THR My Big THR Recovery-Crickethip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CricketHip, so happy to hear you are doing so well! I'm dealing with the foot swelling too - Home Health says that's normal and could last a couple months.

Glad to hear you got a solid night's sleep. This surgery takes a lot out of us and sleep is so very healing.

Sounds like you are moving around better and better....keep up the good work! :yay:
 
What a great progress report. It sounds like you are on the right track. Your body will let you know when you can cut back on the pain meds and will also let you know if you need to bump them up occasionally. Sleep and ice is still the order of the day. I have no doubt you can maneuver around your house all by yourself, but, my philosophy is...if you don't have to, don't do it. The burning sensation at the incision site will fade, day by day. And one day you'll wake up and discover it is all gone. I suffered with neck and back pain too (I have a 4"plate and 8 screws in my neck) and amazingly enough, since hip op, my back pain has all but disappeared. My neck only has minor aches...especially when I spend all day on my iPad, which I know is bad for it. I try and prop it up so its eye level. I think the way we have to sleep, in the first few weeks following surgery, and all the pain meds we take help relieve all our other aches and pains. Whatever works..right? Happy coincidence!
 
Wow CricketHip sounds like you are doing just great! :happydance: I know for me (looking back at my journal) days 9-13 were the toughest for me and I could not even consider decreasing meds so I think you're doing great.....in fact, I think I increased them a few days. However, the following week (days 14-21) I made huge progress. I know many use the cane sooner, but I wasn't able to use the cane on a regular basis until around day 19 or so. Take care and I hope you're swelling and aches feel better each day!
 
@Plum Perfect

first of all, you are so uplifting! Your posts and comments always make me feel good, so thank you for that!
So let me answer your questions
What pain medications are you taking-- In the hospital I was on Norco x 2, tramadol for break through pain, and celebrex. Now that Im home I still take 1-2 Norco every 6 hours, an anti inflammatory X 2 daily and that's it. Occasionally I drop to 1/2 Norco and a tylenol tablet but its too soon for that.. none of it gives a bad pain but it's just enough that Im not as mobile and we want mobile.
did you have a nerve block to help with post surgical pain? Yes, I had a spinal block and it was so great. My anesthetist said they wouldn't give me extra after the surgery ( I asked!) because they want us up moving and walking asap. But I remained numb for maybe an hour after? I was able to wiggle my toes after about 30 minutes, but I think the meds and block continue to help for several hours afterwards. My fear was waking up to pain that I couldn't get on top of. None of that.. it was super.
How is your appetite? Are you eating well? Do you have any cravings@Plum Perfect
taking-- In the hospital I was on Norco x 2, tramadol for break through pain, and celebrex. Now that Im home I still take 1-2 Norco every 6 hours, an anti inflammatory X 2 daily and that's it. Occasionally I drop to 1/2 Norco and a tylenol tablet but its too soon for that.. none of it gives a bad pain but it's just enough that Im not as mobile and we want mobile.
did you have a nerve block to help with post surgical pain? Yes, I had a spinal block and it was so great. My anesthetist said they wouldn't give me extra after the surgery ( I asked!) because they want us up moving and walking asap. But I remained numb for maybe an hour after? I was able to wiggle my toes after about 30 minutes, but I think the meds and block continue to help for several hours afterwards. My fear was waking up to pain that I couldn't get on top of. None of that.. it was super.
How is your appetite? Are you eating well? Do you have any cravings
My appetite was a bit off for the first 4 days. I ate well when it was placed in front of me but wouldn't have ate as well on my own, not a big appetite and filled up quickly. I have been craving fresh, good foods.. salads, soups and I was so lucky to have many friends dropping them off. I have had a heavy duty Raison Bran, no sugar added and very heavy on the bran almost every morning. It is tasty and has helped.. if you know what I mean :heehee:
How far are you walking now? That is a tough one to answer, I came home with the PT goal of walking 100 feet 3 X daily. Some days it was easy but some days I couldn't do it, and didn't.
This week I am up to 275 ft X 3 and I think I am doing more that that. We go down our driveway and walk up the street- we haven't measured but it's more than 275 ft and I do it 2 X a day and I figure the walking around the house gets the other one accomplished.
Next week they would like me up to walking a full block! Time will tell. PT is 3 X a day and when I got achey and sore last weekend I did what I could and didn't fret about it.
Tomorrow is your day! You will do so well. Do you know your arrival time yet?
 
Thanks @Nana757 and you are so right! That darn iPad.. :no-fin:
I think I flared mine up in the same manner, Oh and by working with bad body mechanics pre op, but mostly coming home tie=red and laying down with ice and craning my neck to read the iPad and laptop. sigh
 
Thanks @PegGene
I have kept your experience in my mind and I can see how days 9-13 could be difficult. I was in that hyped up notion last Friday that I needed to wean back on meds and lucky for me that the OS office called to check in and strongly encouraged me to stay on the full dose. I worry because I am feeling very good at this point and so afraid I will overdo it. I have such a tiny bathroom that its so tempting to forego the walker and just walk holding onto things but trying to resist doing it too much. I keep a cane in there and that helps, too. But walker is much more supportive. Are you on the cane now? for everything?
 
P.S. the swelling and aches were more over the weekend..it's amazing how a day of rest and ice can help so much!
 
Crickethip, thank you so much for your insightful and informative posts. My surgery is a week from tomorrow. I have been busy trying to get everything in order. At the end of the day, I so look forward to reading about your and the others progress post op. I am really thinking positive on this, and hope I can emulate you and your progress. You seem to be doing so good, and I'm so happy for you. Keep up the good work!:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Cricket, I'm finally in bed, can't sleep though. Reading through your thread and thinking how great you are doing, so happy for you. Keep up the great recovery and your regular reports.
 
The biggest hurdle you have right now is not to over exert. It is so tempting to just forge ahead. Take it from someone who saw the back of a cupboard even when I didn't intend to, and yes the family witnessed my oooooopsie and yes they guffawed.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Mimi#51
Oh my gosh! thank you for your wonderful "review" I remember doing that very same thing, would go to bed and feverishly read other's recovery threads and it was so encouraging. Now I am trying to pay it forward!
Having things in order sure does help. My husband remarks on that everyday.. I had the bedroom well situated and everything has worked so smoothly. He has to run up and down the stairs many times a day to help me but at least my room is well organized and the freezer is full of easy foods and meals.
Your remaining week will whizz by quickly! Are you having decent weather in Texas? That helps too, even if you can't do much other than sit in the shade and enjoy it. :cool:
 
Hello! Day 9?? Cindy, you need to count for me. Yes, Day 9. haha A good day here. The night was the usual of trying to get comfortable and then shivering for a bit and then waking up in a soaking sweat.
the good news is I couldn't recall whether I took my pain meds at 3:30 am.. forgot to write them down and so I decided to wait til 9:30 am to be sure, and the pain wasn't bad at all.
So, then I decided that I needed to stay on schedule with my regular meds of blood pressure and thyroid and anti inflamm.'s so I delayed on the pain meds further. So here it is- 1:40 and I just now took them! I took them so I can do my walking outdoors ( friend is coming to walk me, haha like a dog) and my exercises.
I know that every day can be different but sure am enjoying today.
I take a shower every other day and enjoyed that today was the shower day. I have ben using the Giraffe razor extension and it rocks!
I actually put on a little eye make up today and feel more like myself.
That's it over here in Cricket Land.. Hope everyone is having a good healing day and the pre ops are staying calm.
 
@CricketHip, it sounds like you're doing just wonderful! Reading your recovery thread is so enjoyable. I'm glad you've been able to get some good sleep and are doing things like regular showers and even some makeup. Those little normal perks are the best, aren't they? It helps remind us that this isn't forever, but rather a gateway to a better life. Keep up the great work, friend! You're in my prayers daily. :)
 
Haaa. Our days sound similar, other than I don't have anyone to walk me unless I get my husband too. I've been doing more walking today hoping I can work the swelling out. Oh yes shower days are the best days of the week. I'm doing the same thing a shower every other day. I just want the next week to go by quickly do I can get out to pt the following week. Have more pain this time but not bad enough to take more than only taken ES Tylenol since I've been home. I can't handle the other stuff. Glad you are doing so well
 
@CricketHip Sounds like you are doing wonderfully. Isn't it a wonderful feeling when you put on a little makeup. :) I did the same thing when I had my first hip replacement. You actually start to feel like yourself a little. I would get my shower every evening. LOL It was the highlight of my night. Keep up the good work!!
 
@Doodles51 I am thinking that I can wean off a bit more, also. I am itching more and more from the hydrocodone and if today is any indication of my progress then I should be able to get along with less in the future. I am 3 days ahead of you and my swelling really dropped off significantly in the past 2 days.
other news..
We picked up another walker to have downstairs so I can now go downstairs when needed. I am regaining my freedom!
For other Smarties who have worked with flights of stairs, I wonder what my limit should be for the next week or so? I've been up and down 2 times daily for the past few days with no issues... @Jaycey ? I think you had stairs, too?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom