My Bilateral TKR - Blessing or Nightmare??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, any idea on how long it lasts? And unfortunately, I kind of liked the Jets, lost interest in baseball after the Dodgers moved (10 year old fanatic fan) don't follow basketball. I think all the sports except hockey are too over paid. If we ever get together for a reunion I'll tell you some inside stories about the Mets. I was the security manager and money room security manager for a couple of years.
 
Says 24 to 96 hours and can probably be extended but that should be ok for you as you will most likely go home or to rehab on day 3 or 4.. We have no rehab here so I went home..I had a spinal block which last about 8 hours and the injections into the knee lasted about16..with all my issues with narcotics I did use the morphine PCA the first 2 nights..couple of pills the third day and then home and no pain meds...they prescribed Panadol which is over the counter as my OS weans people quick but will let people go longer if they feel they need them...you will be fine...ICE is great so make sure you have a couple of good wraps like the Dura Kold Arthritis wrap...with a bilateral they will not get you out of bed same day and will wait until the next day....My OS drills you that you cannot hurt the implant unless you break the bone so just make sure you are steady and supervised and then go...I was operated on Friday...used the walker for 10 minutes Saturday...and Sunday used crutches but lifted them off the ground and walked around the ward...they told me I could go home if I could walk up 4 stairs and down so I did it with crutches and left on Monday....I thought Hospitals had to take you out in a wheel chair but there was no one around so we just walked out...You will be fine Jeff.....
 
good information, thanks
[Bonesmart.org] My Bilateral TKR - Blessing or Nightmare??

I did learn how to cut and paste :snork:
 
Interesting @vinny - I walked out too - the guy with the wheel chair was taking forever so the nurse and I just left :) There is my famous patience again!
 
@TexasTee ...Teresa patience is not one of my virtues either...I was starving so headed out for a greasy burger and that was the beginning of my 15 pound weight gain..

Vinny
 
Well Vinnie I have to confess, I share office space with our IT guy. That's the extent of my knowledge. I should print all the names he calls me for asking the same questions over and over! actually none of which are printable... He showed me how to put my volunteer fire department logo on the profile. We have some fun and manage to get a little work done too....
 
Hi @jhcompliance Jeff I am 1 week and 1day today post the double. My advice based on my experience is:
Read read read...this forum was a godsend. I got all the practical things in place pre op plus read a lot of recovery threads to get a handle on what I could expect. I have to say that by the time k-day came I was relaxed...I can honestly say I did not have any nerves going into the op. In the prep room I was chatting to the anesthesiologist and then my OS. No nerves. Had a general block in each leg = long acting pain relief plus spinal block plus very light GA.
Woke up in the ortho ward hi care room of 4beds hooked up to IV PCA which I consciously used to the max. Can honestly say minimal pain. Day 2was the cross over coming off IV across to pills. Have to say again that I was diligent with buzzing for meds on time and took the max offered. Again no problem.
 
Continued...pressed wrong button...where is the IT guy LOL
Pain has been at worst a 5-6 out of 10 but only occasionally and for minimal time because I jump on it straight away. Mostly I at 0-1 on the pain scale. Yes it hurts when you initially stand up and some rehab is uncomfortable but it is not unbearable. If it hurts just stop.
I can honestly say that I am thrilled with the prospect of my new more active life and to my mind a few weeks of discomfort (at worst) and an enforced position in front of catch up TV movies and books is a very small price to pay.
Remember too that ppl thrive on the negative...the horror stories of mega pain etc...I just would not listen or read any of this. I went into this procedure with my eyes open and have to say that I am loving the view on the other side.
Hope this helps you in some small way. Take care Maggie x
 
My first OS, who did not perfomr my BTKR, also did a ball of morphine in the incisions of my two knee surgeries prior to my BTKR.

He said that studies indicated that, when a patient comes out of surgery and does not feel pain, they are more likely to feel better and have less pain during their recovery.

After my BTKR, I had a spinal for a period of time, as well as a pain-management machine. My nurses, though, as I have written, were very, very diligent in making sure that I was not in pain at all.
 
Very sound advise Maggie and Tim. I started reading everything I could and agree this site is immensely helpful. Just chatting with new friends from around the corner to around the world who share the same pre op worries and then the success stories makes one feel less inhibited.
I went to Lazy Boy (my new nickname) and taking the advise from here, purchased a inexpensive on sale power recliner. Luckily they had one that fit me (6' '5"). As the advise from here recommended, my toes line up with my nose in a comfortable position. I ordered a lap tray that is reported to have long enough legs to allow me to use a lap top computer and not touch my knee area. 2 Dura-Kold knee wraps are next on the list. So like you Maggie, I hope I'll walk in ready to start anew. 27 days and counting.
 
@7 days and you will be reclaiming that life of yours from arthritis! It sounds like you are very close to be totally prepared!

Do not worry about that post-surgical pain---your OS and your nurses will see to it that it is well managed and it will be manageable.
 
Agree with Tim - I was completely comfortable in the hospital and my nurses were totally supportive of keeping it that way! You will NOT regret the electric recliner - I would not be remotely as comfortable as I am now without it
 
Yey. Go the electric recliner. Best investment. Jeff my rec!liner is called Betty after the spunky 84yo lady I bought it from off ebay. You legs will not be in any position to apply pressure to make a chair recline.
Make sure you position you so you can see TV and outside if you have any view. You will also need access to a power point (forhe chair) plus other electrical. I am using a power board so that I can plug in my laptop, phone charger and a lamp. Think of yourself marooned on the chair and work out what you would need so that you don't have to get up and down all the time....I have a small set of drawers next to Betty top = table and drawers for storage ( remotes, headphones, etc).
Have fun playing "marooned" and setting yourself up. cheers, Maggie x
 
I agree with Tim as well, I was the 1% who did feel the post-op pain - which was my doing and was controlled by the Dr's, and ONE awesome Nurse Practitioner~!

Even with knowing what I went through 1 month ago - I would no doubt do it again , I did some laundry today, and was able to stand for some time folding the clothes without the arthritic pain~! .......
 
My beautiful recliner is called The Fortress of Solitude...in it right now icing after a very tough day on the golf course...(collective groan). Cannot go wrong with the Dura-Kold Arthristis wrap...not sure if I got it direct from Dura Kold or Amazon...I also bought the cooler with the wrap attached but found that inconvenient and not as cold and it is in storage...also does not hurt to have an ice bag or two on hand...do as much advanced PT as you can between now and surgery it will pay off ...ICE is the best pain reliever for me......by the time you have your surgery I will be an IT wiz and will keep you amused with witty anecdotes and adventure tales of what life will be like with new knees..

Vinny
 
:snork: great sense of humor Vin, I look forward:rotfl: to watching the Rangers in the Stanly Cup from my recliner!
 
Yes there you go again with the dagger in the chest..ouch:arrow:
 
@jhcompliance, you know you are ready for TKR when you say you are looking forward to it! Of course it's not fun, but so many of us have discovered that your worst fears are not usually realized. There will be pain, but it should be managed well. My doctor did the TKR's six weeks apart and I have no regrets having had them done that way. Whatever works best for you and your surgeon. Good luck to you!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom