TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading updates on my phone, but have not had a chance to get to everyone's threads this weekend in order to catch up, but just so you know I'm thinking of everyone:

@Karringtyn - I'm glad you had a lovely anniversary yesterday but sorry your are in more pain than usual today - bet it was worth it thought!
@dogwheels - I'm so sorry that your bend is not better today - I am glad that you're going to call your OS in the morning - I know how frustrating any setbacks can be but try not to get discouraged. You were having a great recovery before this little 'blip' and will continue to have a great recovery after. ((hugs))
@Ellejay - so happy things are going so well for you! I've actually never made Marmalade before - I hope yours turns out delicious! What kind are you making?
@yiayia3 - mmmmmmm, Yorkshire pudding! Delish! (Karringtyn, they're sort of like popovers to us Americans) - I hope they turned out wonderfully and you had a lovely Sunday dinner!
@saltyal - I hope you and Woodstock have had an awesome weekend full of walks and fun!
@fiftydollarbill - I hope you're having a terrific weekend as well and enjoying our awesome weather before it starts getting too hot again!
@mtnchyld - I saw the question on your thread about the burning and popping around your incision site - I can't remember, but did you have disolveable sutures (not staples) for your incision? If so, I can pretty much guarantee that it's just an internal suture popping or breaking which is nothing to worry about, but does create an uncomfortable burning sensation. Right around 4 weeks is when that was happening for me.
@Nana moon 27 !!! How are you feeling today, my friend? I hope you've had a lovely day!!!!

Oh goodness, I know I'm forgetting a bunch of people and wish I had more time to spend on here this weekend, but I hope everyone is doing great and having a nice weekend! xoxoxo
Thanks ellen I did have a great weekend. I am a big Arena Football fan and theArizona Rattlers won a big game on Sat night. all is very well with me. I have still about the same flexion but extention is still zero seems to be getting better on the whole out look for the knee. I walked up and down those stadium step six time during the game taking two at a time going up the are a little shorted than normal step so I flew up them. I am sorry to here you pain is not doing well hang in there it will get better. Being at three months myself is a great milestone I thought I would never reach. Be well. bill
 
How fun @fiftydollarbill ! That's awesome that you were out enjoying an arena football game! I hope you also partook of a beer and a hot dog! :) Good job on the steps! That sounds a bit daunting, but you did great!

@Nana moon 27 , I hope you were able to sleep well last night and you are having a nice Monday. How are you feeling, my friend?

@dogwheels , I am anxious to hear what your OS & PT have to say about your knee. May I ask, you said that it hurts behind your knee and down your leg - is it to one side or the other? I have something that seems to 'catch' on the outer side of my TKR knee when I go from straight to bent too quickly and it HURTS, but never lasts more than a few seconds. I've always worried that something was loose or not fitted properly. I'm just curious is all. I'm hopefully you find out that you just pulled or strained something and it will be an easy fix.

@Ellejay , yes, that would lovely to have some sort of a warp speed shuttle (and the funds to finance one) so we could visit each other. Could you imagine multiple TKR patients in one room?! :yikes:

I just got back from the dreaded Walmart to stock up on new and exciting knee supplies. I got a velcro strap thingie that is specifically made for Patellar Tendonitis. You fit it right under your knee and it has a little plastic protrusion thingie that you fit directly over the Patella Tendon and then you tighten it so it applies firm pressure to it. Seems to be helping a little. Did have store security follow me around though to make sure I paid for the empty box. Really? Out of all the people that shop at Walmart, they choose to follow me?!? I also bought a proper ice bag that can refilled so I will not have to travel with a ziplock any more :) (i'm fancy) as well as a couple of ace bandages and a compression sleeve - not neoprene, but one that will apply gentle compression to my knee and hopefully help with the swelling. Geez, so many gizmos! I had my TKR so I could STOP wearing a knee brace. *sigh*

I hope everyone is having a lovely Monday/St Patrick's day! xoxoxxo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DogLoverx3 my chest isn't great again. My knee has been horrid so I'm going to see the GP in the morning, hopefully. I've took it very easy today and rested. My granddaughter was of school today so she stayed and kept me company. I fell asleep this afternoon for an hour really solid. She laughed when I woke up and said I'd been snoring really badly.

I hope my are okay too. My colleague has just arrived so I have to go. I was hoping that she would cancel. That is not good nice of me at all. I can't help how I feel.

Well done on getting the strap for your knee I hope that it will help immensely. I'll post later when she's gone x x x x x. Love Nana moon 27 x x x x x
 
Hi @DogLoverx3, I did smile whilst reading your post, Wallmart obviously don't employ the smartest of people for their security, seeing all the knee aids in your basket you'd have thought he realised that you weren't likely to try to make a quick getaway wouldn't you?
I hope that all these aids give you some relief, but more importantly I hope you don't need them for long.
 
Hahaha, I know, right @Ellejay ? It's not like I can out-run anyone and why on earth would I be carrying around the empty box instead of stashing it if my true intention was to smuggle the pain minimizing device out on my person. :shrug:

I had a busy day today with trips to Costco, Walmart, Home Depot, food delivery to my older couple, walk thru the new house again and am now back home to do some baking. The best thing I can say about the patellar tendonitis is that it distracts me from my TKR pain and swelling. :wink:

I hope everyone had a nice day and I hope that @Chihuahuan sends me one of those yummy scones that she made today! :)

@Nana moon 27 , you need to get well my sweet. :sad:
 
@DogLoverx3 Haven't been over here for a while. Was thinking about you today while I was on a baking binge with odds and ends in the fridge --scones made with vanilla yoghurt, a very ripe banana, chopped strawberries and nuts on top--delicious! Then I made a coconut custard pie for the first time -yikes--it smells good but needs to cool much more before we can taste it. :umm:
 
hahaha Ann - I want some of Chihuahuan's scones too! Guess I shouldn't tell you I just made pulled chicken enchiladas and oatmeal raspberry bars :) Hope you enjoyed your snap, crackle & pop! xoxoxo
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I sure did yummy. It was the scones that set me off. I hope she posts the recipe for them x x x the only trouble is with all the baking ive been doing my husbands waistline is rapidly expanding!!!!ooh oat meal raspberry bars marvellous! X x x x x :puppysmooze:
 
Sorry it's something I made up as I went along. Just mushed up the banana with a vanilla yoghurt, added in a chopped very large strawberry, then put in enough Heart Healthy Bisquik mix to make it drop scone (or US-shortcake) texture. Dropped it onto a parchment sheet , dotted with nuts, and baked at 425. Sadly you can't get Bisquik in the UK --probably self-raising flour and a little oil would work. It did not need any other added sugar at all.
 
Hey @Chihuahuan , I do all my 'pulled' things in the crock pot! :) It's sooo easy and the meat just falls apart. I'm a fan of green sauces with pork & chicken but will make a red sauce when I use beef.
 
Day 5,032 .... okay, that's just what it feels like. Nothing big to report. My knee and patella tendon kept me awake most of last night so i've taken 2 naps today (thank goodness it was a slow day for me) which hopefully won't keep me up tonight. The patella tendon thing is weird. Makes it hurt to walk - sharp stabbing pains. I can't ice it though as that actually hurts. Weird. Since I can't ice that, I can't ice my knee either. Truth be told, I've been cutting back on icing anyway as it only seems to help for the amount of time that the ice is on - the minute I stand up, the swelling and stiffness come right back (and I'm tired of having cold feet) ;-)

I was very stiff when I got out of bed today and it was hard to take those 1st few steps. I'm still so uncertain of my new knee and every time I stand from sitting or laying down, I stay still for a second in order to make sure it's not going to give out on me :sad:

I've been concentrating really hard on walking with a proper gait and actually had one of the gals I work with tell me that I was walking much better today. I was really excited and then I realized she usually sees me later in the day. My gait is always better in the morning and progressively gets worse as the day goes on and my knee hurts more. Boo. I'll keep working on it though!

I've cancelled any and all social plans for this week as I'm finding myself hugely self conscious lately. I'm not up to answering questions about my limp, 'why I'm walking weird', 'why i'm still limping', or why I'm still using a cane/crutch at 3 months. Geesh, I sure do hope I can find that woman I used to be that didn't much care what others thought and wasn't so self conscious that she won't even look up when she walks (partly because I'm afraid I'm going to trip) or make eye contact. I kinda miss her. I am certain my friends do as well......
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 I hope you have managed to get a reasonable nights sleep.

Of everyone on this site, I so relate to where you are coming from with all of this. When I read your above post, I felt like I'd written it myself because for all intents and purposes those are my thoughts and feelings too. I ignore remarks about how I walk now and about still using a crutch. I simply say yes I've had a knee replacement and just my luck, my recovery is slow. I too, am self conscious and that's not normally me. I'm sick of looking at the floor too, I want to look at what's around me.

The part about missing your confident self, yes definitely. I don't know why our confidence has took such a tumble. It has to be something to do with the effect and the limitations that have happened through this surgery. My GP again said it's early days and I shouldn't be comparing myself but I can't help it you know!

I'm hoping once sleep returns properly and regularly maybe then well go back to being the go getting, confident, mischievous fun lovers we used to be.

By the way I've contacted that private PT. He's going to fit me in ASAP. He remembered me so well he even remembered my job etc he going to call me back shortly x x x

I hope you're ok my friend :friends:

Love Nana moon 27 xoxoxox massive hugs to you :puppysmooze:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think maybe a little mild heat would help loosen things up with the tendon?
 
Hi @kneeper! I haven't tried heat. I've thought about it, but I wasn't sure. With all the swelling I still have in/on my knee, I didn't know if that would be counterproductive. It's tough to try to figure out how to 'help' one issue without negatively impacting the other.

@Nana moon 27 - you'll find that gal again. We both will! And from what I read, you'll have a swarthy frenchman to help you along the way!!! You go! :heehee: (don't worry, we won't tell Richard)

@dogwheels , not that I ever really was a fan of the candy to begin with, but I saw a rack of Mars Bars at the store this morning and couldn't help but picture one on a stick. Not sure if that's better or worse than picturing one floating in the tub :umm:
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 - for what it's worth, my PT said heat is OK, but best not used where there is still swelling.

Fancy you not being partial to the old Mars Bar? Cant say I blame you - I don't like them either. I start to sweat (sorry perspire, no that's not lady like, let's say 'glow') on my top lip as soon as I bite into one. Yuk!
It's not as popular amongst us in the South of England, but further North and in Scotland they deep fry them in
batter in the Fish and Chip shops. I thought you deserved a photo ..... it's enough to put you off food for the rest of the day!
[Bonesmart.org] My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom