THR My Big THR Recovery-Crickethip

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello! So, it's another Friday.. I guess that makes this my 18th day post op? The time has just zipped by so fast!!
I have really enjoyed my day today. My walks today were so nice, it was sunny and warm, so went out earlier this morning, then got another walk in around 1 pm. As usual I ran into a neighbor and had a nice chat, and the hip did great. Standing still was brutal on the old bone on bone hip and today, not a problem.
I am still using one cane but am walking away from it more and more often now. I try to be careful because with the cane I can control the limp vs.non cane walking.. that makes the walking a bit more limited. But! If I suddenly somehow lost my cane I wouldn't feel stranded.
I hope everybody is ready for a good weekend.. :)
 
Hi @CricketHip I am so glad that you had such a nice day yesterday and are already at the stage where you are forgetting your cane as this is a big step forward.I must admit I am a bit of a scary cat about venturing out into the neighbourhood because I will meet neighbours who will be wanting to chat.Dont get me wrong I love to chat and socialise but I remember the preop pain caused by standing too long chatting I had to come home lie down with an ice pack.This is not a problem for you now so I will get out soon when I feel ready.I do need to get some fresh air and vitamin D as my complexion hasthat sallow tinge so this morning I will try going into the garden.It is a beautiful day it started wth one of those autumnal mists which has lifted now the sun is shining.
 
@Legin dreek?? I love that word!
 
Aye it says it. Here's me doing big BBQ for stepsons birthday too

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@CricketHip, SO happy to hear that you wouldn't feel stranded if you lost your cane! Wonderful! I hope your day is bright and fabulous. :)
 
Okay,boys and girls.. it's time for my 3 week report !!
I am a little amazed at all I can do. the improvements seem to come in a steady stream, one day I could walk further and easier and with using only a cane, then the exercises became boring and easy, the stairways not as intimidating. I find myself doing little household chores, sweeping with a broom, dusting, making up the beds and doing laundry, etc.
I began taking the steps as usual, instead of one foot up and the other foot joining. I tried this morning and was able to go up with my hand holding lightly on the banister. Now, I don't expect to climb the stairs like this each time, when I feel tired or a little weak in the knees, then I go back to cane and the one step shuffle. I started with a couple normal steps and then resumed the cautious way and increased it as the week progressed. So, I felt I was ready to do the full flight this morning.

We are still enjoying such gorgeous fall weather and my husband and I decided to increase my walking distance on Saturday--I was able to complete 3 and 1/2 blocks! It felt great, never had any pain, the thigh got a little tight towards the end and I had a bit of swelling afterwards but hey, it felt great and never had any repercussions later.
We also had friends over Saturday night. I was able to enjoy a full evening sitting in a chair and do a few hostess duties. Everything is tried with a cautious approach, with no heroics involved.

The end result is that I am loving my time off from work, I feel like I am healing well and am optimistic for the remainder of my recovery. My biggest setback is the neck and shoulder pain which persists in nagging me.
My OS office has me scheduled next week for a 4 week check up and this is my first appt since the surgery. I am so thankful to this website and to our wonderful Jaycey, Josephine and Jaime, who give us so many great links to refer to and mantras to follow. I would have been lost without this wisdom right at my fingertips.
Let's see, I can walk easily inside my home without the cane and with what hopefully is little to no limp. I still take it on my outside walks, mainly because of uneven sidewalks and street surfaces and naturally after the muscles fatigue the limp will return and I am trying to retrain my lower body to use it's muscles wisely and if that means keeping a cane handy, then so be it.

Oh! I made the mistake of weighing myself when I returned home and I was 11 pounds heavier than 2 days earlier. and pre op. Its gone down at least 7 pounds since my first at home weigh in. But yikes! That's a lot of swelling and I.V. fluids! :shocked:
So, to recap- I am a Happy Camper. this is going better than I dared to dream of. My knee on my "good side" is still sore and painful at times and my neck pain is going to need some further attention but the hip itself is just wonderful. The naps and icing will continue and may I just say that I love-LOVE my naps!
 
@CricketHip
What a wonderful update! Congratulations on what seems to be a smooth and uneventful recovery. To be able to walk as far as you do and to get out and smell the roses, is marvelous! I am so happy that you are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel and enjoying the accomplishments you've made. Yahoo, my friend!
:loveshwr::flwrysmile:
 
@CricketHip, I am SO happy to read this update! It sounds like you are doing marvelously and progressing at a wondeful rate. Kudos to you for being cautious, but not afraid of challenging yourself.
I am sending out good thoughts that you get answers about your neck and shoulder pain.

Onward, hippie friend! :yay:
 
I love updates like this one! Well done!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CricketHip Hippy 3 week anniversary! I remember when I was at 3 weeks it was Christmas and family and friends were all marveling at how well I was walking and finally out of pain. Savor every moment and keep up the good work (but not too much!!!)
 
You are doing so well just don't overdo it

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks @Legin I am trying very hard not to. I plan to take it easy today. I am feeling muscles that I forgot I had.. :snork:
 
Hmmmmm had a feeling that was happening. So yup take it easy sit out on that porch or watch a good old black and white movie, one that makes you smile

Legin THR Sep 14
 
running over and giving you a big hug!! Legit, you make me laugh and yes, a movie might do the trick.. I have been watching Golden Girls reruns, they are soothing to me for some reason. haha
I am guessing that it's afternoon for you? Are you home today?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom