I actually got hooked on that drug and went through some withdrawal symptoms when it was time to stop it. Anyway hang in there. I feel very guilty that you and I had our surgery's so close together and You still have so much pain. I know a lot of that has to do with how active you are compared to me. You have a business and must be on your feet a lot and I am fortunate that I don't. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Bill
 
Ha ha @DogLoverx3 a 'nimrod'???? I have never heard that one before - only the piece of music by Elgar. I wasn't sure at first if it was an original 'Ellen-ism' but Google tells me otherwise. You learn something every day.

I hope that the packing and prep is going well for your move - although it must be really tiring, especially on top of your already busy schedule. You are right - moving sucks - I have done it so many times. Still, the necessary clearing and sorting is good for the soul (or so I tell myself). I have a heap of sorting to do - but it has waited and can wait a bit longer. When my daughter bought her place last year ......... well let's just say she took all the stuff she wanted and the remaining detritus got left behind. The door to her old living room is kept firmly shut as is the door to my study (which is piled high with stuff waiting to be moved). You seriously need danger money to enter either room - its hazardous! At some stage she will clear out her miscellaneous garbage and at that point I can reclaim the space and get both rooms sorted. It will happen ..............someday!

As for NM27 - we are all worried about her. I agree that she should be seeing her OS again, but things are not that easy with the NHS in UK. I think she said that OS had discharged her at 6 weeks or so. I hope I am wrong and she is still in his care as that will make things easier. If not, I think she will need to get another referral from her well-meaning but not particularly effective GP - and then wait for an appointment. The GP is just one cog in a long chain and doesn't really have much say, once he has made the referral. Hopefully he will weigh in on her behalf, but I am not holding my breath. I think she is really going to have to make a big fuss and a bit of a nuisance of herself. Sadly, General Practitioners are just that - general. The clues in the name! They are generalists and not specialists - and I really agree, right now she needs to see an ortho specialist.

Just to illustrate to you how poor things can be with NHS, on Saturday I was in the hydro pool with a really funny old Cockney lady who must have been around 80 years old. She told me she had her first TKR on NHS and had just gone privately for her second. She said: 'The first one was rubbish, they didn't care and treated me like a piece of meat. Recently I needed the other knee done as I couldn't walk on it, they agreed, but told me I would have to wait at least 18 months on the waiting list. I said to them that I couldn't wait that long as I would probably be dead by then, so I have used my life savings to come here and have it done privately. It has cost me, but I just couldn't wait'.
This is not the place for me to fume about the National Health Service - but it is severely overstretched and really broken in many places, and what results is quite scary.
I hope with all my heart that NM27 can get her knee re-assessed very soon - but be aware that these things are sometimes easier said than done.

Have to go now but will talk later
X
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom