My Bilateral TKR - Blessing or Nightmare??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do not apologize---no need to---as for the horror stories---I was not in pain after my surgery---my nurses made sure to talk to me and to let them know when and if I was in pain. I had a "pain pump" and they went to great lengths to ensure that I was not in pain.

To be honest---there was discomfort---and any pain that I did feel was brought on by myself!

Do not listen to the horror stories that people tell---some folks are fascinated by frightening others with horror stories.

There is going to be some pain and discomfort---honestly, you cannot make an incision and saw off two bones, implant new deceives, etc---without some---but the recovery can be dealt with very nicely with the pain meds---and do not be a "hero"---take those pain meds on the clock and ice and elevate---

YOU WILL BE FINE---and we will be here for you!
 
Lunula and Celle,
Thanks . I wish I had one good leg to hold out with but I don't. I did discuss one at a time with my OS. He said the random collapsing I get in both legs ruled that out. I guess I'm just worried. Sorry I was ranting. I do appreciate your support.
Ah, the random collapsing in both does sound like a case for doing both. You don't want your "good" leg going out on you, resulting in a fall, while you're healing.
BTW, I found my new knees amazingly stable from day 1.
 
Well I got my surgery date. March 4 for the first knee and March 9 for the second. The OS explained that he wanted to monitor my health between the two surgeries. Even though I have no medical conditions. He said blood clots, pulmonary and heart problems were a concern. Also, any possible blood loss during surgery. Basically he seemed to be conservative in his approach to everything. He will give me long term (5 days) nova-cane in the knee joint as well as a nerve block that will last until the second surgery I HOPE. additionally, a self dispensing pain pump and oral pain medication. If all goes well, 3 days after the second knee I will be transferred to a rehab facility.
 
That all sounds good, Jeff.

5 days apart for the knee replacements will work well - it will be almost the same as having bilaterals. You'll get the benefits of both knees being fixed and only one recovery period.
 
Awesome Jeff, you will do great brother~!!! I am 1 month today - feeling pretty good , just has PT icing as I type~! Glad, you have a date = )
much respect,
-chris
 
March will be here in no time plus you'll have the benefit of being able to go outside during your recovery. The five days between surgeries was what they mentioned to me as my option for the same reasons you had listed. Then my OS asked me if I'd like to do them all at once. I think you'll find a world of difference like the rest of us who have had doubles. Cheers, Harry.
 
Thanks Chris and Harry, Fellow snow sufferers!
Did you guys or maybe Vinnie, have what my OS described as nova cane in the knee that lasts 5 days? Did it last that long? and the nerve block. How long did that last? He said he would make sure I was as comfortable as possible. I'm just curious. I'm also in for a reunion when Maggie, Vinnie, Chris and anyone else are in the area.
 
Jeff .....I must confess to never hearing of 5 day novocaine as novocaine is usually a short term anesthetic like what a dentist would use....bupivacaine is similar and lasts longer but I am not aware of anything that would last that long...I will find out what my OS used as he injected me all around the knee at closing as he is up to date on everything..just called his office and he is overseas until next week....For my bilateral I had a spinal to numb me from the waist down and was administered propophol(sometimes referred to as milk of amnesia for its color and effect). I knew nothing and felt nothing until they woke me up wheeling me to recovery....that combination according to studies results in a more rapid recovery from surgery and less blood loss than General Anesthesia and far fewer side effects like nausea and constipation....some OS use an epidural which is a larger needle and can be taped to the patient and administered for a longer period than a spinal...my whole procedure took 3 hours from the time they numbed my lower body until the time I woke up.....between the spinal which can last for 16-20 hours and whatever he injected around the knee I was ok and I started the morphine administration(pca)before anything wore off..that was all on the Friday of surgery and off the morphine by Sunday and left hospital on Monday with an over the counter Panadol which I found was not needed as ICE did the trick...for whatever thankful reason I did not require any pain medication after discharge although the first day after surgery was painful but nothing too bad after that.... every OS has a slightly different protocol.....if you google spinal/propophol knee replacement you will see the statistics I am referring to..probably on bonesmart too...

Vinny
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had a "pain ball" that was supposed to last UP TO four days. I made a big mistake the first knee and thougth I did not need oral pain meds when the nurses came in---when the pain ball wore off during day two!!! I was in agony. Second knee, i started taking the oral meds the first day---and frankly, I really never had any pain at all in hosptal everything was controlled.

I think you should find that nurse who told you that you would have the worst pain of your life and ask her what kind of training she has had!!!! Obviously she does not know about pain meds in the 21 century. Yikes, just pray you never see her face in the hospital---she must be one of those who deny pain meds and think you have to tough it out!!!!
 
Kelly,
I hope she retires soon! What your saying is in line with what my OS said that I will have the morphine as well as the numbing agent in the wound and oral pain medication. I forgot to ask if the nerve block was just during the surgery and how long it lasted but Vinnie answered that question.
 
Hi Jeff, My OS told me he puts a cocktail as he called it of pain meds inside the knees that helps relieve pain for the first two days or so. While in pre-op I discussed nerve blockers and Morphine pump with my anesthesiologist. He actually talked about my surgeons cocktail and he said the necessity of the blocker or pump wasn't needed. I had a standard morphine drip for the first 24 hrs then onto 2 10mg slow release oxy every 12 hrs for the first two weeks and then 2 5mg fast acting every 4 hours for Three weeks. I went to my GP for the fast acting after the three weeks as the night time pain was to much and without it I was not doing the exercises as it hurt to much. Everyone has a different experience, some little or no pain meds needed others have much more pain.

I can tell you this when the stuff he packed into the knees wore off I was glad for the pain meds.
 
I have to agree with rugypro that I also did not have the femoral nerve block---I did not need it with the pain meds in the joint. I don't like them---it is hard to get up with one leg numb and so I requested that i would not have one. It is true that some folks have pain--but alot of the time that is because their pain meds are not adjusted properly.
 
Kelly,
I'm guessing that's why OS said a MD is assigned so the meds can be fine tuned before the second surgery. I should have taken notes during the meeting. Honestly I didn't think he would spend over an hour talking with my wife and I. Now I'm trying to recall the little details.
 
Congrats on your dates!!! That is awesome, and soon you will be on the "other side"---and reclaiming your life!

I had a pain management pump for about the first four days or so---and that was great---then oral pain meds---and the nurses took great pride and care to ensure that I was not in pain!
 
Tim, I'm actually starting to look forward to it. Cant wait to learn the secret hand shake :heehee: I'm looking into Rehab facilities now for after the hospital. The OS said I will be attending a class to learn what to expect and should start checking on rehab. And just in case you don't see Vinnie's site, thanks for all your input.
 
Jeff I just came across a story about the 48 to 96 hour anesthetic injection into the knee area after surgery ..perhaps it is what your OS was referring to....it is a cocktail that includes Bupivicaine and DepoFoam......I believe it is a newer protocol...

Vinny
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom