Guest viewing is limited

My Bilateral TKR - Blessing or Nightmare??

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know you are ready for TKR when you say you are looking forward to it! Of course it's not fun, but so many of us have discovered that your worst fears are not usually realized.
Exactly

Do any of us really want to have this done?

there is a difference----but we know that we need to have it done.

there are fears and concerns, and as has been stated, they really do not materialize.

The ensuing recovery will challenge your patience, but, in the end, you will be amazed at what yo can do and how great you will feel.
 
@jhcompliance, being a year and a half out, I have to say I'm enjoying life again. For too long, I was a limited participant in life. Now I'm doing what I want, whenever I want. My knees are no longer in charge of my life!
 
My knees are no longer in charge of my life!
The irony is this---for so long---for much too long---our lives have revolved around our knees. Once your are recovered, the knees are normal---and normal is plain---it is "vanilla"---it is---"no big deal"!

Suddenly, when the knees do what they are supposed to, we stop thinking about them and start living our lives again---with no concern for the knees.
 
I have stopped thinking of my knees along time ago. My life revolved around my knees---the pain, the restrictions, the pills, the braces---and, for a while, after I recovered, I was fascinated about how great the knees felt!

Now, like I have stated previously, my knees do simply what they are supposed to do. They are normal---and my thoughts are now on what I want to do and what I want to enjoy. I no longer give my knees much thought at all. Isn't that how it is supposed to be?
 
Hi everyone,
Well my visit to the hospital class yesterday was canceled due to more snow here. I was re scheduled to next Tuesday. That's 9 days before the big date. My pre surgery physical is this Friday. I hope all goes well. Now that I'm close, I still feel anxious but I want to get it done. Hoping it doesn't snow for a while I'd hate to get postponed. Hope all is well with you guys!
 
You will love your new knees and be ready to do anything by summer.....

Vinny
 
Thanks Vinny, By the way, someone sent me a YouTube video of the first time Kate sang "Go9d Bless America". did you ever see it?
 
Hmmm, how come your surgeon is going to do yours so close and mine is going to make me wait.
i'm so Jealous. I just want to get this over with :bawl:
At least the left knee is not as bad off as the right. It doesn't hurt like the right, so maybe I have some time.
 
Jeff I am not sure when she first sang it but I saw her sing it in person twice at Flyers games...she blew the roof off of the Spectrum..the Flyers would play videos of her singing it on special occasions and their record was like 63 wins 5 losses when she sang..they had in person about a dozen times...always thought
God Bless America should be the National Anthem...I am old enough to remember her television show and her theme song When the Moon comes over the mountain....good old Kate..from the mountains to the prairies to the ocean white with foam...I feel like crossing checking someone when I hear her....just like Canadian fans did when they heard Roger Doucet sing Oh Canada!
 
Vinnie,
If someone here shows me how, I'll put the link in for you. She was the greatest that's for sure. Back in the 60's there was some movement in Congress (Probably the last time) to make God Bless America the national anthem. You'll enjoy the story with the link. It must have been really special to here her in person.
 
Hi Wberry,
My surgeon really didn't give me a choice. Neither of my knees could support having one done and waiting for the other. You and I are sharing March 9 as a surgery date. Hope we can compare notes during our journey on "the other side." Did you ask why he was waiting 8 weeks?
 
Thanks @jhcompliance Jeff I went and looked up the video..she could really bring it with that song...the Flyers record when it is played is 98-28-4 but until the Stanley Cup final of 1974 it was 36-3. I remember that the Bruins tried to Jinx her by having Phil Esposito and Bobby Orr skate out with Red roses and shook her hand ...the Flyers won 2-0 they had her sing it again when the Red Army team played after beating all six of the original NHL teams...she sang and Bobby Clark delivered a two handed to the back of the Russian star player and it was all over....only 40 years ago..or was it the day before yesterday......

Vinny
 
Vinnie,
See if this works. Its a long post,

"Frank Sinatra considered Kate Smith the best singer of her time, and said that when he and a million other guys first heard her sing "God Bless America" on the radio, they all pretended to have dust in their eyes as they wiped away a tear or two.

Here are the facts... The link at the bottom will take you to a video showing the very first public singing of "GOD BLESS AMERICA." But before you watch it, you should also know the story behind the first public showing of the song.

The time was 1940. America was still in a terrible economic depression. Hitler was taking over Europe and Americans were afraid we'd have to go to war. It was a time of hardship and worry for most Americans. This was the era just before TV, when radio shows were HUGE, and American families sat around their radios in the evenings, listening to their
favorite entertainers, and no entertainer of that era was bigger than Kate Smith.

Kate was also large; plus size, as we now say, and the popular phrase still used today is in deference to her, "It ain't over till the fat lady sings." Kate Smith might not have made it big in the age of TV, but with her voice coming over the radio, she was the biggest star of her time.

Kate was also patriotic. It hurt her to see Americans so depressed and afraid of what the next day would bring. She had hope for America, and faith in her fellow Americans. She wanted to do something to cheer them up, so she went to the famous American song-writer, Irving Berlin (who also wrote "White Christmas") and asked him to write a song that would make Americans feel good again about their country. When she described what she was looking for, he said he had just the song for her.

He went to his files and found a song that he had written, but never published, 22 years before - way back in 1917. He gave it to her and she worked on it with her studio orchestra. She and Irving Berlin were not sure how the song would be received by the public, but both agreed they would not take any profits from God Bless America. Any profits would go to the Boy Scouts of America. Over the years, the Boy Scouts have received millions of dollars in royalties from this song.

This video starts out with Kate Smith coming into the radio studio with the orchestra and an audience. She introduces the new song for the very first time, and starts singing. After the first couple verses, with her voice in the background still singing, scenes are shown from the 1940 movie, "You're In The Army Now." At the 4:20 mark of the video you see a young actor in the movie, sitting in an office, reading a paper; it's Ronald Reagan.

To this day, God Bless America stirs our patriotic feelings and pride in our country. Back in 1940, when Kate Smith went looking for a song to raise the spirits of her fellow Americans, I doubt whether she realized just how successful the results would be for her fellow Americans during those years of hardship and worry.....
And for many generations of Americans to follow.

Many people don't know there's a lead in to the song since it usually starts with "God Bless America ....." So here's the entire song as originally sung.....
Let us pray He still does, and it's still not too late.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TnQDW-NMaRs?rel=0
 
Thanks Jeff...Kate Smith God Bless America and Vera Lynn We'll Meet Again..great songs great singers...different world..

Vinny
 
@jhcompliance Well if he lets me do it that soon. He spent 15 minutes working through all the risk factors and reasons he had. So it may be longer than 8 weeks. My right is rally bad, the left still responds to injections well and is getting there but not as badly as the right.
 
Well WB,
As I learned from everyone on this thread, learn as much as you can about your individual case and write down questions to ask your surgeon. I questioned the 5 day wait for my knees. I learned there is documented proof of a 20% reduction in heart, lung and other complications when you do a staged BLTKR as opposed to both in the same surgery. My surgeon sat with my wife and I for over an hour explaining his process of pain management, observing how I respond to the first surgery and things like that. Ironically, these are the same things the people on this thread discussed with me. Ask questions!
 
Funny that my OS talked me into a Bilateral....one and done,one anesthesia,one hospital trip and one recovery...I questioned the risks and he said they are not much different for someone in good health....all have different preferences and protocols...the end results are the same though so we all end up in the right place.......
 
Hi all,
I'm 6 days out from the first replacement. I'm trying to keep my self busy and not think about it. I'm slightly anxious but looking forward to getting past the surgery. I went to the class held by the hospital yesterday. Very encouraging. I made the right choice with this surgeon and the hospital here on Long Island. They were thorough, friendly and patient while answering everyone's questions. Ironically, most of the answers were the same as I've been reading here. Each presenter from all the hospital departments that work with the orthopedic unit was knowledgeable and explained how each person in the class's surgeon liked to have his or her patients cared for. My wife and I left feeling like they really care about their work and want everyone to have the best possible results while staying with them. also, do I convert this thread to a post operation thread or create a new one?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom