PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

Sorry about the late reply....I use SWISSE brand that I am able to buy at the supermarket -
the tablets are Magnesium 150mg (from Magnesium citrate 927.64mg). I hope this is helpful...

Meg x
 
Thanks, I will see what I find. It’s on my shopping list!
 
I have to vent! :banghead:

I talk too much. It’s a fact.

Anyway, this morning I went to a “meet and greet the new neighbors” in the 55+ community I live in. I got talking to a woman I’d met before and another woman came and I was introduced. The first one was talking about an eye surgery she is having next week so I mentioned the major vision change I had, suddenly, the day after my knee surgery.

Stupid me went on to say that so far I’ve only had negative side effects from my knee surgery after 10 months. The second woman pipes up with “are you doing your exercises?”

My blood pressure began to rise. Stupid me answered no. Before I could continue she tells me she has a friend (and I’m thinking, here we go) who is 10 years younger, didn’t do her exercises because it hurt and is now still using a walker.... This woman didn’t say that she herself has ever had a knee replacement or how long ago her friend had the surgery. (I would love to meet this friend and help her!)

I replied to her that her friend had other issues that were not addressed and that long term exercises were not required because people in other countries don’t do all the exercises that Americans do and they have good outcomes and our knees are not any different from theirs.

I did add that early on I did everything I was told to do and it appeased her.

Thankfully we got interrupted again and that was the end of the conversation.

When will I learn to just say yes, I’m doing my exercises. :doh:
 
Last edited:
I know that what we do in our daily activities is exercising the knee, but when people ask that question I know they are referring to the sets/reps kind and I answer too quickly because I’m not doing sets/reps and it makes me mad that that is the first thing they ask.
:skep:

I should write a pamphlet and just hand it to them without saying anything. :whistle:
 
Before I could continue she tells me she has a friend (and I’m thinking, here we go) who is 10 years younger, didn’t do her exercises because it hurt and is now still using a walker....

So the rest of yesterday and this morning I kept thinking about this poor friend who had a bad experience with her TKR.

After a lot of thought and some prayer I called the lady I met yesterday. (She lives in my community and we have a directory) I asked if I could have her friend’s phone number so I could tell her about the support group I found (Bonesmart) and that I just felt so bad for her friend.

We had a very positive conversation. It turns out her friend had her TKR 10 years ago and is in her 80s now. I agreed she probably wouldn’t benefit much from my information and the woman I was talking to said she didn’t think her friend would do anything with the information anyway. But she thanked me more than once for my kindness in wanting to help her.

But anyway, we had a good talk about the difficulties of TKR recovery and different approaches and different PTs approaches and exercises that are not good, etc. She was surprised at some things I said and seemed to agree with what I said. I also said her friend must have other issues that have contributed to her constant need for a walker.

The friend is as active as she can be and is adjusted to where she is physically and has a companion to help her. All seems to be well enough on that front.

The woman I was talking to goes to an exercise class at our local senior center and she agreed that not all the exercises there are good for seniors and she has warned people not to do some of them.

So, I think I made a new friend in my community and was able to calmly discuss my thoughts about recovery and hopefully converted one person from the “she didn’t do her exercises and had a bad outcome” thought! :yes!:
 
What a kind person you are to go out of your way to try and help someone in need! And you didn't even know her! Each person that learns the BS way can be a help to come one else, if not their own selves.
 
It just breaks my heart, as well as really angers me, (quite the contrast, huh?) what TKR patients go through in recovery with others who don’t understand because they don’t know any better. Like the woman I spoke with yesterday, I realize now that she was trying to help me avoid what her friend went through “by not doing her exercises “ and she thought she was giving me good advice. She seemed very receptive to what I told her today.

We need to get the word out!!!

I thought if her friend was just months out of surgery that she might like to talk to someone going through the same thing. I thought she was much younger, too. I must have misunderstood the woman I spoke with yesterday.

But she seems to be as ok as she can be, considering.
 
@KM1972 My surgeon was not up front about any of this! This recovery was a shock and it wasn’t until I found Bonesmart at about 4 weeks that I learned recovery takes an average of a year! :yikes:

I’m sorry to say I struggled for a while with anger.

The PA at the office told me I’d spend one night in the hospital, which I did, use a walker for 2 weeks, which I did, and then a cane for 4 weeks. Well I used the cane for several months but that’s fine. She then said I’d have a couple of months of therapy, so I figured if I was done with therapy I must be done with recovery. I was released from PT just before the 8 week mark.

By then I knew I was in for the long haul.

At this point, 11 months, I have more almost constant discomfort (not actual pain) and limitations due to the general recovery of the surgery than I ever had before surgery with the arthritis. I was not bone on bone. I feel now that I rushed into surgery too early because my knee hurt. And it did hurt a lot. But only when I sat down, got up, or did stairs. But nothing like after.

I can’t relate to those who say the surgical pain is better than the arthritis pain they had before surgery.

And, because I did the surgery too early I only needed a partial. I thought by catching my arthritis early the partial was all I would need. I have since learned partials are not as great as they are promoted to be and there’s a good chance I will have to have a total in the future and go through this recovery again. So, I feel like all this suffering has been a waste of time, if I have to do it again.

I’m actually in a better frame of mind at this point, but I still have down days. I can’t relate to those who are pain free at any point, let alone at less than 11 months. I know I still have a ways to go.
I am trusting time to finish healing my knee so that it will feel worth it.
 
Hi, Jockette, I've been following you but haven't been actively posting much for a while. You mentioned being sorry about struggling with anger, and it suddenly occurred to me that maybe you've been working through the stages of grief? Maybe grief at the death of unrealistic expectations fostered by others? Or grief at the loss of dreams of being "whole" (whatever that means to you) again? Whatever it is, your being willing to share your thoughts and feelings is admirable. I personally believe that although information is desirable, what many of us get more than anything from Bonesmart is a sense of connection and of being heard. Honesty with where we are at any given moment on this journey helps others cope--whether it's someone biting the bullet and discussing--ahem!--delicate bathroom issues, or people like you showing how you are gaining strength and power from feeling your anger and applying it to your situation. Have a great day, my friend. I am also "trusting time to finish healing (our) knee(s) so it will feel worth it."
 
Jockette, *ahem*....are you doing your exercises? LOL! Just kidding, of course! You've really been through the wringer with that darn PKR, haven't you? I hope it does improve quickly, (like today) but if not, bear in mind that some of just heal more slowly than others. None of us want to hear that, but....it's the truth. Hang in there, Spring is coming!:wave:
 
Too funny, @Pheebs52 !! :rotfl:

Yes, I am hanging in there. I am not at all ready to repeat this surgery any time soon, so I will need absolute proof that there is a problem needing to be fixed, (like a loose implant)

I am fed up with this drama queen knee that doesn’t like pants or cold weather. I can’t wait for spring and warmer temperatures.

I still believe/hope that time is on my side. Some people take more than a year and even more than that.

We’ll see what the X-ray shows next month but I expect it will be fine. If so I won’t pursue anything further.

I am trying to take all my own advice! :heehee:
 
@Josephine I read on another thread you recommended gabapenten for nerve issues, so I’m sure you must think highly of it. Is is good for a long time frame, or just short?

My knee goes crazy literally the second I put pants on. It doesn’t burn, but feels like someone jammed a hunk of wood into the outside of the knee. Back in December I put a pair of knee high stockings on and immediately it felt like sharp spikes being driven into the knee. And they didn’t even actually touch the knee. They were a new pair and a little more snug than my old ones. I took them right off but it took about 15 minutes for my knee to settle down.

Does this sound like a nerve issue that gabapenten would help?

I do have nerve damage of some sort in the foot of my non operated leg also, but no one knows what to do for it. Several years ago I was on a low dose of gabapenten but it didn’t help. I chose to stop taking it rather than increase the dosage because the side effects scared me.

Should I ask my surgeon for it at my check up next month?
 
You know, @Jockette, that gabapentin just might be worth a try. Why don't you call your doctor tomorrow and ask for a prescription? That way you'll know if it works or doesn't work before you go see him next month.

I'm not painfree either and probably won't ever be. I'm disappointed but am still hopeful it'll get better. I pray yours does, too!
 
@sistersinhim
He hasn’t seen me since October. I would think he’d want to see me first. Might be with a call though.

I’ve been debating about the gabapenten for a while but held off as I really don’t like to take prescriptions unless I have to. But maybe it’s time to put the what if’s aside and bite the bullet and try something that might help, and probably not have any reactions to it.
 
Hi
I am so sorry for the problems you are having with your partial. I really thought that I was going to have a partial, as the pain was more one sided, but I was surprised to say they said a full was required.

It makes me very sad for you that you are still having discomfort.

I take 300mg gabapentin three times a day. I take these for my back and the sciatica I have had for yrs. It may actually be helping the funny zinging I occasionally get in the knee.

I must admit gabapentin can make me drowsy. So when I am at work, I don't take the first one until I arrive at 8am. I don't take the next one until I get home at 4. The last one I take as late as I can. The last one does help me sleep. I haven't had any other side affects other than the drowsiness, but to be honest I have taken them for so long I don't actually notice I am drowsy! Not sure if others notice I am a bit zoned out though.....

One thing I will say is if you do start to take them, don't suddenly stop them, as I did once. I had massive hot flushes that were worse than my normal ones. It took me a while to realise it was the withdrawal from the meds and I had come off them too quickly.

I wish you loads of luck and thank you for all your advise.

X
 
I'm not painfree either and probably won't ever be. I'm disappointed but am still hopeful it'll get better. I pray yours does, too!

That’s a shame you don’t think you will ever be pain free. But I hope where you are, and with continued improvement, is much better than where you were.

My disappointment is in that at 11 months I don’t have one improvement over where I was before surgery.

This recovery has opened my eyes to a part of life I had no idea existed. I had no idea people recovering from knee replacement went through so much inner turmoil mostly because of what other people say to them and surgeons pushing therapy and PTs who are often full of misinformation. I am appalled at this whole thing. It just seems so wrong.

Knee replacement recipients are recovering from a very trauma inducing surgery, because they were in so much pain before the surgery. Then they are treated poorly and blamed for what is not in their control. It is so sad.
 
Last edited:
@Suzette Thank you for sharing your experience with gabapentin. My friend’s sister has taken it for a long time for issues with diabetes and I’m not aware of her having any problems.

I’m just a scaredy-cat sometimes. Some of the things I’ve done medically just triggered a worse issue than what I started with.

This resulting knee surgery is one of them. Back in 2009 I was having major back pain. It was thought at one time it was a sacroiliac joint problem and the chiropractor I was seeing at the time told me to ride a bike as that was the best exercise for it. I borrowed an old exercise bike from a friend and couldn’t get a smooth rotation so I stupidly kept tightening the tension so the pedals would go around smoothly. Within minutes I felt a bad pain in my left knee and I’ve had problems with it ever since. That was 2010. It got so bad that I had the partial done. Who knows if I wouldn’t have needed replacement if I hadn’t hurt myself like that.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom