TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @DogLoverx3, MY KNEE WRECKED MY NIGHT!!!!!!!! I took and sat with ice on my knee the family waited on me like royalty, I was given the job as photographer because I was sat in the best position and my brother was jokingly upset because I took a nicer pic than him of his wife with her birthday cake!!!!! All my grandchildren and my daughters were there, I had lots of compliments about hair, (thank you granddaughter), makeup,clothes and my weight loss.

One minute I was laughing and joking with everyone and suddenly out of nowhere, the hottest, most excruciating pain scale10+ like boiling oil struck through the front of my knee. It made me gasp and immediately cry. I felt so foolish. Everyone was lovely but I was so embarrassed! Anyway, my husband brought me home, had to help me upstairs and I was sobbing. I have taken strong pain meds early and elevated my leg.

Why does this keep happening? One minute ok, next on the floor.I just don't understand this? Other people seem to get on so much better than me at this stage and earlier, I'm so frustrated, angry and upset with the situation. I'm definitely feeling sorry for myself x

I'm inboxing a pic of me from tonight that my granddaughter insisted on taking before we went out, to you x

Will be around for a while x x x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh @Nana moon 27 , I'm so sorry your evening out was spoilt, this recovery is really 'something else' isn't it? I had no idea what I was going to put myself through - not that I really had a choice, I couldn't have continued as I was and I suspect you are the same. I was having a moan earlier and my husband pointed out that had I have broken my leg I would be in plaster for 6-8 weeks at least, and then have to learn to walk properly again. So, we've had two bones broken for us, so what's the difference? No wonder we hurt, he was trying to make me understand I wasn't making a meal of it and milking it, he really does understand it hurts, and your husband sounds as if he is being just as understanding, it is just so difficult for us to be dependant on them. That's the part I'm hating the most.
I do hope you get a good nights sleep and feel better tomorrow,
Lyn
 
@Nana moon 27 I am so sorry to hear about the awful pain while at the party. Sudden pain like that is not uncommon. Until about a week ago, I had it off and on...it felt like someone was stabbing the inside of the joint with an ice pick, and it was hitting the nerve. It was an excruciating, jarring pain. I never knew when it was going to happen. Then all of a sudden, it stopped, and I have not felt it for about a week. I think a nerve was waking up, and was firing wildly until it healed. So, take heart....this, too, shall pass....
 
Hi @Ziggysmom thank you for that. I feel reassured now this is to be expected. I noticed you had your TKR before me. That makes me feel ok about this. Thank you. Please stay in touch. I keep feeling like I am not recovering quickly enough when I read posts from people who are sailing through it. I am honestly glad that they are and I mean that but my situation is my situation and right now the pain is getting to me somewhat x x x
 
@ Ellejay thank you for your kind post. Yes I never thought of it either as two bones broken, what a great way to look at it mmmm that's given me food for thought x catch you tomorrow x
 
@Ziggysmom , I'm sorry you are feeling discouraged today. I think you're doing great and you're leaps and bounds ahead of me! Heck, I went to meet a friend for lunch today and then came straight home for a nap before heading to PT. Really? Walking down a sidewalk and sitting in a restaurant for an hour wore me out? Geesh.

@Nana moon 27 , I'm with Ziggy's mom and just wrote on your thread that I used to get those pains too out of nowhere and they were horrible and stopped me in my tracks with no warning. Like Ziggy's mom, mine stopped a little over a week ago as well. It would be lovely if our legs and knees could come back to life in a nicer manner, but it is what it is. :-(

I am home, after PT, sitting with a huge knee and an ice pack. My swelling only seems to go in one direction - to increase and it's really a bit concerning to me. Of course, there was another wonder child at PT today who had to be 20 years older than me, is barely 4 weeks post TKR and her knee looks totally normal. As a matter of fact, everyone there today who'd had a TKR in the past 6 weeks had knees that actually looked like knees. I know everyone heals differently, but I see NO improvement. The second I wake up in the morning and put my foot on the floor, my knee swells. Kinda sucky :-(
 
I know exactly what you mean. It's the same here. Mine swells at the drop if a hat and all but screams abuse at me!!!! I'm going to get another ice pack now x x x please try and rest as much as possible, you sound as cheesed off as me!!! Xoxoxo :puppysmooze:
 
One of the PTs and then my neighbor both commented on how swollen my knee was. Uhm, thanks. Well aware....
 
Hmmm! Try to be patient --we have had a very traumatic procedure that takes a long long time to totally recover from. Reread the Bonesmart mantra --it works.
@Nana moon 27 I found sitting set off those awful nerve blasts but they do go away. Are you having good physio? It seems to be a mixed bag in the UK. I grew up in Stoke-on-Trent…
@DogLoverx3 I think that as we age the idea of rest changes so what someone your age regards as rest, or light work that cannot cause harm, is quite different for someone 20 years older. It's possibly what you are seeing at PT.
Have a good weekend. :flwrysmile:
 
I know you're right @Chihuahuan , I just can't seem to do anything to take the swelling down, so if doing absolutely nothing other than trips to the bathroom & kitchen don't help, it may be something I'm going to have to learn to live with. Ick.

Thank you for always being so nice and logical! I hope you have a great weekend too!
 
@DogLoverx3 I did my post....

@Chihuahuan you are so right. Actually my physios great no pushing. Stoke on Trent isn't a million miles away from Birmingham but I so understand you moving away to sunnier climes!!!! And I totally agree about what you said to DogLoverx3, I never thought about stuff that way about rest and light duties his they might differ mmmmmm very thoughtful. Have a great weekend and thanks for the advice x x x
 
That is why we struggle because we are the hard workers in life, always in control, on the money and workaholic!!! Pain we took in our stride and still worked our backsides off!!!!
 
You're right about that @Nana moon 27 ! ((hugs))

So here is my next 'big' milestone to work towards (it's a silly one and a month away, so I should be good). One of the big dog rescues in town puts on a fund raiser called 'date night for you and your pooch' where tons of people can bring their dogs to a great outdoor venue in the evening where you can buy food & drinks, bring blankets, chairs, whatever and they are showing the movie 'Hotel For Dogs'! I'm planning on taking my spastic PBGV, Bean, a big blanket, a chair, a bowl of water & treats for he and his new potential friends, a cocktail for me (what? I haven't had a drink in over 2 months!) and will have a friend meet me just in case something in my plan goes wrong and someone has to chase after Bean or help me off the ground (that's the part that scares me, so I'll probably stick to sitting in a chair and not on the ground). Sounds fun, right? :puppysmooze::happydance::puppysmooze:
 
I really think you'll be great by then x what a wonderful idea and taking a friend is very wise x x x x :puppysmooze: It's a good motivator x x x x
 
Hi DogLoverx3 and all. I had barely two hours sleep last night. I've just had a hours nap now. Knee doesn't hurt like last night but when I bend it , it feels like there is a beg fat elastic band going across it really tight horrible stiff tight band xxxxx
 
@Nana moon 27 That big fat band is absolutely normal. Mine has finally settled down at 8 weeks. In fact lots of stuff began to settle down at 7-8 weeks --even feel normal at the odd moment. Truly get the being in control and workaholic thing --learned with my first TKR that it doesn't work with this recovery. I've learned to not fight it and let my knee be in charge --one of the joys of being retired :)
@DogLoverx3 Once you are off pain meds life is so much better -- I really enjoy my glass of wine before dinner. I now just take Celebrex and take the odd twinge in stride. There is no way I could sit on the floor -- I'd never get up again. Sounds like a great event. :puppysmooze:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Members online

Back
Top Bottom