PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I got my emergency supply from a Goodwill Store. They looked like new! The same thing happened when I had to have my shoulder surgery and I was in a pillow sling for 8 weeks. I had to have oversized shirts with snaps. It's almost impossible to button up with one hand! I wasn't allowed to even more my wrist! Putting on a bra was fun, too!
 
Both my daughters love to shop thrift stores. They’ve found some great things!
 
Some things even still have the tags on them! It might benefit you to see if you can find some of those skirts. They have dressing rooms that you can try it on and see if it hurts your knee when it rubs against it. The skirts would give you another option.
 
Re surgery and eye changes: Medications, stress, and other life events can cause (often temporary) inflammation, changes in blood pressure, and "odd" changes in the body. I imagine surgery affects these things too. So after my surgery, my vision was quite different. Was it the medications? Yes, probably. Was it stress? Possibly. Was it increased inflammation or changes in blood pressure? Could be. Do I think that the surgery caused my cataracts, which were evidently growing peacefully and infinitesimally beforehand? No.

I think that my body's reactions to surgery called attention to issues I already had but hadn't really registered. Yep, my vision went wonky for a while. Yep, I visited my eye doctor, who told me that a cataract in one eye had grown, and that I was starting to develop one in the other. No, he didn't think it was from surgery. After TKR I had what seemed to be increased pain in my hip and ankle on the surgery side of my body. I thought, "What did that darn surgeon do???" My husband had to remind me that those aches and pains were there before surgery. My knee was soooo painful that I barely noticed the other discomforts. Now that the knee is doing well, my other body parts are asserting themselves and clamoring for attention. Did the surgery cause that? I don't think so.

Vision changes can be abrupt. I remember one day after my husband turned 41, he came downstairs and asked for a referral to my eye doctor. He had always had "perfect" vision, something I was, I hate to admit, jealous of, having worn glasses myself since 3rd grade! Suddenly--very suddenly, it seemed-- he had developed Presbyopia, which is a loss of elasticity in the eye that causes a person to have difficulty focusing in. Was it really that sudden? The doc said that of course it's a gradual process of aging, but that there's a point where it suddenly becomes annoyingly noticeable. He said that if he had a nickel for every middle-aged person who came into his office with a "sudden" inability to focus and complaining that they "couldn't see," he would be a very rich man. I myself didn't notice the "sudden" inability to focus until I was around 62. I kept going in to my eye doc, expecting my prescription to change, and he kept saying that my eyes were going closer to 20/20! "So why can't I see, Doctor??" Loss of elasticity and gradual growth of cataracts, which must someday be removed.

So my best guess is that these changes are co-incidental, not co-conspirators. At least, that's how I explain it to myself when I notice new issues that have cropped up suspiciously close to my surgery!!
 
I stepped down onto a step for the first time with my operated leg! It hurt, but I did it!

I know it’s very late in my recovery for relearning steps, but it’s rare I have any to do, and it’s been hard mentally to lead with my operated leg, my mind just wouldn’t do it when I did have steps to do. But I just did.

It’s nice out today and there are 2 steps from my deck to the ground, so I practiced 5 or 6 times. I did have to also have my cane as there isn’t much of a railing.

Does it hurt because it’s the first time, or is that further indication that something is not right? I will see how I feel as the afternoon goes on.
 
Could be subconscious mind.This morning my cellphone was ringing from another room, I took off trotting in a mad dash. Then remembered, my knee! Nothing to report, no pain, swelling , nothing:loll:
 
And since going down steps is new for me, even at 13 months post op, how often do you think I should practice it, and how many times on the step?

Every day?
Lead with operated step ? amount of times?

If I don’t do it as an exercise, it won’t get done, because there are very few steps in my life, including curbs!
 
I have a two story home , having to go up and down multiple times a day. I stand at the top of the step get my coordination, using the operative knee first, as reciprocal motion down the step. Reverse the process going up.
Always use a hand rail.
 
I’d say do steps a few times a week. I too have a two story house, with steps up to front and back entrances, and so do steps daily. My morning walks also include curbs, which are great for re-learning stepping up and down in stride. I actually did have to work on that.

What you’re building by practice is muscle memory, so eventually you don’t have to think about it.
 
I’m happy to report there were no repercussions after yesterday’s steps! If anything my knee actually feels a bit better! :loveshwr:

And it’s practically summer today!!! Except for many of the trees that still look like winter.
 
@Jockette - Doing a few steps (to start) a few times a week is a great idea - and you should step down with the surgical leg. Both my PT and OS said, down on the "bad" (as in down into hell") :heehee:and up to heaven using the good leg as a way to remember which to use. If you do that first and build strength before attempting to use the surgical leg to go up, you'll have less pain. You can add a few steps and a few repetitions every wekk. Going up with my surgical leg is still hard for me, but I pretty much always can do leg over leg now unless I am having a day of extreme numbness which still happens. Handrails are a must for anything more than one or two steps, and even then if the step is tall, I need a railing for just a couple of steps. This is one case where you won't get there without doing it on purpose and in a regular regimen. I bet if you start slow, you will be able to do stairs well within a matter of a few weeks.
 
@Jockette ~ that's great :thumb: you're practising going up and down stairs. hopefully after awhile it will feel good to be using both knees/legs equally so that one won't be compensating for the other. after my surgery, my "good" knee/thigh became very weak and a bit painful from the compensating to the point where my "new" knee was doing the work and i was leading with my new knee going up the stairs. i just kept using both going up and down stairs and now they both seem normal. i don't need to hold on to handrails if i'm not carrying anything. continue to do what you're doing since you're making progress.:flwrysmile:
 
Sounds like a bit of progress for you. Yeah! Also, yippee.... soon your dress code will match the season! :) When you're further along with your healing/recovery, and you have a bad other knee, you will "switch" over your use and thinking...
I now go "up" with my "good" knee - and that's my new bionic knee. And I go "down" with my "bad" knee - my natural arthritic knee. :) That has been in the last several months.

There is light showing in your tunnel.
 
Yay, up and down steps! As you get better at it, reverse the way you are doing it and it'll work on your muscles. I'm trying that now. I'm going down with my old knee, making my new knee bend, and then up with my new knee, making it carry my weight. It's hard to do at first, but does get easier.
 
My dental appointment is next week. I’m going to be compliant and take their required antibiotic. I know it’s not necessary and I have the right to refuse, and I know that the dentist also has the right to refuse to treat me if I don’t.

At first they told me I need to take it an hour before the appointment. I just spoke with them about my coming to pick it up ahead of time, but since this is my first appointment with them I am not a patient until I’m there with completed new patient forms, so they can’t let me pick it up ahead of time.

So they can give me the antibiotic that day, and now they tell me it only has to be a half hour ahead of time.

My question is, how can only 30-60 minutes of one pill of amoxicillin 500 mg in my system protect me from the extremely dangerous knee infections I’ve read about on here. It would make more sense to me if it was in my system at least 24 hours.

My point is, I think it’s very frustrating. Not to mention how controversial this whole recommendation is anyway. :gaah:
 
Last edited:
One 500mg amoxicillin ? My prescription is 4 amoxicillin 500mg for a total of 2000 mg. one hour before procedure.
 
That was my understanding. We’ll see if that changes when I get there. There has already been different information in my 2 phone calls.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom