TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Chihuahuan , love the new pic!!! So cute! :puppysmooze: Yes, I'm looking forward to the dog movie event. It's not until March 15th, so I have time yet. I'm so glad things are going well for you and your recovery! Since I'm just a week behind you, I use your posts as an encouraging peek at what's to come. Although I'm behind most in the recovery roller coaster, I can at least see what is awaiting me in the (hopefully) not too distant future!

Sorry @Nana moon 27 , although that tight band feeling is the worst, it is normal. I'm surprised you haven't felt it before. That 'lovely' feeling started around week 3 for me and stayed with me right up until last week. It still pops up occassionally, but isn't as constant. I know you can't take NSAIDs, but when I went back on Diclofenac is when it started to go away for me. I promise it will go away and get less, it will just take time.

It's 9:30am here and I'm already bored to tears! My knee was stiff upon getting up this morning, but at least it wasn't screaming in pain. I'm beginning to be able to make it thru the night without having to take pain meds at the odd dark o'clock hour, so that's good at least. I'm going to try and be good today and keep my activities to a minimum, but I'm missing some really nice weather to be out doing something. I may take a short walk down the street and back. Tomorrow I am going to a 3 hour painting class with one of my favorite teenagers of all time (an ex's daughter), so that will be fun. I'm a lousy painter, but she's terrific and it will make her happy to make fun of me. ;-) I've requested she keep the teasing to my lack of painting abilities and not my walking, but we'll see. ;-) I called ahead to see what sort of chairs they have there and they are tallish stools so that's good. I'll take a baggie of ice with me just in case, but I think I should be okay.

What's everyone else doing this weekend?
 
Hi @ DogLover x3 soooo lovely to hear from you. Yes, I'm fed up again I seem to be just behind you in a lot of what I go through in this journey xxx my sis in law came down (my husbands youngest sister) and talked me into knitting squares, so we sat on the bed knitting and putting the world to rights, this is unheard of for me. She thought it was fantastic to see me so chilled as she out or!!! And you know what I loved it. The only trouble is I now have a lousy headache as I was going to have a nap as she turned up x but hey never mind. I've no plans for this weekend. Just rest, elevate and try and sort out my knee! It's dawned on me that the steroids are anti inflammatory and wonder if this may be the swelling changing inside my knee making things move around a bit!

Hi @Chihuahuan love the new pic. Your dog is sooo cute I want to pet himxxxxx
 
Thanks @Chihuahuan and @DogLoverx3. My knee is now officially in charge no choice. It is a little easier today. I have been up and downstairs twice for a room break and change of scenery and food x x x
 
Take it easy on those stairs my friend. Xoxoxo My ex's son just left. He washed my car for me and mowed my lawn. Since I didn't want to miss out on any time talking to him, I hung out wherever he was and ended up standing/walking for a couple hours. He was so sweet and kept asking I wanted a chair and telling me to sit down, but of course I didn't. I don't want him to see me hurting so I sucked it up. I'm in bed now with an ice pack. Boo. Well worth it though to get to spend time with someone I love dearly. Hope you're having a good day!
 
Oh Ellen --please listen to you knee--- and your ex's son --- never ever suck it up . Perhaps every day you should write down what caused your knee to swell and what you could have avoided. Jen
 
do I make you want to do this Jen? :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang: I know, I know. I was hoping that just walking around or standing for a couple of hours wouldn't be that big a deal, but know that I deserve what I get. Darn pride. :umm:
 
I know why you did it @DogLoverx3, you just want a feeling of normality and look like this is no problem. I want that too but at a rate of knits I'm beginning to realise I gotta be more patient. Like you I think maybe I need to set my self targets but each time I try to something goes wrong eg my Asthma or pain. I've eaten something that hasn't agreed with me and my stomachs has bloated up like a balloon it's awful. Can't work out what!!!

It's lovely you had company you wanted and your plans for tomorrow sound great. Full report please !!!!!

Thirdly boredom is fatal and then when we so see someone or go somewhere we overdo it!!!!!

Catch you later x x xx
 
NanaMoon could be the the steriods have upset you, I used to take mine in the morning with plain yogurt might help have a good night Terri
 
Hi @DogLoverx3, I going to try and sleep. My eyes are killing me I have a banging headache but I think it's moreto do with this wretched virus that has triggered my asthma off. I also have an earache. I hope you have managed to rest and I promise ill be in touch in the morning at some point so when you wake up you can be reading my list it's a great cure for insomnia ha ha ha xxxx:puppysmooze:
 
yup, someone's ready to go beddy bye :whistle: sleep well, my friend :)
 
Thanks Nana Moon! My knee is still stiff and sore. Maybe not just from standing and walking too long on it today. I forgot that I added a couple of exercises at PT yesterday, so that is most likely the culprit. One was to help with balance (holding a large exercise ball out in front of me while I walk and having my knees touch with each step) and the other to help me get up from a sitting position without having to push off (called sit stands - I actually asked to do this one - thinking it was a mistake). Ooops, there was a 3rd one too, to help with my extension as I'm still missing 5 degrees (SO annoying!) that involves putting a band around my leg above my knee to the back and just pushing back to straighten my knee. I found that I couldn't do one of my newer exercises yesterday that involved a band around both lower legs and then side stepping in a semi quarter squat - only did 2 and then cried uncle.

I have a new and interesting pain feeling today in my goody bag of recovery torture tricks. Remember that tight rubber band feeling that we all know and love to hate? Well mine went away a week or so ago. It's evil cousin, the 1/2 a rubber band has paid me a visit. It's quite odd; from the midpoint of my knee around to the right side and then to the midpoint in back has that feeling. The left side is okee dokee. Weirder still is that the right side of my knee is the numb side and I could swear that the right side of my knee is more swollen than the left. Sound familiar to anyone?
 
Sounds like you over did it, your knee is giving you a little signal, that 1/2 rubberband feeling.
The balance exercises sound a little to strenous this early in your recovery. Ask for something gentler to help with balance.
 
@DogLoverx3 ouch!!!!! That last exercise sounded torturous - yikes!!!!!! The stand up one is really good for strengthening your quads but it does make your knee really ache as you are obviously aware! Have a great time with your art class today. I think it'll be a most welcome distraction! Move over Picasso!!!! Bring it on!!!! X x x :giggle: :puppysmooze: Hugs xoxox​
 
I'm still awake. Boo. It's not quite midnight here yet, so I still have time ;-) Yeah, I'm thinking I need to put that last exercise on the shelf. My knee buckled on me a couple of times last week, so my PT and I both thought it would help to get my quads in gear asap.

I'm really excited about the painting class! It's actually one where we copy Van Gogh paintings, so maybe I'll be him, not Picasso! ;-) Or maybe I'll be the poster child for what not to do when trying to paint well....

Were you able to sleep? How are you feeling?

Thanks @Pumpkln , as usual, you're right. I feel like I should know these things on my own by now, but it really does help to hear how silly/stupid I'm being :headbang: I will talk to my PT on Monday and certainly tell him the lovely after-effects of the exercises and ask for something gentler for me to try....
 
@DogLoverx3, you can't help doing stuff it's in your nature like I said before. It's part of being one of life's hard workers and the mind set of trying to get on with it. It is hard when this is how you are!!! Van Gogh sounds better but leave your ears alone!!!! I really wish you a fantastic day and hope that you enjoy it immensely. Painting even if you are no great shakes, is therapeutic, seriously. It is relaxing and distracting the same as doodling. Anyway, you might enjoy it. Advice to you though .... No Tracey Emin style you may offend x x x x ha ha xxxx:eeeuw::giggle::puppysmooze:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom