Guest viewing is limited

THR My Big THR Recovery-Crickethip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CricketHip Happy to see a post from you. Mending and healing is just what we want to hear. You are Day 5 today, is everything what you expected? Better, worse? The more stories I read the more I realize everyone's experience can be so different. How is your knee today? Are you looking out the window at your garden? I am so looking forward to gardening to gardening again, I hope the promised El Nino does indeed come to California this fall, my garden need some serious water.
 
Oh @Plum Perfect , you sure could use some rain. That is just so sad.
Day 5 is a good day. I am slowly increasing the exercises given to me. I don't do all of them as they suggest to do them (3 times a day!!) and I quit when I begin to feel it. The mantas are always playing in my mind.
Walking a bit more daily.
It's an achey day.. more so than the other days. I can feel my glutes, (Butt) and strangely that seems to affect my balance or my perception of it.
The knee seems better today. I have taken great care to do the exercises that will support the thigh muscles and support my knee. It is definitely bruised feeling and some bruising is coming to the surface. outside of knee and around kneecap.
So, the thigh is tight, with a stiff and numby, burny feeling but I wouldn't classify it as pain. Certainly not the kind of pain that keeps you awake or would cause worry. Its just that oh, yes, I had surgery and I have some angry tissues. :shrug:
This will sound weird, but I like the way it feels and I embrace it. It makes me aware that I have had major surgery and that surgery is going to change my life for the better. I am doing my part and sleeping when sleepy, eating when hungry and for the most part, eating high protein, low fat foods with lots of fruits and veggies. Sounds boring? But oh so good!

You will do just fine, I cannot wait until you wake up and feel this way.. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.. those last 5 days whizzed past quickly for me and hope they do for you, too!
Aren't you the one who wonders whether to have your friend stay with you for a few days? I certainly recommend it. Things are much easier that way. No sense getting anxious over the things to do when you could have a support system. just managing the log leg takes some planning. :snork:
 
@PegGene Thank you for "stopping by" I hope you have been able to enjoy your family and also rest when you need to!!
I had someone come over to visit and do a bit of business. She wasn't here even 10 minutes before she began sneezing! I apologized, thinking she had allergies to our dog. And she said no, it's because she is coming down with a cold!! Seriously?? I can be quite blunt and basically ran her out of my room. Who does that to someone just 5 days out from major surgery?
I was just up and about-can't sleep- and I think my knee is already feeling less flimsy when I walk so I am optimistic that it's just soft tissue issue.
Hey you be careful and take care of yourself!! :wave:
 
@CricketHip, it sounds like you're doing marvelously still. Woot!
Good for you for chasing the sickie away.
How inconsiderate! Grrrr!
Keep up the good work, friend. :)
 
Good morning @CricketHip checking in with you, hoping you finally had a good nights rest last night. When I read your post about your 'visitor' I couldn't believe it! Day 6 today, have a great one.
 
@CricketHip, the first week sounds as if it has gone well for you, Yipee! I am so pleased for you. You were so well prepared but we never know about the unexpected. How is the "log leg" - not pleasant so I hope you chased it away. Look after yourself and I look forward to an other update
 
Hi @Plum Perfect !! How are you doing this afternoon? Is your home feeling organized and in control to the extent that you wanted? I think you are entering the honeymoon stage now. Hopefully you will enjoy a sense of calmness that will take you through the surgery.

DAY 6!
And I slept last night! It didn't start as a promising night, sleeping in fits and starts and getting discouraged. But Then my hubby peeked in on me and I asked him for my old standby trick.. a sleeping medication!! :chillpill:
So,, slept so soundly from 1:30- 7:30 am..
Yesterday was probably my grumpiest day,it started out good..then everything seemed to require extra work and time, I used my cane to get around easier in the bathroom and bedroom and could tell that my body wasn't ready for that yet. Well, it did fine but I pushed it for too long and then felt sore and just so tired. I was rushing a bit for that germ vcarrier/visitor and pledge to keep visitors to a minimum or to the ones that I really enjoy and know the basics about visiting a person so soon after a major health event.
Then it was difficult to regain my momentum and it wasn't anything I could put my finger on except I seemed to have a new soreness pattern and was irritated with myself.
So, back to today! Slept til 7:30. enjoyed a lazy morning, then the next door neighbors surprised us with some very amazing croissants. My goodness were they ever good.
The swelling is now dropping downward with gravity's help and the ankle and foot is puffy and bruised.
But it's nothing dramatic or jaw droopingly alarming.
I've done my walks inside and now that my husband is home, will descend the stairs and enjoy a nice walk outside, too.
My gait seems pretty stable. I am able, after warming up a bit, to plant my foot and follow through with the heal toe gate.t.v.

Gosh, a boring report! Overall I still feel great, I seem to crave sleep in huge amounts and find it hard to focus on anything but short 30 minute shows.. especially enjoying the old reruns. Oh and a couple games on the iPad.
We have a gorgeous dish of lasagna for tonight's meal, courtesy of another helpful neighbor.
I have played with lowering my narcotics dosing but just as the mantras state, things flow better when I stay with the program.
Even if I don't make much progress this week and stay where I am right now? I would be a very happy camper.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Can you believe it's going to be a week for you tomorrow? You reminded me that the downward swelling takes awhile. I was hoping I wasnt going to have it this time. I'm glad you got rid of the sick visitor. I didn't want to be around myself being sick let alone Be in contact with someone else that just had surgery. I am not impressed with my incision seamstress this time. Glad you are doing well. Getting some sleep makes a big difference.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Your update was not boring at all!! It's good to read about your progress.
I'm glad you got some good sleep. I think that is so crucial to healing.
The croissants can't hurt either :wink:
I can understand your irritability with the switch in the pain pattern.
I think we all crave 'normal' even in the context of a not so normal setting, like recovering from major surgery. We get used to the rhythms and think, " Okay, I can deal with this" and if it changes l, yhrn can knock the stufling out of us

Keep up the good work, @CricketHip. :)
 
@CricketHip
Just checking in. Glad you are doing great. Hope you are enjoying your chair and rest. Glad for the BS family. Everyone has some really good insight and tips......Glad u r tracking well in recovery.......still lifting prayers for all my buds this month.:fasthorse::bath:
 
Hey up non cricket hip. A grand report lass and tut at you for the boring comment. I totally understand the almost need to write and place your recovery down as its like a wow even small things are amazing. Re pain meds I did the same omg I shouldn't be taking so much better reduce them. Well its a rubicube idea. One thing tells you and it isn't the panicky brain its the body. It tells you as you forget to take the tablets. Right now as pain meds wear off pain creeps back so you need them. I know I'm being master of the obvious here but I have always said I'm not that bright..... Take care and keep smiling

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks Legin! Of course you are totally correct. It's a funny thing because it wasn't pain right away, it was a general overall malaise which over a period of time grew into painful body parts and painful thigh muscles.
Isn't it funny how the mind works? I've read the recovery posts and read the mantra's but then? my brain started working overtime.
I hope to increase my time downstairs this week. Which will mean an additional trip or 2 on the staircase. woo hoo.
 
@topgun
Tomorrow is your day!! I bet you are so excited! It sounds like you've had several struggles and now everything will be getting you back on your feet and working towards the goal of forgetting about your hips!! woo hoo!!
I hope you enjoy a nice "last meal" tonight.
 
@CricketHip Sounds like you're having a good recovery. Isn't it wonderful when you start sleeping again. Funny how excited we get when we sleep a full 5 hours. An awesome step in the right direction! Keep up the good work.
 
Hello CricketHip, I loved your report, never boring. You are improving so quickly, make sure you don't over do. Off to take some 'Deep Breaths' and think of everyone moving to the other side.
 
Checking in on you. It sounds as if you are doing great! You are definitely at the frustrating time...must mean you are doing better...body needs to catch up! My attention span was horrible! I don't even know how I passed the time...probably getting comfortable and then having to go to the bathroom...haha.
Take care! One week! It is amazing, isn't it!
 
Good morning from Cricket land!! So, yesterday.. I slept and slept. I hit the wall, so to speak. It ws the kind of tired where your arms feel so heavy and useless. My husband helped get me outside for 2 long walks and I did my PT twice but other than that? Sleep@!
So..........
DAY 8
I can't believe it!!! this has been an unbelievable ride... I think the biggest goal now is to not overdo. Still taking pain meds, cutting back is a possibility and have played around with it. But it most definitely affects the mobility and if we are limping and cringing, then it's hard to practice good body mechanics. So, for now I do my full regimen of meds.
Pre op, my biggest worry was the possibility of deep bone pains.. well, there are no deep bone pains at all! It's more the burning stinging tightness all around the incision. Which isn't pleasant but it's certainly not debilitating.
I think, if I lived in a home with fewer stairs that I could easily be on my own and do ok. Actually, I will say if I had to I could manage ok even with the stairs but I am glad that I don't have to do that.
I slept so many hours yesterday and still slept for most of the night and not only did I sleep but I slept flat on my back in my bed!!!!
The other good news is that so far my back hasn't bothered me at all, no spasms and none of the slippage pain that I also was worried about.
I had hoped to post a pic of my scar on the appropriate page but gosh, it's hard to get a decent shot of that area of the body!
@Nana757 you said it well about it being a bit of a disappointment. Luckily I have had experience with scars and stitches and know it will smooth out.. but it is ugly at this point!! :snork:
So there's my update.
oh! my neck pain is a wee bit better, it's still a real pain. the nerve pain causes me to itch on my upper arm. I have scratched to the point of bleeding.. so annoying. So my hip has to share it's ice packs with my shoulder.
 
Use emollient I find moisturising effect good and pressured massage helps with itch. Oooopsg you will know that doh

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
 
Thank you Legin!! I need to hear others advice, sometimes we are too close to our own issues to see the answer.
 
Day 8, hard to believe. I'm sure all that sleep is just what your body needed. I really enjoy your report and it will help you see your improvement as time goes by. What pain medications are you taking, did you have a nerve block to help with post surgical pain? Everything I've heard my surgeon is very good at managing the pain but I still worry. How is your appetite? Are you eating well? Do you have any cravings? How far are you walking now? So many questions... So happy you are doing well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom