Guest viewing is limited

TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
PT went well --I changed the order of my exercises so I wasn't fatigued when it came to the balance ones and did much much better :egypdance: I graduate on Thursday :yahoo: I've asked for a print out of the exercises that I need to continue so I'm a happy camper.
On the way home I picked up a Greek Salad for dinner and chocolate for while I ice and elevate this afternoon. :yes!:
 
Good thinking on changing the order of your exercises! Congrats on graduating on Thursday too! I've signed up for an additional 3 weeks of PT, but only twice a week and I'm hoping that should about do it. Enjoy your evening of take away and chocolate!!! :cheers:
 
I've been able to cut back on my pain meds (hopefully I don't jinx it by announcing it). Only taking 1 oxy before bed, and then 1 Tramadol + 1 Tylenol every 5 hours with 1 Diclofenac every 12 hours. Okay, so now that I write it, it doesn't seem like I've cut back, but considering that just last week I was still having to take Oxy every 4 hours, I think I'm moving in the right direction.

I've seen some posts today about knee pain when either crossing legs or moving knee laterally. Good to know that I'm not the only one. Something about the angle of putting my TKR leg over my bent 'good' one when laying down doesn't agree with my knee (doesn't stop me from trying though).

I hope everyone has had a great day!
 
I've been able to cut back on my pain meds (hopefully I don't jinx it by announcing it). Only taking 1 oxy before bed, and then 1 Tramadol + 1 Tylenol every 5 hours with 1 Diclofenac every 12 hours. Okay, so now that I write it, it doesn't seem like I've cut back, but considering that just last week I was still having to take Oxy every 4 hours, I think I'm moving in the right direction.

I've seen some posts today about knee pain when either crossing legs or moving knee laterally. Good to know that I'm not the only one. Something about the angle of putting my TKR leg over my bent 'good' one when laying down doesn't agree with my knee (doesn't stop me from trying though).

I hope everyone has had a great day!

So good to hear things progressing @doglover3 and @Chihuahuan and that you are banishing some of the painkillers.

I've managed to not kill my husband yet for snoring but watch this space.

Just moving up to 5 week anniversary. You are all accurate that each day is different, some better/ worse than others. I will be glad to lose the the tight band that makes an appearance as soon as I do anything but guess that is some way away, having read other posts.

Still have little energy. After 10 mins of effort, need half an hour to recharge. I am embarrassed whenever I am asked how I feel.........guess I should be feeling more upbeat and that I am moving forward but"...............

Can't wait for hydrotherapy on Saturday cos I am told it really helps - hope so! My Physio was chatting whilst deep massaging ( torturing ) and asked had I got plans for holiday. I burst into tears and said I could not envisage being able to go anywhere - doh!! More Kleenex needed.
 
Sorry ... Pushed button! You will get there soon enough @ Bentley's Slave!!!!! Hope you enjoy the hydrotherapy.....I love it! Take it easy on yourself.... Love Chrissie xcc
 
@Bentley's Slave , Chrissie is right, you'll get there! You've gotten through the worst of it and you should start to see gradual improvements from here on out. Sure there will be bad days and setbacks thrown in just to annoy us ;-) but you can do it! Slow and steady, remember ((hugs)) Be sure to let me know how hydrotherapy goes! I'm interested to hear what you think of it!

Your energy level will (slowly) start to increase as well. I still have myself limited to one errand a day. The simplest things just wear me out. I used to get exhausted after just taking a shower. Now I don't get exhausted until after I shower, dry my hair AND get dressed. :whistle: I still take naps whenever I can.

I had a fitful night last night. Was up about every 2 hours. Didn't need to take any pain pills, just kept waking up for whatever reason. It's been cold here at night (according to AZ standards, please don't hit me) and I wake up very stiff. Not only my surgical knee, but my back, my shoulders, my 'good' knee. May have something to do with the fact that I mainly just layed around in bed most of yesterday. :blush:

Believe it or not, that tight band feeling starts to get less and less. I found that taking NSAIDs helped with it. When I started taking Naproxen, my flexion magically got 'unstuck' and when I stopped, I stiffened up again. When I switched to Diclofenac, after a few days, it occured to me that the tight band was much less! Of course, anyone should check with their OS or GP before starting a new medication, and there's much debate about the risk vs reward with NSAIDs, but for me, they seem to do their job. Not so much as a pain reliever, but certainly as an (internal) anti-inflammatory.
 
@Bentley's Slave and @DogLoverx3 . Glad everyone is on the forward path -- those back steps can be disheartening. Feel as though I turned a big corner this week (week 8 ) -- knee is looking more like a knee and working like one. I tried going off Tylenol and Celebrex but my body still needs it. I just think about what Josephine says about soreness being pain.
I still get tired too! I've stopped sleeping during the day but do close my eyes and lie down for a while in the afternoon. :thud::yawn:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Guess it was my turn for the step back :( I've had a really bad day. I thought I was doing well and things were getting better, but apparently that's only on days that I lay around and do nothing :( I catered a very small and short lunch today and my knee blew up like a balloon and hurts more than it has in a while. I'm tired of not being able to DO anything without repercussions. I'm also tired of my knee being so big and ugly. When does it start resembling an actual knee instead of a cantaloupe?
 
Oh no @doglover3 so sorry to hear of your bad day. You don't deserve that ugly knee!!

I just had a friend visit and she asked why my knee is still hurting and is so swollen! Did not make me feel very good.....might not encourage her to visit again.

Walked with one crutch for 30 mins today outside.......getting bored with the same walk so might have to increase it to get to a shop. Not allowed to drive until signed off by OS in a couple of weeks but don't think I could yet.

Glad to hear you have turned a corner @Chihuahuan well done and it's good to hear.

My knee is still so tight like a very full sausage that wants to burst - is that normal?
 
@DogLoverx3 Did the swelling go down quickly this time? Have a look at this broken link removed: https://contributors.healthline.com/fitness/how-can-you-tell-youre-overdoing-your-recuperation-program
This past week (week 8) has made such a difference for me --even my accidental over-squat didn't cause a major blow-up. I still have some swelling especially above the knee but that's also where it was swollen pre-surgery. That will take a while to go away.
@Bentley's Slave My home physio told me that he saw more swelling and stiffness in folks who walk too much --he had me doing about 10 minutes at a time max.
 
Hi @Chihuahuan & @Bentley's Slave . I'm still in a bit of a funk and pretty upset about yesterday. I couldn't sleep at all last night thanks to my knee. The most frustrating part is that although I catered yesterday, I didn't actually do much. I loaded the car (SUV so not much bending), unloaded, set up via cart, sat during the luncheon & then reloaded car and came home. No deep squats, no walking for miles, just simple, everyday things and my knee blew up, stayed that way the remainder of the day and prevented me from sleeping last night because it hurt so much. :-( I would think at 7.5 weeks, that I'd be able to do simple everyday stuff without consequence. :sorry:

Thank you for the article Chihuahuan. Sadly, my swelling did not go away in 30 minutes or even a couple of hours. It's better today, but still more swollen than usual. My swelling has never gone down all the way and I have since forgotten what the knee should actually look like at this point.

Yes, Bentley's Slave, that horrid amount of pressure is 'normal'. That's the internal swelling and it dissipates in time. Not sure if you're able to take NSAIDs or not, but taken them helped with that feeling for me (do NOT take them if you're taking aspirin and always check with your doctor for drug interactions)

I saw a woman at PT this morning who basically jaunted up to me and plopped down with an almost perfect gait, a knee that actually looked like a knee and proceeded to tell me she was 4 weeks post TKR. I know we shouldn't compare ourselves to others, but c'mon - I live in Arizona, I'd like to be able to wear shorts again without fear of scarring small children. :gaah:
 
Hi @Chihuahuan & @Bentley's Slave . I'm still in a bit of a funk and pretty upset about yesterday. I couldn't sleep at all last night thanks to my knee. The most frustrating part is that although I catered yesterday, I didn't actually do much. I loaded the car (SUV so not much bending), unloaded, set up via cart, sat during the luncheon & then reloaded car and came home. No deep squats, no walking for miles, just simple, everyday things and my knee blew up, stayed that way the remainder of the day and prevented me from sleeping last night because it hurt so much. :-( I would think at 7.5 weeks, that I'd be able to do simple everyday stuff without consequence. :sorry:

Thank you for the article Chihuahuan. Sadly, my swelling did not go away in 30 minutes or even a couple of hours. It's better today, but still more swollen than usual. My swelling has never gone down all the way and I have since forgotten what the knee should actually look like at this point.

Yes, Bentley's Slave, that horrid amount of pressure is 'normal'. That's the internal swelling and it dissipates in time. Not sure if you're able to take NSAIDs or not, but taken them helped with that feeling for me (do NOT take them if you're taking aspirin and always check with your doctor for drug interactions)

I saw a woman at PT this morning who basically jaunted up to me and plopped down with an almost perfect gait, a knee that actually looked like a knee and proceeded to tell me she was 4 weeks post TKR. I know we shouldn't compare ourselves to others, but c'mon - I live in Arizona, I'd like to be able to wear shorts again without fear of scarring small children. :gaah:

You didn't do much @doglover3! Sounds like a huge amount to me......sorry you could not sleep AGAIN. It must be so tiring.

I can't take NSAIDs. Took them for years and years and got stomach ulcers. Should only be taken for short periods.

Jealous of your weather in Arizona. It is persistently raining here..so no weAring shorts for us. Wouldn't mind scaring a cold or two....
 
@DogLoverx3 I have a feeling quite a bit went into preparing the food etc for the lunch -- it's all additive so your knee said whoa! way too much! back-off! It's just had a tantrum :tantrum:
Did you get any sleeping pills?
 
Crazy how this surgery and recovery has brought out the competitor in me @kneeper . Guess I'm used to be a bit ahead of the curve, so being at the back of the bus doesn't sit too well with me.

@Bentley's Slave , honestly, I wouldn't mind scaring a child or two, but I can't risk scaring away any eligible bachelors ;-) Thinking mis-matched & deformed knees aren't on the top of anyone's must have list..... If it makes you feel any better, it's been cold here lately (65/43) :whistle: We Arizonans have thin blood and are big wimps when it comes to cold

@Chihuahuan , glad your squats didn't have any lasting effect! It's hard for me to see all that I do clearly I guess. To me, that luncheon was 'nothing' compared to my usual routine, so I had hoped that at almost 8 weeks in, I wouldn't have had an issue and it would have encouraged me that I was on my way to getting back to my 'real' routine. :gaah: Guess it's not my time yet .....

I did make myself leave my self imposed pity party yesterday and met a friend for coffee and a really bad movie. She was so sweet. You know you're with a good friend when she offers to take your ziplock baggie to the concession stand to fill with ice so you can plop it on your knee during the movie. :) I sat on an aisle so could stretch my leg out, fidget and get up when I needed to without disturbing others (aside from the crunching of my ice bag, that is) :wink: I have to make a quick 'run' to Costco (electric cart will be used) and then am off to meet a friend for lunch today. After that it's back home to watch the opening ceremonies.

@Nana moon 27 ~ how are you feeling today? You've certainly had your hands full between your asthma, pain meds, knee and all else. :sad: My doggies are sending kisses! :puppysmooze::puppysmooze::puppysmooze:

Hope everyone has a great day!
 
Hi @DogLoverx3 . OMG what a day. The TiVo went down yesterday, had to have a new box this afternoon. All well and good except when he left I found there was no internet. He came back and eventually fixed it so hooray at last I'm now back on line. I never went physio which was wise. I have saved my strength as I have to go to my brothers 10th wedding anniversary and it's also his wife's birthday and all our lot will be there. I don't want to go. I am not in the mood. As I am typing this, my granddaughter is straightening my hair trying to put me into the right mood. I will make myself go. I know I'm like this because I've allowed things to get to me including my health by overdoing things. Not today though. I don't know what I would do without you you have been such a support. Thank you so much. I will chat later and let you know how the evening goes xxxx
 
Eeekk! No TiVo! I can't imagine @Nana moon 27 ! :beg:That's all I do when I'm home, watch TiVo with all my bad reality television shows (which is about the extent of my concentration level since surgery). Glad you skipped physio today. I know you don't want to go, but I hope you have fun tonight and that your family is very kind to you! Don't forget to take an ice pack, a baggie for ice, or whatever. Even if you're not elevating, I've found that when I am sitting for an extended period of time (like at happy hour :cheers2:), just having the ice on my bent knee seems to help. Hopefully your grand-daughter and your straight hair will cheer you up! I expect a full report! :friends:
 
Ok ma'am will do!!! Actually I look more like me now with the hair and makeup done. Well my working me if you know what I'm banging on about!!! Just got to get dressed. Icing my knee for a while. Going to take it with me. I was annoyed about the TiVo but more about the internet cos I couldn't access here xxxxxxxxxxx :puppysmooze::angel:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom