PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

Here’s a picture I just took
[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
 
[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
I circled the 2 spots that have always seemed to be a bit swollen, from day 1.

The smaller circle is The Spot where the “hunk of wood” is.

The larger circle is a spot that’s always been there since surgery but never bothered me. I was surprised last night that it seemed bigger than what has been usual since surgery.
 
It looks like to me you are more swollen on the medial side. I can see it on the lower lateral but the upper looks close to the other knee.
 
Hi, Jockette,
I am sensitive to some adhesives and not to others. My PT used one kind of tape the first time (no problem; kept it on for 4 days); and a different kind/color the second and third times. The second time, with the different kind of tape, I took it off the day after she applied it, due to itchiness; and the third time, I took it off during a massage right after therapy--it was so bothersome. For me this is consistent with how my sensitivity builds up with certain substances. So....what's my point for you? Well, you are likely to continue taping because it is helping you. Monitor whether or not the itchiness develops again, and whether or not you get increased redness around or under the tape. If you get itchy again, especially if the itching increases or the time of wearing decreases due to the itching, then you may want to try a different brand of tape. Sensitivity can develop over time.
 
It looks like to me you are more swollen on the medial side. I can see it on the lower lateral but the upper looks close to the other knee.
It must be the angle of the picture. I don’t have any discomfort on the medial side. It’s always been on the lateral side. Since last night both spots have been a bit swollen.
 
My skin is still upset from where the tape was, especially on the medial side. It’s itchy, but not to the point that it’s driving me crazy, and this morning there is a little swelling where the tape was on the medial side, it doesn’t look blistering but more like a couple of bubbles of swelling. Can I put something on it to settle it down? If so, what? I haven’t put anything on it yet because I was afraid of making it worse and I never thought it would still be bothering me at this point.

I took the tape off Tuesday morning, 3 days ago, and it didn’t start to bother me until Wednesday night.

My knee is more swollen than usual (there’s always been a little) on the lateral side. Could the tape have caused this increase? This swelling is different from what’s happening on the medial side.
 
I have those same 2 circled areas. The larger, top - I seemed to have swelled more there early on (and still do) due to an event - one day in PT, they had be try a bridge (a no no, I know now lol), and I heard or felt a velcro ripping area... I swore I swelled there from that day on. My OS explained this spot to me: He said, there is no muscle or tendon right there covering that spot up so the fluid tends to pop up there. Made sense to me. The bottom left is where I still have pain standing and walking.
I don't know what to tell you about the itchiness from the tape. I would put some hydrocortisone cream on if I had itchy skin.
 
Interesting. That upper circle, like I said, has always been there since surgery, I figure its the closest place near where my implant is, which is just on the femur. In my X-ray it’s higher up than I thought it would be, so that swelling area made sense to me. Since my walk in Target Wednesday it’s more swollen than usual, as is The Spot.
 
The bottom left is where I still have pain standing and walking.
This is where my hunk of wood feeling is. Maybe it’s the same as the pain you feel but we perceive it differently? And your surgeon didn’t find anything to be concerned about. So should we assume that for some of us this is par for the course? And you had a total and I had a partial, yet we have the same spot. Which tells me it’s not my implant since ours are different.

Should I just take my own advice and be patient and wait it out?

But then I do have that issue with leaning forward. That scares me. Like you’ve said at times, this just can’t be normal.

Once the weather warms up, I can walk more systematically, like KarriB did. Hopefully that will do me a world of good. Right now my knee is too unhappy with pants and cold weather.
 
Your bottom left area of swelling and pain is where both my knees swelled the most after replacement. I think it's because one of the knee bursae gets inflamed:
Pes Anserine and MPFL pain
 
Thanks, Celle. That explains why I have an issue with certain movements in the upper medial thigh/groin area!
 
@Celle Jockette and I were talking about the lower left (lateral side) pain too. My OS has always said it's where the IT band attaches and there is usually some scar tissue there as well. What are your thoughts/experience with this part?
By the way Jockette, today I was thinking of your wood description at The Spot and I can see how you could use that description. I've never really had a word to describe it as, except, funky.
 
@jaschembra Hunk of wood is what comes to mind. Today, after spending time in my sewing room= up and down from the chair at my machine, turning here and there in my tiny room, leaning forward, etc. Today I described it as my implant had slid over to The Spot. It’s frustrating to sew when that’s how my knee feels shortly after starting. :blackcloud:
Hopefully in time it will go away.
 
I don't have much experience with it, I just know that I was sore and swollen in that place after replacements on both knees. The pain and swelling went away slowly.
 
The pain and swelling went away slowly.
I may not do it patiently but I am willing to wait a while and hope for the best.

At my appointment next week I will get all my information in case I need it but I’m not ready to seek a second opinion just yet, unless my surgeon says there actually is a problem. I have the name of a second opinion so I am prepared. I just hope I don’t need it.
 
@Josephine My one year check up is this Tuesday. Since taping my knee did seem to help, do you think the surgeon might suggest a brace if he thinks it is a patella issue? If he does, what is your opinion?

I did find a tape on Amazon that was for people with sensitive skin and the reviews were good so I will probably order it after my appointment. I will not leave it on so long next time and I won’t even put any tape on until my skin looks normal again. I still have some visible irritation but it is much better today.
 
Last edited:
I just looked at some knee braces on Amazon and they’re not as bad as I thought. I was picturing something similar to the jas brace contraption that I’ve seen on here, which I’ve also read on here that the jas brace is often not necessary.

I would like to post the link but I don’t know how to edit it so that it’s not a link selling something, like was done for me when I posted the link to the tape I bought.

The only reason I might consider the knee brace for my patella is that it would not adhere to my skin like the tape did. But only if the advisors here feel it would help.
 
Since taping my knee did seem to help, do you think the surgeon might suggest a brace if he thinks it is a patella issue? If he does, what is your opinion?
Why would you have a brace if the taping is working? They are like chalk and cheese anyway.
 
I just wanted to be prepared in case he does suggest a brace, and whether or not I should do it if he does.

The reason I am considering a brace is to do the job the tape did without having adhesive irritating my skin.

I will try the tape for sensitive skin and not leave it on so long.

Thanks!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom