PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

@Polkadot Sometimes you stretch it and sometimes you don’t. This particular guy said he didn’t, so I didn’t.
We did stretch it a little when we taped my back.

I’m amazed at how it seems to be helping. Maybe it’s a mind thing, also, as I can feel the tape so it’s distracting me from the painful discomfort I had without the tape. :shrug:
 
The taping sounds interesting. I've read about it but you're the first person I've read about where I have followed your history and have a grasp of what's (maybe) going on. I want to read the answers to your questions! Best of all is that it is helping you.

Shocking pink is perfect!
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
Here’s my taped knee
 
Last edited:
I will try to do better at centering the kneecap between the tape next time.
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
@Josephine
Here is a closer look at the spot that feels like a hunk of wood has been shoved into the knee. I feel this any time a lean forward and if I do too much turning, as when I am working in the kitchen.
 
I'm so please you had success. I think it probably does mean you have a problem there but it should settle down in time!

I think the colours indicate the strength of the tape.

Here is a closer look at the spot that feels like a hunk of wood has been shoved into the knee.
Gosh what a graphic description! I think the spot you indicate is where the ITB inserts into the top of the tibia. So you would appear to have distal ilio-tibial tendinitis.

[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
 
This is what I used:

[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

To be found on Amazon

I took a walk this morning on this lovely sunny day and even my walking feels better.
 
I am so glad it's working for you! That's what counts. How's your skin feeling? Still OK?
 
My skin is fine. I’ve had this before on my back, it lasts for several days.

@Josephine
Back in July, at 4 months post op, I struggled painfully getting up and down from a low toilet for a whole weekend, while staying at our friend’s house. My leg, not just the knee, has honestly not been the same since. Could that motion, equal to doing squats, have pushed my patella out of place?
 
@Josephine
I missed the part about the tendinitis and photo you posted and just now saw it. Does this take months and months to recover?
 
This is my knee’s angle in the car. It is a bit painful. I do have a small board under my toes so my foot is not flat on the floor. It’s been bothering me in the car more than usual for the last week. It used to be ok in the car.

[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
 
@Jockette. I am wrapping my knee with an Ace bandage or using Tubigrip. I notice that I have to wrap it a certain way. I believe what I am doing is mimicking the placement of your pretty pink tape. I will have to get some and give it a try. After a while, the Ace bandage or Tubigrip slides down or rolls so the tape may be a better solution. I have an IT band issue.
 
I took a walk this morning on this lovely sunny day and even my walking feels better.
That's so good to hear!
I missed the part about the tendinitis and photo you posted and just now saw it. Does this take months and months to recover?
It certainly can do. Such inflammatory conditions can pass from acute to chronic issues.
I struggled painfully getting up and down from a low toilet for a whole weekend, while staying at our friend’s house. My leg, not just the knee, has honestly not been the same since. Could that motion, equal to doing squats, have pushed my patella out of place?
Well there are two things here -
1. if it is 'just' an inflammatory issue like ITB tendinitis than you've certainly worsened it with actions like that
2. if it's also a displaced patella or even Patella Baja then that's a condition which you didn't caused but could certainly made worse just like in#1​
 
I am so glad the tape is working for you. This is the best news I've seen all day. Yay, you!:dancy::yes!:
 
@Josephine How do we diagnose a pattella problem.

What should I expect/hope my surgeon will do at my upcoming appointment on March 13.

If my surgeon does not want to investigate, what should I do?
 
Last edited:
Good to hear the taping may just be helping you a bit. I was diagnosed with the IT Band Syndrome and when I would point to your area circled as my most painful, my OS would say, yes, that is from the IT Band. I've been working on stretches for it since Sept/Oct. It's gotten better, but that is still a very funky area for me.
 
@jaschembra

Have you ever had any patellar issues?
And what kind of stretches are you doing?
 
Your taping looks almost professional! It's good to know that we can do it ourselves if need be.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom