PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

I had completely slanted knee caps due to OA/bone on bone so I have a patellar button. The patellar issue I had back in Sept. (but I know it was going on for months - basically since shortly after my TKR in Jan. 2017) - OS diagnosed patellar tendinitis. I would have sworn it was that also but when I went to PT she thought it may have been scar tissue because she said I was highly sensitive around the area and that it shouldn't have been.

She proceeded to do some pretty painful massaging of my lower scar (just below the kneecap) and after about 2 visits, this issue was already getting better, nearly gone. I had to do it at home too. I still do it every other day or so but I never have the burning/stinging that I was getting. I think she called it cross friction massage or something like that. She also rubbed the area you circled (that's my sore spot too) and that was not the most comfortable but it made my sensitivity go away.

You asked what stretch I'm doing for my IT band... one, I can lean against the wall, but too hard to describe here. The other, I lay down and bring my straight leg directly above me and bring it over to the right until I feel the stretch from my hip to my knee (I use a belt). I'm sure you can google it to see it.

I was googling tape last night after reading your posts :)
 
You asked what stretch I'm doing for my IT band... one, I can lean against the wall, but too hard to describe here. The other, I lay down and bring my straight leg directly above me and bring it over to the right until I feel the stretch from my hip to my knee (I use a belt). I'm sure you can google it to see it.
Have you ladies never seen our Forum Library? We have all that in there already!
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments
 
OS diagnosed patellar tendinitis. I would have sworn it was that also but when I went to PT she thought it may have been scar tissue
Don’t PTs think just about everything is scar tissue?

but I never have the burning/stinging that I was getting
I have never had a burning, stinging sensation. My sensation is the feeling of a hunk of wood being shoved into that circled spot.

Have you ladies never seen our Forum Library? We have all that in there already!
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments
I have seen that article and right after I posted to @jaschembra I remembered seeing it so I looked it up again. Even though I don’t have an issue the whole length of that IT band do you think that stretch would help my one spot?
 
@Josephine ha! yes, I have seen, read, etc. and totally forgot about it. :)

Jockette, I didn't have the burning/stinging in that area, only directly below the knee cap. I can't describe what I get in your circled area, but it just doesn't feel good. My knee-twin talks about the same area and I'm hoping it's just one of those, "last to feel normal areas". :)
 
My knee-twin talks about the same area and I'm hoping it's just one of those, "last to feel normal areas".
Oh I hope so!!! :prayer:

The tape helped a lot, that area felt really good this morning when I got up.

Then I got ready to take a walk this afternoon and put on a pair of capris that had a tighter leg style. Immediately my knee freaked out, especially that spot. I couldn’t get the capris off fast enough. Usually when that happens the knee settles down in a short time. I put shorts on and went out for a walk and only lasted as far as the first corner before I turned around and cane home. 4 minutes! It was too cold and windy for the shorts I had on and my knee hadn’t settled down.

About an hour later I took the tape off, the knee was still upset and I felt it wouldn’t settle down with the tape touching it.

My kneecap area doesn’t feel good without the tape.

I will retape it tomorrow.
 
Oh Jockette, I am so sorry you have a bad experience. I was really hoping the taping was solving your problem. Man, what a bummer! I pray it settles down tonight and your taping will be good again tomorrow.
 
I wore looser capris yesterday with the tape on and did fine. I was encouraged. The ones today were tighter and the denim was stiffer. I bought them months ago before this “touching the knee thing” started.

I’m tired of the knee. I don’t even want to go to this one year appointment. I think it’s going to be like others who came away basically with no answers. I really think my knee just needs tons more TIME.

I’ve got that weird nerve issue in my foot and I’m thinking the knee is just doing the same thing.

A couple of weeks ago a friend asked me how my knee was. She’s had many knee surgeries and is getting ready to schedule her replacements. I just shrugged and said it was ok. She sympathetically said, it’s attached and you can walk, and I agreed and we laughed.
 
That's the way I look at it, we aren't in a a wheel chair! I've always said that through the years.
 
My knee is still very upset. That “hunk of wood” is still there. Just because of a pair of pants at about 3:00 this afternoon . (capris) Seriously, it was good before I put them on, then BAM.

As long as I sit in my spot on the couch with my feet up on the ottoman I don’t feel it, but as soon as I get up I do.

I need some chocolate!!! :bawl:
 
Hi..sorry about you hunk of wood and weird knee feelings.

I was interested to see the ITB attachment area as I too have a stingy funny weird feeling in that exact area. I can put my finger on it and feel the area which matches yours. So maybe I too need to stretch it and read the document Josephine mentioned.

I do hope you get answers at your appt.

X
 
I can’t imagine putting up with the feeling you describe. Just do the one year appointment and decide whether you have to write off that doctor. A second opinion, or a few of them, might get to the bottom of your problem. Shorts just don’t cut it in every season!
 
Shorts just don’t cut it in every season!
Definitely not today! Is it as windy at your house as it is at mine?

My husband is very cold all the time so our thermostat is set at 74 this winter, which is a blessing for me, I am very comfortable in the house in shorts. Not so outside though.

That spot has been bothering me since I put those other capris on the other day. It hasn’t settled down much. I just taped it again a couple of hours ago but the tape isn’t helping as much as last time. I think because my knee was still unhappy.
Such a drama queen. :blackcloud:

Sometimes I just want to crawl away somewhere. But I can’t, in more ways than one !! :rotfl:

I’m trying to do what @bertschb said recently, something like Forget about the knee, live your life and stop worrying!

And @Suzette, it was nice to hear from you, too. Has that spot always felt bad for you? It’s beem a constant thing for me since day one. There were times when I would move my leg a certain way and I could feel the swelling pop into that spot. It looks swollen to me but when I look at the unoperated knee it has a similar looking spot. :shrug:
 
Is it as windy at your house as it is at mine?

Probably. Trees and power down all over the region. I went skating across a snowy parking lot because of strong wind! Would not advise anyone still needing a cane to venture out tonight.

Try taping your knee again tomorrow. Maybe it will have settled down enough by then to respond better.
 
@SusieShoes We’ve had flurries since this afternoon but they’ve melted when they hit the ground. The wind sounds wicked though! :yikes:
 
It was very windy here last night and we had a dusting of snow. The wind has died down a little but it is freezing cold.

@Jockette I feel so badly for you. I hope you get some relief soon.

I tried the TENS machine today for my IT Band issue. I will need to try it several times to see if it makes a difference.
 
@4quilts Thank you for your sympathy!

I tried a TENS thingy years ago for my back. I had never heard of one before. It didn’t help for my issue.

Knowing a little bit more now than I did then, I realize it was not the right unit for me. It was for low back pain, which I had, but it was built into a wrap around wide belt type thing (contraption? ). My pain was so low, about down by my tailbone. This belt was designed to wear around the waist. Needless to say it was difficult to get it to fit where I needed it. I actually had a sales rep in my doctor’s office “fitting” it to me. I must have looked really gullible to her. I bought it (I think insurance paid a portion) But really, it was not the right model for me. I now know there are some with just little sticky things you put where you need then. That would have been a better option for me. :doh:

What is yours like?
 
The PT is allowing me to use her machine to determine if it helps before I buy one. It has sticky pads. The controller is very small and you charge it like you do your phone. You select what area of your body you are using it for, it has a timer and adjustments for the strength of the pulse. If I could get my muscles to quit hurting, my knee itself feels good. The IT band and quads are giving me such grief.
 
Hi @Jockette ..that ITB bit on my knee aches but doesnt seem to swell. I did mention it to surgeon and he thought it may be 'scar' tissue..but I now think it's the same as yours. It's like a stingy ache and gets worse the more walking I do. If I massage that area I can reproduce the stinging achy feeling. Think I need to read Josephines link.

X
 
@Suzette I was given Gabapentin when I was discharged (30 day supply). I was not told to not stop taking it cold turkey. I didn’t notice any adverse effects. Perhaps I was distracted with everything else going on. I only noticed more difficulty sleeping. I asked for a refill but it was denied. Yesterday when I went for my 6 week check up I told my OS about sleep issues and he ordered another 30 day refill. I take one pill (300 mg) at bedtime. I also took Melatonin (10 mg) and I had the best night sleep I’ve had in a while. I woke up almost at 7am. My husband said me snoring was music to his ears.

My question is, how can I avoid stopping taking the Gabapentin suddenly? I also read that on the pamphlet that was sent over with the prescription.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom