Guest viewing is limited

PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I also am supposed to take 4 amoxicillin for 2000 total mg. (I forgot for my last cleaning. Oops. Think I’ll survive, though.)

I think they want the amoxicillin in your bloodstream at the time of the procedure. Maybe one hour, or a half hour, is enough to make sure the antibiotic is actively circulating?
 
Last edited:
Ok, my mistake. I just listened again to the voicemail return call from the dentist yesterday and she did say 4 of the 500 mg amoxicillin. That might make a bit more sense than me.
 
Wow no wonder you are concerned. My OS told me had to take the antibiotic for the next 30 years, before any invastive procedure. My dentist said only 2 years, but I would be rather safe than sorry. I don’t have allergies to medication or environmental.
 
It really isn't necessary to take antibiotics for dental procedures, although I do understand if people feel they have to. The bacteria found in your mouth are not the ones usually implicated in knee replacement infections.
Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures

It's the routine use of prophylactic antibiotics that has led us to the situation we are in now, with the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

I also went through the dilemma of whether or not to take antibiotics for dental work. My surgeon said they were necessary, but my dentist was adamant that they are not.
Initially, I took the antibiotic.
Then, after a year, I decided to take it only for invasive procedures, such as extractions and root canals.
Two years ago, I decided to stop taking prophylactic antibiotics at all and I have not encountered any problems.
 
The bacteria out there are getting immune to so many of our antibiotics that it's really getting scary. I think we need to not use them unless absolutely necessary. But, this is just my opinion.
 
I am seriously considering cancelling this dental appointment. I read this article:
https://healthydebate.ca/personal-h...joints-need-antibiotics-before-a-dental-visit
And some people had bad side effects to that much “just in case” premedication.

My body has had bad reactions to things since surgery. Not trying to be melodramatic, but I’ve suffered enough, without inviting anything else unnecessarily. :bawl:

Celle and Sistersinhim, I agree with all you said.

I did call the dental office a little while ago and asked more questions. They require premedication for 2 years after replacement and then, you can stop, but they require a note from my surgeon agreeing with that.

They only require premedication with procedures that will produce bleeding, like the initial exam, teeth cleaning, extractions, etc. I would not need it for a filling, or to fix a broken tooth.

I will think this through a bit more, but I’m leaning towards cancelling. Maybe if they would give me a normal dose for a longer period of time I might be willing, but I don’t like the idea of this massive dose with so little support to it.
 
Do consider that good dental care is important. Good strong teeth are priceless. I agree with the article, too, and don't mind fudging on my meds for principle. Just don't neglect your teeth waiting for two years to be up. :bawl:
 
I had an irrational fear of getting my teeth cleaned, which I wrote about in my own thread. I finally told myself I couldn't go the rest of my life without getting my teeth cleaned, and I got it done. My OS prescribes the antibiotics, and the prescription is refillable for a year. My dental office had me sign a waiver that I had, indeed, taken the four amoxicillin. And I had to take the pills again last week when I went to a new dermatologist in my new city to get a lesion removed. I am not going to argue with them about it, I'll just take the dang things. I didn't get the you know whats this time after taking them, although I did in February when I went to the dentist. Let us know what you decided Jockette. But here's the thing that bothers me, why would someone get a knee infection a year or two out from TKR surgery, if not from something like teeth cleaning?
 
The worry for me is what is this massive dose of amoxicillin going to do to me? (actually nothing, because I’m canceling the appointment therefore I won’t have to take it )

The receptionist told me their protocol is from the American Dental Association and she told me to look it up. I did, and this is dated March 2, 2018:
https://www.ada.org/en/member-center/oral-health-topics/antibiotic-prophylaxis

In my recent search about this issue I have not found anything online that says I should take the antibiotic before treatment. So why do so many professionals insist we should? Is it just so they don’t get blamed in the rare occasion that something does happen?

So I guess I’m on the hunt for a new dentist.

I guess I could appeal to my surgeon and see if he would consent to a written permission to take a normal dosage over a period of time, as a compromise. I guess I could live with that. Maybe. But I am opposed to this much at one time. I’ve had problems with antibiotics in the past. And that was when I was sick. I do not want to chance putting this much at one time into my healthy body.
 
It like some OSs want aggressive PT. Why, when it's proven that sets recovery back? It seems like some are just set in their ways and don't want to change.
 
I also am supposed to take 4 amoxicillinnfor 2000 total mg.
That's the dose prescribed for me, here in little ole New Zealand. I think it must be a standard dose for dental work, if you are going to take antibiotics.

I guess the idea is to hit the bugs hard, before they take it into their heads to even think about infecting you. :heehee:
That way (maybe) the bacteria won't have time to develop a resistance.
 
My doc told me to take one pill, 300 mg. He used to say two pills!!!
 
I wouldn't take them either. When I went to get my bottom dentures, I also had some measuring and scrapping done, which caused bleeding, but he didn't require any antibiotics. I am glad of that. Antibiotics do a number on my digestive track!
 
this is something i'll have to soon face, having to tell the dentist that i don't want to take an antibiotic for the sole purpose of preventing infection to my new knee. hubby and i were due to go around a month ago (we always go together because it's a bit of a long drive, since we moved), but hubby got sick and we had to cancel. i phoned the office and the receptionist said that i could be "allowed" to not take the antibiotic if i consulted my surgeon or doctor to get their approval, and they would take my word for it.

for years now, the medical community has been cautioning us about the super bugs that are immune to certain antibiotics and i don't want to contribute to that, knowing reliable information that antibiotics are not necessarily needed for dental cleaning. i can understand for anything intrusive. if they think that cleaning can introduce infection-causing bacteria, then why wouldn't home flossing and brushing be the same? i also don't like the idea of someone telling me "i have to take an antibiotic" when i have researched otherwise. i'm sure the dentist doesn't want to lose me as a patient after 35 years!! (end of rant).
 
i also don't like the idea of someone telling me "i have to take an antibiotic" when i have researched otherwise.
I agree!

I did find a dentist about 30 minutes from me that does not require the antibiotic and he has a lovely article about it on his website, explaining why he doesn’t. I made an appointment.

When I spoke with the receptionist while making the appointment she suggested I call my surgeon to be sure it’s ok and I told her I didn’t want to call him, that I was pretty sure he’d say to take it and I don’t want to. I refrained from telling her that I don’t care what my surgeon’s opinion is on the matter. I don’t understand why the receptionist suggested it because the website clearly states it’s not necessary except with people who have certain medical conditions and I don’t have any of them.

I was kind of upset on Tuesday dealing with all this. I mean, if we’re sick and need medicine, we take it, and unless the side effects are drastic, we accept them and just deal with it. But it upset me to think about being forced to take what I consider a massive dose when I’m not sick and have to deal with possible, if not probable, side effects, just to satisfy someone else’s opinion, when there are tons of Internet articles saying it’s not necessary.
 
So, on Wednesday I tried bowling the way I used to before surgery, using the more “choreographed” (for lack of a better term) approach to the throw line. It did not go well. My knee did not want to bend, it only did a little and it felt very awkward and uncomfortable, which made me let go of the ball at a higher and not good angle. While I did get 8 pins down with that throw, it was very uncomfortable to my whole body. I tried one other time with the same result and yesterday my back hurt in a new spot. It seems better today, but it’s early.

So I think I’m very content with my post surgery approach and throw, lower scores and all! And they were very low on Wednesday: 91, 87 and 99. I like at least 100. But as I said, I just like to bowl, so I have fun whatever the score, though I admit higher scores are more fun.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom