TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I'm so sorry you've had a bad day @DogLoverx3, and yet you still manage to be positive on here. I always use Scarlett O'Hara's phrase "I'll think about that tomorrow, tomorrow is another day", it sounds like you do too. I hope you haven't got a busy weekend and can have a real rest. I can't suggest anything to help, but just know I'm thinking of you, lots of hugs xxx
@mcirish, I read your post about the bone pain, thank you for that. It explains so much, I'm fine during the day but then pay for it at night, at least I now know it's not just my knee being a ***!?** and there is a good reason for it.
 
I know what you mean about people asking why we are still limping, the other evening someone asked why I was still elevating my knee, surely by 9 weeks I was fully recovered, and then someone said for a keyhole operation it was taking a while, I was so cross, and immediately went into all the gory details of the operation, they soon shut up!
 
Today is okay. I've been busy running errand and my knee has not enjoyed it at all. I didn't use my cane today and I've got a big ole' limp to show for it. I just put on a compression sleeve that I bought the other day. It's not neoprene so isn't totally squishing my knee, but the support makes it feel better and will hopefully help with the swelling. I do hope my swelling goes away someday soon. I certainly didn't have this surgery so I would need to continue to wear knee braces.
FELL BETTER!!!!!!!!!!! I hope that swelling goes away someday soon too!!!!! ... How true about needing to wear braces after all we've all been through! Hopefully your knees will let you have the best day EVER!!!!!!!

I came home and iced and elevated and that didn't do much good, so I opted to just sit in my bed and cry. Productive, huh?
You are so funny and so uplifting you are allowed to cry once in a while!!!! !!


I feel like I don't want to talk about my knee anywhere but here because frankly I think people think we are whiners and tired about hearing about my knee
AMEN!!! I feel the exact same way!! Thank God we have BONESMART!!!!!

I cancelled going out to a happy hour tonight with a group of people that I normally love because I couldn't face another round of questions as to 'what's taking me so long' to get better
Awwww DogLovers you are most definitely not alone here!!!!:friends:

I was so cross, and immediately went into all the gory details of the operation, they soon shut up!
:rofsign: AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
@mcirish I must have missed somewhere along the way the site you found about bone pain. I'd be interested in reading that. When I bend my knee to the point of discomfort the pain is in my shin. The Physical Therapist says its from the long implant from my revision still healing.

@DogLoverx3 Ellen, I hope that you wake up today and have a wonderful day! Each day is a new day and on this merry go round of recovery we continually have good days along with bad. You had your bad yesterday and probably won't be your last but at least now the good days out number the bad. Take care and have a blessed happy day!!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3, okay I'd better tell you something about yesterday with Freddy the Frenchman. I promise this is complete,y true but I couldn't face telling anyone yesterday. So I thought today, I'll cheer up my special friend and tell you what happened. OMG I was so embarrassed.

I walked in. He greeted me with a hug and a kiss on both cheeks (face Ellen not butt!). He looked at my tracksuit bottoms, frowned and said "where are your shorts?" I said "at home why?" "Oh dear" he said "but I 'ave to massage your leg!" "Oh I didn't realise, I thought it would just be exercise!" I said. He rolled his eyes and then said (omg cringe), "are you wearing decent underwear ?". I said a bit stroppily "of course I am why?" He said "okay zen. You will 'ave to take off ze tracksuit bottoms and cover yiourzelf with zis paper sheeting!" I did just that. How embarrassing. So there I was lying in my knickers covered by a mere paper sheet, having my leg massaged by a very fit Frenchman. Others would be saying way to go. I wanted the way out!!! I thought this might make you smile Ellen! I'm going to copy and paste it now it's in the open and put it on my thread.

I have to say it is much straighter today and I have done his exercises today. I don't feel too bad but knowing my body of old it'll be tomorrow it gets me!!!

Ellen I sincerely hope,that you have managed to get some sleep, lord knows you deserve it. You work so hard and you are so caring.

I look forward to reading your posts later. I hope that you are okay my lovely friend? Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox:puppysmooze:
 
Oh @DogLoverx3, you really have come a long way...most of us have the luxury of not having to work so soon after surgery and have more help than you have had. I am amazed at what you have accomplished; I have great admiration for you! You have certainly earned the right to cry and to say 'no' to invites! I think a lot of us dream of the day we will be walking normally...hang in there!
 
Thank you everyone for dropping by to cheer me up. I really don't know what I would do without having found this website. Even my mom, who had both her knees replaced, thinks I'm a slacker and a whiner and can't understand why I'm having so many challenges 3 months out. It's all very discouraging, but I know it's part of the process. It's just hard when no one around really understands and having to do it on my own just sucks more than words can say (yesterday was made worse when having to haul myself up the stairs to bed and then remembering, once I got to the top of the stairs, that I had forgotten my ice pack and having to go back down - ugh - not fun when already in pain)

Anyway, I went to bed very early last night and just watched movies on my laptop. I slept okay and then woke up and decided that today is going to be better than yesterday (luckily I set the bar really low yesterday). Finally, after a month of talking about it, I put on a swimsuit (I think it shrunk during my recovery - boo) and headed to my subdivision's pool. Sadly, the pool is not heated and not yet quite warm enough to swim in, so I settled for the jacuzzi. I'm not a fan of public jacuzzis (germ soup) especially when not with a cute guy and a cocktail, but I was there to exercise. So there I was, in the little jacuzzi, marching in place, working on knee bends, a few kicks and some bicycle motions. My options were limited since I was in such a confined space. Of course, as soon as I got out there, the pool guy showed up and not like you see in the movies either. Although he was nice, it just meant I now had an audience to watch me do my awkward exercises. The best part about being in there though is that I could shove the side of my knee up against a jet for a little massage and it felt really good. My knee felt looser in there and I was able to bend much more than usual (and of course, there's no way I could do a squat on dry land).

@RunA42K - I know you're always working on your ROM, so I thought of you when I was in the jacuzzi. Have you tried this? I swear, I could almost bend my TKR leg as much as my 'good' leg while sitting in there after a while.

@mcirish , you're a doll. Thank you so much for the lame joke (i did get it) and your words of support and encouragement. I did read that article you posted on Ice's thread but my main 'it's not just me' moment was seeing what you actually typed into google to find the web-page. This is an amazing community of big hearted people and you are certianly one of them!

@Nana moon 27 - as always, you're my biggest cheerleader and it means the world to me. Now, as for your 'workout' yesterday......uhm, kinda speechless. I guess since he does acupuncture, the having you 'work out' in your undies makes a little sense, but I'm going to stick with my 'pervy Frenchman' opinion for now. ;-) I am glad that he was able to help you though! No wonder your husband doesn't like him! I hope you continue to get better!

@yiayia3 @mtnchyld @suzzee2000 @Ellejay and everyone else, thank you for all your kind words. This is just such a tough and loooong process. I hate feeling sorry for myself and whining so much, but I know that you all understand. I'm just ready to be one of those success stories. Until then, I guess I will just plug away and do the best I can. xoxoxoxox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DogLoverx3 I am absolutely amazed that your mom has that attitude towards you. That's harsh! Really harsh! However, I remember reading somewhere amongst someone else's posts that their mom had it done but then suffered convenient memory syndrome! The person who posted remembered her mom being in really bad pain with it. Her mom said it was easy. almost as though she'd forgotten what the pain was like. This maybe the case with yours?

As for forgetting things downstairs I know that only too well. It drives me to distraction some days. Im glad that you managed to get to the pool and do some exercises they seem to have helped you a bit. That was very interesting about the fact you could get more movement in the water. I think I might see if I can get my daughter to go to one of the better local pools near me. I dread to think about what I'm going to look like In a swimsuit. As I said I did lose quite a bit of weight at first but it's creeping back on and I look flabby which is unusual for me. However, when you think about how much exercise I'm not getting I suppose it's not surprising really. Normal I out on weight and get bigger but not flabby this is a new one for me! I'm glad to see that when the pool man came around you were not the floozie in the jacuzzi! Only kidding lol x he sounds grotty, although you didn't describe him really. That spoke volumes In itself!

My day was ok. I've been In all day and fell asleep this afternoon. I tidied my bedroom and changed the bedding. When he came back I got him to fetch the vacuum up for me and that's when I fell asleep lol xoxo I going to do the vacuuming now. Btw I never told my husband about the knickers bit! Lol x I need to be able to go back again not have him going off on one over nothing! Needless to say I have found my shorts. They are ready and waiting for next week.

@mtnchyld it's nice to see you back around again are you keeping ok?

Any way Ellen, I hope that your day is a good one and that your knee isn't too troublesome. Please stay In touch and have a really great day xoxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxo:puppysmooze: Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxoxox
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 - I come from a pretty 'tough' family, so I'm not surprised by my mom's comments. The majority of my family seems to be missing the empathy gene.....I'm still waiting for just one of them to offer to come visit or help me with anything....

haha, the pool guy wasn't groddy, I just prefer to not have anyone around when I'm doing embarrassing things. Or if there are, I'd like them to be scantily clad, exceptionally handsome and holding a frozen beverage for me. ;-) As I've got about 20lbs to lose thanks to this awesome knee thing, I'm not the spectacular specimen I once was in a bathing suit :heehee:

Ugh, I still haven't managed to vacuum since my surgery. With 3 dogs and carpet upstairs, I'm sure you can imagine. :shocked:Glad you were able to rest today and I'm hoping your knee has been feeling better!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry your mum is being so hard on you, that must be really tough to cope with. You have it tough already, I know I'm so lucky having support at home and not working, which is probably the reason for my good recovery. I do hope that you manage to have a good weekend, I'll be thinking of you xxx
 
Thanks @Ellejay! I'm sadly used to my unsupportive family - they've always been that way. I think I was adopted :umm:I've got a busy day tomorrow that I am hoping isn't too tough on my knee, but I can rest on Sunday, so that's good. Have a wonderful trip!! xoxo
 
It's just hard when no one around really understands and having to do it on my own just sucks more than words can say
That is so true @DogLoverx3 so we have to keep our heads up and keep walking the walk!!!!!!!!!
:iagree:

The best part about being in there though is that I could shove the side of my knee up against a jet for a little massage and it felt really good. My knee felt looser in there and I was able to bend much more than usual
I'm going to have to remember that for myself and how great it makes the knee feel!!! Thanks for sharing that!
:):)
come from a pretty 'tough' family, so I'm not surprised by my mom's comments. The majority of my family seems to be missing the empathy gene.....
We must be related :yes: :loll::yes:
 
Thanks @suzzee2000 , too bad we can't choose our families, huh? :whistle: As for the jacuzzi jets, they were awesome! Once I let one of the jets 'massage' one side of my knee for a couple minutes, I flipped around and let it work on the other side some. I would say that was my best 'find' to date (aside from my hand held shower head that allows me to just let the warm water run over my knee). Just be sure, once you're able to hit the jacuzzi, not to overdo - the warm water and lack of resistance gives you the sense of being able to push much further than you normally would, so you need to be very careful not to overdo.
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I wish you luck tomorrow with your work I know you say your server will take over but you do the majority of the heavy stuff yourself!

I just hope that you can rest tomorrow after. If you haven't got to go out after maybe you could sit in the garden with your legs elevated in the sunshine!

Night night Ellen

Catch you later love Ann xoxoxox:puppysmooze:
 
Thanks @Nana moon 27 , yes, I do most of the setup and heavy work myself, but that will only be for a couple of hours. I hope to be back home by @5pm and will do nothing but lay around and wait for my server to text me when she's done @8:30-9pm.... I've got 2 BIG events coming up in the next couple of weeks, so I'm going to try to pace myself as much as possible.

I hope you're able to sleep tonight (uhm, even though I think it's close to 1am there already) and that you have a lovely and relaxing Saturday! xoxoxoxo
 
Dogloverx3. Just started reading on some of your posts. I am also a huge dog lover, 6 dogs, 2 cats, 3 horses and 5 donkeys! I had a bilateral Jan 13th and still only have 90 in my right and a little better in my left. I read a few of your first posts and some near the end. How is your range of motion now? How are you doing?
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 its 12.30 am you're very close with your time guess x I will try to sleep in a bit, unfortunately I slept deeply for 21/2 hours today. What a muppet.

Ooh I forgot to respond to any plans for the weekend. Tomorrow the kids and grand kids will come down. Sunday I want to go to the Botanical Gardens here in Birmingham...I've never been and they have an orchid show on Sunday. Weather permitting I hope to go. I'll let you know.

Apart from your work tomorrow, do you have any plans for the weekend? xoxoxox :puppysmooze:

Love Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh, the botanical gardens sounds lovely Ann! I hope the weather is nice for you! Please take your cane/stick/whatever you call it so you don't wear out too quickly and enjoy!!

No 'fun' plans this weekend. I seriously am having the weird setback of only wanting to leave the house when I 'have' to .... nothing fun in the works. Did text a friend to see if she wanted to go to the movies this week, but that will be in a dark theatre so no one can judge me. ;-)

Hi @rfricano , my thread is a bit daunting to trudge through. Don't worry about your ROM, you're doing great! My original ROM was 75 - went up to 105 within 2 weeks, then fell back to 80-85 and got 'stuck' for 3+ weeks. I'm currently at 130-135 flex and almost at zero for extension. I've had issues with getting my extension to zero and prior to surgery, my best was 5, but I think I'm close to 0 now. Taking anti-inflamatories is what finally seemed to 'un-stick' my ROM. I have had and still have issues with swelling. I'm still having a pretty rough go of it, but a lot of that is due to the fact that I've been working since day 10 (not by choice, believe me) so haven't been able to rest like I should. I think your having a bilateral is amazing. I could never have done it. How is everything going for you?
 
WTG @DogLoverx3 awesome results on your knee movement. I like it!!!

I will definitely take the stick cos it gets tired very quickly. Fingers crossed for the weather XXXX:puppysmooze:Xoxox
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom