THR My Big THR Recovery-Crickethip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @sandiegomom ! You are correct! I feel like I have a big weight lifted off of me. Sometimes, when the hip deteriorates so quickly it makes it unbelievable. Then fretting about the need for it and also worrying about my work just made me so anxious.
Then as time moved closer I think I got a lot of that out of my system and began getting into a very happy, calm mental state. Have makeup my mind to enjoy my time off and appreciate the gift of a good surgical staff and so what I can to make smart decisions in regards to my healing process.
It will be very interesting to see what you decided to do, in regards to the bilateral question. :hi:
 
I remember reading that you could go up and down stairs once a day for the first month then more after that?
 
Hi Cricket! Sounds like you're coming along very nicely! I can totally relate about the showers and a bit of makeup. Although I have to admit, I'm not up for makeup too often unless I'm going out for some reason. I've been having chills/sweats on and off since the surgery as well, mostly at night but sometimes during the day lately and I'm at 4 weeks on Friday. You had asked me earlier and I wanted to let you know that I haven't used the walker at all since I think day 19 or so-I didn't rush it on the advice of my BS friends after feeling a bit "slow/behind". Your'e doing great with the stairs too, I only did the stairs once per day for first two weeks, then increased to twice a day for the 3rd (per OS instructions) now I go up and down as needed but not too often, maybe 3 or 4 times tops-I've even been going up step by step with the assistance of the cane now and then. Down is a bit tougher because it pulls a bit in the thigh/incision area so I'm taking it slow with that. Take care.:ice:
 
@CricketHip Hi Biateral Jim here, You are doing good. Keep up with the meds as you are only 10 days out. Go with the program and heal and rest. You will want to try to speed things up but use patience. I used the walker until my gait was right and then i used the Nordic sticks to keep my stride limp free. Sleep, Fuel, movement. repeat!
 
Whoooot whooooot go girl. Good news all round. How is sleep????

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I wonder what my limit should be for the next week or so?
There really is no limit for stairs. Just do what you can and take them slowly. I had stairs after both THRs. The stairs post RTHR were pretty steep and since the bathroom was upstairs I was up and down several times per day.
 
@CricketHip, I cannot believe it has been 10 days already! You are doing wonderful and you sound so "perky" and upbeat. I am a firm believer in positive thinking, which I truly think is what got me through my surgery with almost no "down" days. You asked if there was any kind of limit to doing stairs... I don't think there is a # attached to it. My opinion is, and it's only my opinion (so you can choose to take it with a rain of salt, lol), if you are comfortable and confident when you are going up and down the stairs, your body will tell you what your limits are. But, it is good exercise for the glutes and thigh muscles. Goodness! Look who I'm telling what is good for muscles....DUH!!!!
BTW...I am such a vain person, I took my makeup bag to the hospital and as soon as I got settled in my room, the eye makeup went on!
Have a great recovery day, sweetie!
 
Thank you @Nana757
I am so afraid of the dreaded overdoing it tendonitis.. I feel good doing the stairs. Will try to be mindful.
 
Hi @Legin Master of Obvious.. lol thanks! Is your wife feeling better today? If she is then that means you are feeling better and she doesn't have to fret as much! You asked earlier about sleep. What's that? hahaha
I sleep in fits and starts,, the problem is the chills and sweats. I am a mess by 2 am. But the best sleep seems to arrive after 3:30 until 7:30 or 8. Not too shabby.
 
Another happy moment that shows me that the surgery is going to be a success and is already better than pre op. We just did our outdoor walk, I focus on standing tall, my hip flexors are a bit shortened from the pre op nonsense and am finding the tall stance is a gentle stretch and resetting good vs. bad habits.
But twice I thought a car was coming and did the body twist to see behind me and I had none of that crunchy broken glass pain upon rotation.
I almost did this :happydance: but then I remembered the BS mantras :no-fin:
 
That s great, Nigel! You are killing me with your meals. Another favorite!! love the -ish.
 
Nana, no I'm not, but that was a good thought. Just the baby aspirin. This has always been my body's way of healing and coping. I chatter and shake like a chihuahua!! How are you today?? When is your massage? I forget when you said.
 
Hi @CricketHip, I'm so glad everything is progressing nicely for you. The stairs do sound a little challenging but I'm sure they will help you progress quickly.

Question for you, my pain Med is tramadol, it has been sufficient but I wonder if you needed more, something stronger, after you got home and were doing more. Because I was numb for so long I didn't stand or walk until this morning.

I'm sitting up dangling my feet off the bed, I haven't had any required sitting. I am getting the last IV antibiotic prophylacticly. Haven't used the toilet yet, high priority since I'm drinking so much.

I feel a sleepiness coming over me ...
 
@Plum Perfect

yes! I don't think Tramadol would have been enough for me initially. They only used it for the "break through pain" that first night. I went home with Norco ( tylenol and hydrocodone/apap) 7.5/325. I can take 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours. so there is a lot of flexibility.
It's been a huge help for me.
 
@CricketHip ..... I think I remember reading once upon a time that when your system goes into "shock", that also brings on extreme chills and "chattering". Hopefully, this too will pass soon and only be a faint memory.
I had my massage yesterday and I have to say, it was the BEST one I have ever had. She paid particular attention to my feet and leg muscles and OMG, was it ever wonderful! While she was working my feet, I began to feel a euphoria come over me. I can only relate that feeling to one other that I have experienced, but won't say what it was....Tehehe... Unfortunately, I won't be going back to that establishment, due to their exorbitantly high fees. I had a gift card for $150 and only have $30 of it left AND I tipped in cash! I'll have to find another place to go...and I will very soon...that doesn't charge an arm and a leg!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom