TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @DogLoverx3 The other thing regarding sleep. Have you tried that sleep,app by Erick Brown it does work. It was £2.99 (Eng)

I was very sceptical but it worked x x x x
 
Saran Wrap is Plastic Wrap (you know, the stuff you wrap food in). My scar is hypersensitive to any fabric touching it, so I have to put saran wrap over it as that alleviates the sensation for some reason. You should try it! My PT LOVES to make fun of me for doing that, but whatever. ;-)
 
Hi @DogLoverx3, over here it's called boring old cling film woo hoo exciting not! I will try it tomorrow! Do you just wrap it around your knee like wrapping up a piece of meat? XoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoXoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
 
Pretty much. I've read that some people put lotion on their knee to help the cling film ;) stick, but my knee is usually so hot that I just plop a piece on and it sticks! I used to wrap all the way around my knee, but found that just putting a piece over the front on my knee does the trick.
 
Hi @ DogLoverx3, I'll try the plain Saran. My problem is because I had all,those blisters where the skin is still a bit raw fro where they were, I cannot put any moisture on them as it kinda burns!!!! However, if I wear my skinny jeans they'll help the stuff stay in place. Be nice to wear them. It's freezing cold here, there is a frost, the cars are iced up! Thank you so much hugs again xoxoxoxo:puppysmooze:
 
DogLoverx3- I found this site about three weeks ago because I was looking for a template on how I should be feeling as I move forward in my recovery. Little did I know that there is no such thing. I've been following your thread for a couple of weeks now because you and I are close to the same age (I was 48 when I had my surgery.) And like it was for me, I know sleeping has been a problem for you. Have you talked to anyone about getting a sleeping pill of some kind? I had my surgery September 16, 2013 and I don't know what I would have done without a small dose of Ambien every night. It didn't knock me out all night, but 90% of the time I slept like a rock for about four hours. Some nights in the first month or so that was all of the sleep I got, but four hours is four hours.

I was very reluctant to try something to help me sleep because I am on six different prescriptions already. I had open heart surgery ten years ago and I have an artificial aortic root and an artificial aortic valve, so I am on some meds related to that. I had also heard how tough coming off Ambien can be, but I stopped cold turkey the night before Thanksgiving and haven't had a problem since. Maybe this is something to consider.
 
Indint know if this is any good to you @DogLoverx3 but I have a tip for you too. I don't know if you have to use weights on your legs for strengthening in physio but I do. A woman at the class the week before last suggested I used my wheat pack cold on it at home as it is the right weight! I don't know if you are familiar with them. They are normally warmed up in the microwave and applied to the knee to warm it x x x x :puppysmooze:
 
@Dog Lover 3. I used Ambien to reset my sleep pattern --I just used 1/2 of one. My RX needs refilling but don't want to see any doctors at the moment. I'm using Benadryl if I feel the need. @NanaMoon27. Benadryl is Diphenhydramine and has a different OTC name in the UK but I don't remember what it is.
 
Thanks @Chihuahuan it is Benadryl over here I'll look into that in the morning. Will speak to pharmacist to check use with morphine, paracetamol and steroids! Fingers crossed. I do need to sleep at night. Thank goodness for this site xoxoxoxo
 
@Chihuahuan & @New KNee in NE thanks for the tip about Ambien.. So weird that I was finally sleeping okay for about a week and then not again. Boo. Goodness you've been through a lot NE! Yes, sadly there is no 'normal' regarding this recovery, darn it. I hope you are doing well with your new knee!

I totally understand your aversion to going to any type of Dr for a while Chihuahua. I'm right there with you! I'm one of the odd ones that Benadryl has the opposite effect on. I get totally wired if I take it.

what's a wheat pack @Nana moon 27 ? I don't use weights at PT. Makes my knee hurt too much. I'd be fine if they just made my quads sore, but it hurts my actual (fake) knee so I won that battle with my PT. He still shakes his head at me, but too bad. ;)

I Just got a text from my pharmacy saying I have an RX ready to pick up. I assume it's my Tramadol?Geesh, my OS's office is SO weird! I seem to keep falling thru the cracks.... Guess I'll get dressed again and head out....or maybe I'll just take an oxy tonight and wait until morning. Decisions decisions
 
:yawn: Clear gels? I had no idea that Benadryl came in anything but the pink pills (which my beagle gets for his allergies). Now I'm def gonna have to get dressed and head out to the pharmacy to investigation! Thank you @Chihuahuan!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DogLoverx3 still blinking well awake! I am soooo fed up of this. Can't use sleep app because of morphine and it clash! A wheat pack is an oblong of material containing wheat or occasionally beans. You heat it up in the microwave and warm your arthritic joints with it!!!
 
@Chihuahuan , I was so excited by your suggestion that I ran right out. I found something called liquid capsules that I hope is what you were talking about. Same active ingredient aside from the pink coating (could it be the pink coating that works the opposite way on us?). Thanks again for letting me know, I had no idea! :zzz:

@New KNee in NE , not sure I'm the one you should use as a 'ruler' for recovery, btw. I seem to have an issue wrapping my head around the concept of doing 'too much'. I kinda think I'm on the bottom of the bell curve of recovery. Heck, I actually fell over today at PT while trying to do my marching exercise where you hold a ball in front of you and try and it hit it with your knees. Probably didn't help that I was laughing the whole time, but still. ;-) I'm getting there slowly but surely. At least my ROM is decent....

I'm sorry you're still awake @Nana moon 27 :friends:. Huh, who knew about a wheat pack!?! I use a heating pad. I do use dried beans or rice to weigh my pie crusts down when I'm baking them though :heehee: When did your GP say you could go off the morphine and does he have a 'step down' for you or does he just expect you to gradually decrease your morphine doses down to nothing and then be fine with Tylenol? :what: I would think that you'd need something to switch to in order to make the morphine withdrawal thing easier........ xoxoxoxo

Oh, and it was my Tramadol refill that was waiting for me at the pharmacy. Why must everything be so difficult for heaven's sake? At least I have them now and won't have to be in a panic. Thank goodness I requested my refill before I actually needed them or else I would have run out 3 days ago instead of just yesterday.
 
Oh @DogLoverx3 at least you got your meds!!!!! GP wants to see me week after next and yes I am supposed to be reducing. I think he will have to do something to switch. I'll have a chat with him then. I've the mother of sore throats right now that's keeping me awake!!!!

It seems like these medics like to play power games sometimes with meds xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo:puppysmooze:
 
NanaMoon, stop getting sick!! You poor thing. I hope you are able to rest eventually and feel better very soon.

My OS's office is weird. I don't think 'he' denied the refill or thinks I'm a pill chaser or whatever, I just think they're exceptionally unorganized. It's a HUGE practice and everything is compartmentalized. Apparently one hand never knows what the other is doing. It's like playing an annoying game of 'telephone' to try and get a message to or from my OS or the PA. I seem to be the one to keep falling through the cracks. But yes, at least I have my pills now and I will cherish them. ;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom