THR My Big THR Recovery-Crickethip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning @CricketHip! I hope you had a restful night's sleep and your knees are feeling much better today. They can be problem areas, as many can attest to, including me! It becomes a trial and error course of action, just to determine what aggravates them and what seems to help. Icing and taping seemed to help me, but may not work for you. It will take time, I'm afraid, to sort it all out. Otherwise, yo seem to be dong really great in your recovery. And I am so happy to hear you are being spoiled! Let it continue as long as you can.
And, I'm with you out the TEDs hose. In fact, I think I read somewhere that they were not to buy out in the washing machine anyway. So, @Plum Perfect, I hope you have a spare pair. Also, just a couple of suggestions for you....1) have your reacher/grabber handy when doing laundry and 2) if it isn't handy, you can always use the golfer's reach/bend to pick things up from the floor. Hope this helps, for future dropsies.
:)
Have a wonderful day Cricket! Hopefully the rain and wind will start to fade today. It seems to be around here, anyway.
 
Hi everbody!! @AndyH99 good to hear from you, you were missed last week and hope all is going well now. and yes! I bought a new pair of sneakers just a few days before my surgery and that is all that I am wearing.
the right knee is already improving, I make sure my gait is smooth and sometimes I exaggerate my steps with raising my knees a bit higher than normal to make sure I am using my hips and knees properly. I had my husband videotape me walking so I could assess and noticed that I was hyper-extending the right knee and pivoting on that foot.
@Legin and @Kim22 - I appreciate your comments, too. It's so nice to have you guys to talk to and see what's normal or not so normal.. :rolleyes:
@Cynthia777 so funny, I think we were writing each other and checking in at the same time.. :loveshwr:
Im sorry to hear you are feeling some pain again in that hip/groin area. It's good that you are getting yourself set up to do the exercises at home, I guess the pool is still not an option? :heehee:
You are such an amazing friend to so many on this site. I am so happy to be one of them.. :)

So, I am doing really well,, today is my 2 weeks anniversary!! I can't even believe it, especially since I am now fully on one cane and walking with no aids at least 30% of the time. As soon as I feel a limp or looseness in the hip, I grab the cane and slow it down.
My swelling is down to a small area and it looks like I have cellulite or a saddlebag on that hip.
I only ice after exercising or walking, oh and at bedtime. My knee on the operated side is feeling better, too. It was badly bruised/swollen and I do some light massage on it and all along the thigh muscles every night before bedtime.
Its getting easier to do light housework- I wiped down the kitchen sink, bathroom sinks and used a broom to sweep the kitchen floor. Doing the stairs isn't an issue at all. I've even helped with clean up after the meals and think I will make some tuna salad tomorrow.
My biggest problem is still my neck and shoulder pain. a big phooey for that! It's definitely a pinched nerve, have had it before and recognize the symptoms well. So, I am trying to only use the computer when sitting properly at the desk or table and not while lying in bed. The phys. assist. that works with my OS has put me on Lyrica (Gabapentin) for a few weeks to see if we can't get it calmed down without steroids. So we shall see. I must say, staying off the computer for today really helped so I am optimistic.
I was in a car accident at age 16 where the car flipped 2- 1/2 times down a hill. Fractured my back and blew out a couple discs in my neck, dislocated right shoulder and an assortment of stitched areas..
So, those injuries follow me and get riled up from time to time. The natural progression of injuries like that is stenosis and I can usually manage it quite well. Of course all of the bedrest before and after the surgery would be hard on the neck and I understand that. But it's hard not to get a little down in the dumps, I try to do what's right and have had a wonderful post op experience and recovery, so I was a bit bummed to awaken with a lot of arm numbness and pain this morning. :sad:
So, good news is hip is great, my back is great ( that was a big worry before the surgery) my knees are better and hopefully my neck will rebound with a little pharmaceutical help.

So, all is well, as I've told some of you, I now tell myself,, I've got this!
 
@CricketHip great to hear from you and understand why your silence for so long today, so sorry to hear about your neck issue and glad the knee appears to be resolving. You really had a major accident at 16, I'm glad you are doing so well with everything you have had to deal with. Congratulations on your 2 week anniversary, you are doing stellar and no aids 30% of the time Woo Hoo for you!!! Wonderful to critique your walking and be able to improve it. When I focus I do well, with the cane, but if I'm hurrying, not that it is fast, I go into limp mode and have to stop, take a deep breath, stand up straight, and start over. I wonder why I thought recovery would just come naturally. Get a good night's rest and take care of your neck, we will have to suffer from your absence but happy to know it isn't something we said. :rotfl:
-
 
You are quite the gal and have been, not only a good friend, but an amazing comforter to so many others here! Your knowledge of the human body amazes me! Did you have formal schooling or are you self taught?
I'm so very sorry you are dealing with one type of pain or another. However, the good thing is that you know how to fix it. I mean, who would be clever enough to put themselves on tape to analyze their gait? Only you my friend. :-)
As always, I keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
 
Happy 2 weeks! You sound like you are making a lot of progress! I am sorry that you are having neck pain. I hope the medication works.
 
@Cynthia777
Yes, I had schooling and am licensed by the state.. am also Board Certified.
I had several life changing injuries early in my life. So, I focused on fitness in my early years. Then Massage.. I am a bit of an anatomy nerd. :reading:
@Plum Perfect
Oh I'll be around! I just needed today to get it settled down a bit and make up a different game plan.
I am very comfortable sitting at my desk so will write and check in on you all while there.
Now I am going to sleep.. Good night to all of us Hipsters!!
 
Sheeesh look at you and only two weeks. At that stage I still had megga log leg and on crutches, well done Supercricket.
I know how earlier exploits and injuries from our indestructable earlier years come back to haunt us. I too had what was a major car crash, 4hrs to get to me and cut me out. But I firmly believe that the attitude in youth of go for it continues if we let it and we can bounce back. Tho the wiff has banned me from ladders as I have often bounced. Go girl you are an inspiration.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@CricketHip You are doing amazingly well for only two weeks I can't imagine walking without aids this time next week.So glad the knee pain is receding but sorry that your neck and shoulder are now playing up.Going through this surgery puts our other joints and soft tissues through a lot of strain so if you have had previous injuries it is bound to show up there.If you were on top of these before surgery then you will again once your body gets stronger and you are obviously well on your way.Healing wishes coming your way.
 
Oh my goodness! I can't believe it's been 2 weeks already. And look how far you've come...already to the cane! Before you know it, you'll be walking without that, as well. I was very deliberate in my gait too. And still am. If I sense that I'm a little off (no wisecracks please...I know I'm already a little off!)...I pay a little more attention to how I'm walking, with longer, heal/toe strides. That seems to help me.
Sorry to hear you had such trauma to your body when you were young. Unfortunately, those type of injuries to come back to haunt us, eventually. But, your knowledge of the body seems to have gotten you through it, for the most part. I've had 2 neck surgeries for disk issues and the last one in 2009 caused a bit of nerve damage. I was put on Gabapentin when my left arm started shaking (tremors)...not bad, but enough to be annoying and worrisome. As long as I don't miss any doses, it keeps it at bey. But I can tell when I miss a day or two.
Keep up the wonderful progress, my friend. You really are doing great! Hopefully, you're seeing some relief with your neck and shoulders. Maybe your DH can give you a massage.
 
Good morning CricketHip and Happy 2 Week Anniversary! You are doing amazingly well and always have such a positive upbeat attitude which I really believe contributes more than we realize to our recovery. Hope your neck is feeling better today and keep up the great work!
 
I am touched beyond words. Your kind and positive replies have really lifted up my spirits today.
I don't cry easily but sure did tear up just now, reading your words. Thank you, thank you! I was feeling like a bit of a failure yesterday.
My philosophy is that we are given this life and the sadness and hardships to help shape us. It's discouraging to have other body parts flare up when finally the hip is fixed.. it's like, can't I just have a few months with smooth sailing? seriously!
the positive to the gabapentin is that it makes me sleepy and I think sleep is very healing. @Nana757 Im sorry you have had the neck issues, too. But I must say your telling me about it has cheered me up! Is that too horrible of me? So you are on the gabapentin as maintenance? I was told many years ago that i needed surgery but have been able to avoid it- frankly that one scares me. maybe taking gabapentin will be another option for me, too.

So, I surprised my husband and walked downstairs for breakfast and made my own hot tea. It was with great sadness,, hahaha, because I have really enjoyed him doting on me and bringing me breakfast in bed. sigh
Maybe we should make that a habit to do for each other on the weekends.
My hip continues to thank me for fixing it. Hopefully the rest of my body will begin to thank me, too!
15 days.. woo hoo!
 
Failure tut and dbl tut you will get the look lass. It is good to be independant but also great to do something for someone else

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Oh, my dear sweet Cricket. You should never, ever feel like any part of a failure! Look at what you've been through and what you have accomplished. I do understand what you mean though. It seems that once you get one body part fixed, out pops another one that needs repaired. With me, I sometimes feel like an old car that is well passed its warranty period and bit by bit things start falling apart. I have dubbed my colonoscopies my required oil and lube job! :rotfl: Maybe, one day, we will have that so needed break (no pun intended) in the action and enjoy a few months, or years, without something else putting a wrench in the works.
It's odd that Gabapentin makes you sleepy. I never got the sleepies from it. Yes, I'm on it for maintaining the little tremor in my arm and hand. (They have already ruled out Parkinson's, thank goodness) But, just to let you know, if it ever comes down where you need neck surgery...it truly is a piece of cake. If it wasn't for the chunks they took out of my ilia, for each surgery, I would have had ZERO pain afterwards! I wore a soft neck collar for 6 weeks, but that was it. And, I lost no mobility in my neck.
Sorry to hear you broke the spoiling string. But, I know it felt great being able to do that for and by yourself! Here's hoping you are back to being spoiled for a while longer. :fingersx:
 
@CricketHip, when I think of the word 'failure' the last person I picture is you. You have been so positive throughout this whole thing...stopping to acknowledge the little victories along with the big ones and always remembering your attitude of gratitude.
The blues are a part of this, they say, so sing them, but don't you EVER think you're a failure!
That's my hippie friend you're talking about, and I won't have that. :wink:
Big *HUGS* and better days ahead.
Sending out best wishes for your other aches to ease and get resolved.
 
@CricketHip Sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good work and focus on the idea that come the spring you won't even remember that you had a hip replacement. :) Warm wishes!
 
Be careful re gaberpentin I stopped as they made me feel v down.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk
 
Hello @CricketHip I really understand the blues, it comes over you for no apparent reason but you are the least likely person I know to let it linger. You are doing great. Just remember the aches and pains we have now are healing ones, we no longer have the ones that get worse every day. Kudos for getting yourself breakfast but not sure why you didn't wait 'till hubby left and do lunch. That spoiling is so good for you. Everyday I have new sore spots, I'm trying to embrace them.

When do you see your OS? I'm sure he'll be pleased and amazed at your recovery. Do you have some sun today? We have another beautiful day but I'd trade it all for some rain. Sending happiness vibes to you now.
 
SOME PARTS OF GETTING OLD IS FOR THE BIRDS!!!!

[Bonesmart.org] My Big THR Recovery-Crickethip
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom