THR My Big THR Recovery-Crickethip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you @Michegon, I keep chanting that slow and steady wins the race. Sure feels good to be back in my groove, though!
Hope all is well with you.
 
Thanks @CricketHip and @hiphiphooray. The first day of exercise it didn't hurt at the time but the next day, Saturday, my thighs were burning. Over the weekend I did gentle stretches and walking, Monday I was still sore but not too bad. All the exercises were increased but not painful at the time I did them but got progressively worse and by Tuesday, last week, I couldn't walk. I've spent a week resting/icing and am still not back to where I was before I started. I should have known better, I had been so careful before PT! Thank you for your suggestions. I'll look for a smaller PT facility when (if) I'm ready to go back. I'm glad you are both doing so well, I'll be there with you soon!! Thank you.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
4 weeks post those muscles are still in healing mode. The main thing is walking and gentle stretches to avoid muscles wasting. Any exercise should only be done to uncomfortable mode you will gain more from repetition of things you find comfortable

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@CricketHip gosh, how did I miss your update about going back to work?! I am sooooo happy for you!! Keep up the great work - you have the smart approach doing a graduated return - slow and steady wins the race! Yay Cricket!!
:happydance::wowspring:
 
Thanks @Hipster Girl ! It is a small, phased return.. but I must say it has helped to boost my morale a bit. How are you doing? I need to matey on over to your thread.. :heehee:
 
That's great! A phased return is best in my opinion, especially if you are still experiencing any kind of energy drain. I didn't realize you were a massage therapist but it's good that you can set your own schedule and even your own clients depending on how you are feeling and if they want deep tissue or Swedish or other type massage.

I plan to go back to work at the end of the month on a phased return if possible. I work an 8 hour schedule but I have co-workers who have had surgery and gone back to work on half days for a week or two until they build their stamina back up. I plan to do the same.
 
Being self employed has it's perks and it's drawbacks, for sure. Luckily I have some modalities under my belt that helps me adjust, manual lymph and massage for the chronically ill clients is taxing for my brain and easier on the body!
The main thing that has been so wonderful is seeing how supportive and caring my clients have been. I was extremely humbled by their concern. Well, except the one who was pressuring me to see her.. lol. But it's good to see the true colors, now, isn't it?
I have been working on the schedule and have to keep reminding myself about the slow and steady approach.
My schedule was always booked solid for 5-6 weeks out. Its so weird to see the limited schedule but in a way I like the idea of never booking it so heavily ever again!
I hope you are feeling better and finding things to keep your mind busy...and wow! maybe returning to work at the end of the month! That is amazing.. :yay:
 
@CricketHip, I was going to ask you how things are going with That One. I hope it's okay. I love how you look at things. Indeed, it's good to see a person's true colors so you can decide how to move forward.
I was thinking that a year from now, you're probably going to look back and think, "Wow, look at what I was doing so soon after my THR".
You've done marvelously and will continue to do so. I'm so glad you're able to gradually return to this work that means so much to you. I know helping others feeds your soul. :)
 
hello fellow bone smarties!! :loveshwr: Well, here I am at 8 weeks post op and feeling pretty darn good.
The return to work is taking quite a bit out of me, I am a bit surprised that I still get so tired. The work session in of itself isn't so bad but it's the prep beforehand and showering, hair styling, etc.
I hope to find that this week is easier.
@DeepBreath "That One" has backed off considerably. She scheduled with the other therapist. Which still bothered me, I felt like I didn't even want her in my office space, but I have relaxed over it all after having a week to settle down. Now that I know her ilk I will know to be very careful with the boundaries going forward.
So, another point about the hip.. it continues to get stronger. My PT is going well and he is helping me prepare for the rigors of my work. After @Plum Perfect wrote to report on her PT and the lunges I gave that some considerable thought, the primary stance when giving a massage is of course, in that lunge position!
So will continue a very low key phased return for the next 4 weeks.
The problem I'm having is,, and yes, there always seems to be a problem, eh? The other hip is beginning to catch in that painful way that our degenerating hips do.. the type of catch where you feel that you will fall down if you don't stop and and grab on to something. :gaah: It probably only happens like 3-4 times a day but I worry that it will come on hard and fast like the other side. I wonder if the LLD is bothering it and adding pressure? It's the shorter side and I am guessing that means the weight isn't evenly distributed.
The good news is that when walking and striding out, there is no pain, the "catch seems to happen when doing stairs or the first few steps after getting up out of a chair.
Overall I am doing well, the neck is healing, I see that specialist on Thursday to re assess..
I just feel like I am a bucket of bones.. faulty bones!
I've made peace with the fact that I will be working a limited schedule for several more weeks and now that I've come to that decision I feel much better.

I hope all of my friends on this forum are doing well and any of the pre op people reading this thread see that there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel. The operated hip is already becoming the forgotten hip. I can go many hours now without even thinking about it and isn't that a marvelous thing to say??
The National Dog Show is held close by so we decided to go on Saturday and it involved lots of walking and standing for long periods of time. The new hip gave me no problems, whatsoever. :yahoo:
 
Hi @CricketHip, a great report regarding your new hip!!!! :wowspring:
Sorry to hear about all the other stuff, but hopefully everything will calm down for you.
I truly feel it takes at least a full year, and then some, for total healing and acceptance into our bodies.
You are doing awesome; keep up the good work!
 
@CricketHip, I am very glad that the problem client went to the other therapist, but so understand your feelings about having her in your office space. Hopefully all will remain calm on that front.
I'm sorry the other hip is grabbing and hurting. GAH! Sending good thoughts that it does not degenerate quickly and that you can have some time to just ease back into work without having to worry about that.
Yaay that your neck feels better!! Also, how wonderful that walking and standing was comfortable during the National Dog Show. Awesome!
Continued good vibes flowing your way, friend. :flwrysmile:
 
Wow @CricketHip that is great about the standing and walking at the National Dog Show - that must have felt incredible! Glad to hear that. There is an event that I go to every summer that I had avoided for a couple years but went this year and was in absolute agony with my hips; I am very much looking forward to next summer when I go & can walk and stand pain-free, that will be a huge milestone and indicator that I truly do have my life back.

I can relate to what you're saying about the operated hip becoming the forgotten hip as I am feeling that way these days about my first operated hip & it is an amazing feeling! I can't wait until I can say the same for my other hip and I know that every day brings me one step closer.

Glad to hear you have made the decision to stay on a limited work schedule for now and have come to peace with that. I plan to go back to work after Thanksgiving because my FMLA is up so I absolutely have to go back whether I want to or not but I plan to ease back by only working half days for a couple weeks. I still am only 3 weeks onto my second hip so I still have a huge energy drain and am worried about how that will come into play when I go back to work, but thankfully we are approaching the holidays so there will at the very least be some short weeks coming up which will help.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl yes, you have a few more weeks to go where sleep will be so important. I was pretty tired yesterday afternoon. It's pretty much all I could think about,, sleep, that is :heehee:
But I pushed through without succumbing and I slept great last night.
Your return to work sounds like it will be good timing! The holidays will help and I am glad for you about that!!
On my way to PT...
 
Hi CricketHip, Congratulations on getting back to work. I'm sorry to hear that your right hip is bothering you. It's weird...when I went for my xray, I told the surgeon that I thought my right hip was fine. It was the left one that really hurt. He told me that both of the hips were really bad...bone on bone. It's strange how the body registers pain. How does your right hip look on the xray?

I know what you mean about feeling tired. It's great to get back into a normal routine, but it does tax the body. I've been pretty wiped out lately, too. I've been going to bed around 7:30 p.m.! Take care of yourself. I enjoyed reading your updates.
 
Glad you are getting back to work and some normalcy.

I've been reading a lot and see almost everyone is getting PT. Is it odd that I don't have it? I didn't have it last time either except for in the hospital.


Julie
THR rt 25th July of 2014
THR lt 30th October of 2015
 
@Hoot262, Like you, I just had PT in the hospital. They gave me a sheet of paper with a list of those exercises. I continued to do those at home.

I found that walking and doing my household tasks was plenty of PT. The exercises on that sheet of paper did seem to help me develop the muscles to grab the implant, though. I was very conservative, and didn't do many repetitions.

I think taking care of four children is plenty! Rest is so important. How is your PT going @CricketHip? Do you like the therapist?
 
Hi @CricketHip! Saw your post on Deep's thread and thought I'd stop in and catch up with yours. I don't understand why I haven't gotten any alerts...but no matter...
I'm so glad to hear you are beginning to "forget" that you've had THR. I very seldom think about mine anymore. My hip doesn't bother me at all, except for a little bursitis. But that's being taken care of with more PT and Voltaren gel. Barely bothers me now. It's wonderful when you reach the point when surgery is just a faded memory.
It sounds like you are doing really well with your phased in return to work. You mentioned your other hip is beginning to give you problems. I'm thinking it may be LLD causing you discomfort, because of the stance you take when performing your massages. Have you tried putting a little insert in your shoe, to see if that helps any? Also, and I know you've probably thought of this already, but you may be working the other side a bit more now, because of your stance. You are now using muscles that haven't been used in quite a while. And that's probably adding to your energy drain, too. But, like I said, you've probably thought about all this already.
Im just glad to hear you are doing so well. Take care, my friend.
:flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Hello! @Nana757 !! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!! I will wait a while longer for the slight heel lift. I think they want me to adjust without it for a while longer. the other hip isn't hurting any worse than before my return to work, it "catches" maybe 5-6 times daily but so far not close to what the left one was doing. Im working it hard in PT.. will either make it or break it!!

ugh, a bit of bursitis? sorry to hear that. I am being so careful,, still phasing into my work and so far, so good!
I have a super colleague who is working on me on a bi weekly basis and I think that is helping a lot. It truly does take a village!
I still feel such gratitude for my lovely new hip and my wonderful recovery. I am resuming so many activities that I thought I wouldn't ever do again.
It's 9 weeks now!! The comment that I hear the most? That I look taller, look younger, with less strain on my face.. I'll take those!

:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom