PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

Nsaids do slow down bone healing. I found that out after having been taking it after my ankle/foot breaks. I still wasn't all the way healed at 3 months. That's when I read how nsaids slow down bone healing. I tried to stop taking my Diclofenac, but the rest of my body hurt so bad that it made my quality of life not there! So, I went back on it. I then started reading up on herbs and minerals that help bone and tissue healing and starting taking those. I still do because it looks like I'm stuck on anti-inflammatories the rest of my life.

If you google bone healing, you can find some good products. I got mine from Amazon. I love that Prime free shipping!

What products do you buy from Amazon for bone healing?
 
Nsaids do slow down bone healing. I found that out after having been taking it after my ankle/foot breaks. I still wasn't all the way healed at 3 months. That's when I read how nsaids slow down bone healing. I tried to stop taking my Diclofenac, but the rest of my body hurt so bad that it made my quality of life not there! So, I went back on it. I then started reading up on herbs and minerals that help bone and tissue healing and starting taking those. I still do because it looks like I'm stuck on anti-inflammatories the rest of my life.

If you google bone healing, you can find some good products. I got mine from Amazon. I love that Prime free shipping!
I read on another thread you recommended gabapenten for nerve issues, so I’m sure you must think highly of it. Is is good for a long time frame, or just short?
I've never actually recommended it personally, I just said it usually used to treat nerve pain, that I've had it once and it was very effective for me. Which is was! Gabapentin: what is it for and how does it work?

Josephine - I read the article on Gabapentin. I take the capsules (300 mg) so there is no way I can split dosages. Not sure how I can wean myself of it. Any suggestions?
 
Hi @Jockette. I started typing this post the other night and got as far as the letters aq then fell asleep sitting up. So sorry. I’m glad the taping is helping a bit. Hopefully that will prove that you have valid concerns when you go back to your surgeon. It did for me. I had my knee taped by the physio as I believed there was something wrong with it. He reported his findings and then when I had this recent replacement the kneecap was shaved and a button placed. Good luck.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited:
Hi @Jockette. I started typing this post the other night and got as far as the letters aq then fell asleep sitting up
I SO remember those days! :console2:

Thanks for your thoughts. What did they say was wrong with your patella?

Oh my, I really really don’t want to go through all this again. :bawl:
Especially reading your current experience.

If I do decide to get a second opinion, what information will they want me to bring? I am planning to ask for my surgical report and the X-rays they take at this next appointment. Should I ask for All the X-rays they have taken this past year? I have been xrayed at each of 7 appointments.
 
I would, if I were you. They put them on a CD, so it's easy to have them all in one place.
 
@Jockette please don’t let my experience put you off. Don’t forget I had an accident and fell down the stairs missing the last four steps and smacking my head on a concrete wall in front of me. Who knows what damage I did to the knee replacement and surrounding soft tissue, I’m not sure exactly how I landed but it was all on the left side and the pain in my left knee was excruciating. That in addition to heaps of adhesions, has resulted in one big mess. My patella wasn’t tracking properly and we used tape to try and keep it in place. It worked relieving the immediate pain but didn’t resolve anything.

For your second opinion I’d take all your X-rays so he can see any changes. Your surgical report is also a good idea. I don’t think there’s anything else.

Good luck with your decision making.
 
There are others who have really difficult recoveries. I don’t know if mine was difficult or not, on average, but it was difficult for me. I don’t handle pain well. I had a very hard time accepting the recovery and all the limitations and
unrealistic expectations from OS, PT, and everybody else, as I was expecting it to be much easier and shorter because that’s all I read about partials beforehand.

I mentioned this on another thread, I was scared about the surgery before hand but I didn’t know what I was scared of. Now I do!

Thankfully I found Bonesmart!
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

@MMcIntosh
Well I guess I left the tape on too long. I put it on Friday evening, 3-2-18 and took it off yesterday morning, Tuesday 3-6-18. It’s been tender and itchy for a couple of hours. But I took it off 38 hours ago and I just noticed the redness. It wasn’t red at 8 pm. I did have a small flannel quilt over my lap, I guess the warmth brought out the redness.

The knee did feel better with it on. It hasn’t felt great since I took it off, but we had that winter storm the last 24 hours so that could be part of it.

I walked around Target for over an hour earlier. The knee was actually hurting a bit.
 
Last edited:
@Jockette I found out during this recovery process that I am very allergic to the adhesive material in bandaids etc., as I had to wear them for several weeks over my stitches due to abscesses. I thought of that allergy when you mentioned tender and itchy. So sorry you are having so much difficulty. I really do think you might achieve some much needed peace of mind if you do decide to get a second opinion. And I concur that you should take all your X-rays with you to the second opinion. I get how overwhelming it must feel to face dealing with other doctor, but it might be so worth the effort for you. Best of luck.
 
Well, that red area is much less red this morning but still there. It is still itchy but less so. I didn’t know what to put on it, if anything, so I didn’t. Any suggestions?

I noticed a bit of swelling last night which is still there. If the knee wants to act up more than usual, then now is the time. I have an appointment on Tuesday.
 
And I’ve used kenisio tape before and never had this problem. So I guess it reacted with a knee that was already upset. My previous chiropractor regularly taped my back and I left it on this many days and was fine.

And I took it off very carefully. I know you can’t just pull it off. I waited until I was in the shower, it was very wet, and I used my moisturizing shower gel on it and peeled it off slowly.
 
I also don't normally react to bandaids but when I had to use one on my knee due to the stitch abscess' I too had a reaction where the bandaid sat. Seems to me, I must only react when something has been on for awhile.... I think your knee may be more upset due to the time in Target - you said you were on it long enough that it began to hurt. We need to get this appointment here.
 
I’ve walked that long in stores before and was fine but not last night. I think the little bit of swelling is interesting. It is spots that have always been bigger since surgery but didn’t bother me.

What a mess this whole experience has been. :blackcloud:
 
If you’ve been taping your knee a lot, for long periods of time, and I think that might be the case, your skin could just be irritated. For one of my abdominal surgeries I developed a complication that required wearing a wound vac for a few months. The tape was on all the time. I’m not allergic to any adhesives, etc.. What happened, though, was my skin would get irritated by the taping/changing/retaping. We had to move the seal out or in (around the wound) to give my skin some rest because it was starting to break down.

Hope it was just the Nor’Easter causing your knee to act up. :nah:
 
I’ve only taped my knee twice, the first time for less than 48 hours, then this time Friday evening until Tuesday morning.

I kept it on through Monday to see how I felt bowling with it. It was bothering me Monday evening but decided to just wait until my shower on Tuesday morning to take it off.

I think I’ve proved the knee does better when taped, and that’s what I wanted to know. Since my appointment is this coming Tuesday I don’t think I’ll tape it again before then.

We got the perfect snow: snowed prettily for a while and melted a couple of hours later. :roseshwr:

@SusieShoes how much snow did you get?
 
how much snow did you get?

We got 7 inches but at least the power stayed on! Last time we lost power for 24 hours and could hardly leave our neighborhood because nearly every street had downed trees and power lines. :gaah:

I could not take my daily walk this morning, because ice, so have been working the knees by cleaning out cabinets under the counters and taking multiple trips up and down my stairs. :heehee:
 
Amazing the difference in snow amounts in a relatively short distance.
 
Jockette, if I were you, I'd work my knee really well before you visit to your OS on Tuesday. He needs to see your knee after a normal work day. That way it'll be so sugar coating it. By your photo, it appears to be swollen already. He needs to see that.
 
I was thinking that, too. I’m only having minor discomfort right now, and I’m sick to death of icing, so I’m not going to ice it. I will be bowling the day before the appointment, so there’s activity.

It does seem to be a bit swollen. It usually doesn’t look like this. Do you think it could be from the irritation of the tape?

The tape area is not as red as it was, but there is still obvious evidence of the tape. It was quite red after my shower this morning and has settled down a bit.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom