THR My 5 week journey journal

Update since I haven’t been on in awhile. The blues left me as quickly as they hit me. No blues since so yes it was a temporary thing. Thank goodness! Feeling great....actually forget sometimes that I even had a hip replacement. The only trouble now is my other hip is due for a replacement. It fascinates me that a bad hip can cause aching, sore back, knee pain, poor posture and horrible bone pain down my legs. I did a lot of housework today and I’m paying for it in the other hip now. The new hip and leg have absolutely no pain...nothing! I remember thinking before I had the hip replacement that I must have a degenerating spine and bad knees and bone cancer in my legs. All of these pains were purely symptoms of my hip joint being bone on bone. Who would have thought? The surgeon says the other hip is ready to be replaced any time. At least now I know what to expect both physically and mentally. The next hip will be a piece of cake! To all those out there who haven’t done had their hip replaced go get it done you will honestly feel 20 years younger and brand new again! I actually look forward to having the other one done! Cheers!

Hi @hipster55

I just came across your post. I could have looked on the flag under your profile picture to tell that you were Canadian... but oddly, it was you first post about your husband getting you a Tim's that alerted my to your Canuck status. I too am Canadian... west coaster (your talk of cottage country tells me you are probably somewhere in Ontario.

Anyway, just thought I'd reach out and say "hey"... or "eh", just to satisfy the stereotype. Hope your recovery continues to go well. And don't get let the blues get you down... happens to everyone I am told. Autumn colors are just around the corner for you.

Cheers

Really eh? Yes you guessed it I do live in Ontario and love my Tim’s coffee! We have a cottage up near Dorset. I’m envious I just love the west coast been to Vancouver, Victoria, fell in love with Tofino and the Sunshine Coast! Hope your recovery is going well fellow Canuck and fellow hipster! My profile picture was actually taken on the beach in Tofino.

Hipster 55, sounds like you have cracked this! And thanks for blogging your progress to date with such honesty. I am impressed by the two hour drive. That takes some doing. I am currently in week 4, doing gentle physio and walking but concentrating on form. Hubby blows hot and cold too and is st his best in the mornings. Made me tea with a bacon sandwich. Yum.

The headaches are interesting as I do not usually get them but do now!

Just checking in to update everyone on my progress! It’s been just over 6 months and I’m feeling fantastic! Numbness around scar and pain around scar is gone. Mood is great! Leg feels brand new with absolutely no pain. If someone asked me how long a hip recovery takes I would say honestly a good six months. I had a small setback after my daughters wedding 3 months into recovery from dancing too much but hey it was well worth it! I’m great now. I’m meeting my surgeon this month to schedule my other hip replacement. When it aches it reminds me of the horrible pain I suffered for years in the other leg which now is painless. I’m actually looking forward to getting the next one fixed so I’ll really be a brand new woman! So stay tuned I’ll jump back on to let you know how my next one goes! This website was a lifesaver for me so thanks for letting me share my story and read the stories of others who were going through the same experience I was! P.S- I did gain 7 pounds but not sure if that was not being able to exercise as much or the chocolates over Xmas!

Hi there :wave:
What a great update! Thanks for sharing. Great to read how all has gone so well for you.
Let us know the date once you get your right hip scheduled so it can be included in your signature.
Keep in mind full recovery can take up to a full year, even longer for some. May it only get better and better!
Happy New Year! Stay in touch.
@hipster55

@hipster55 We will be here for you with hip #2. Please keep us updated!

What a lovely encouraging report! Well done and looks like you got the recovery balance right!

@hipster55
It's great to read your 6 month report. It's just under 6 months since my first but only 6 weeks since my second. So, if mine goes as well as your has it won't be too long before I feel brand new. I must say I give little thought to my first hip now.
Scheduling the 2nd hip sounds like a good plan. Do it before it gets really bad. Hopefully you won't need to wait too long to get it done.

I've put on weight too. I have been avoiding the scales, so not sure how much, but the lack of exercise plus Christmas hasn't helped. I really need to do something about it before it gets too bad.

Good to hear you are doing well.
New Double hippy...coming up!
:chuckmarch:

Hi everyone,

My second hip replacement (right hip) is scheduled for this coming Monday Sept 30th first thing in the morning. Can’t wait to get this one done. The pain I’ve experienced strangely has been quite different than the other one. More pain in the actual joint area than before but similar leg pain, knee pain and back pain. Once this once is done I start a new chapter in my life. Can’t wait to get back to an exercise routine, hiking and just plain feeling good. Wish me luck. I’ll log back in as soon as I can and give you an update on my day to day progress post op!

Cheers

All the best on Monday @hipster55 ! You will soon join the double hippie club. See you on the other side!

Hello and Happy Saturday @hipster55
Wishing you all the best on Monday! Will be thinking of you and looking forward to an update once you're resting comfortably and feeling up to it. May this recovery be better than the last! :yes:

Best wishes @hipster55 on Monday!! I felt the same way, my second hip was very different than the first.
My recovery is different, too. But it's all good and I can't wait to get back to long hikes and exercise, too!

:hi:
Sending you healing vibes in advance...last one and done!:yes!:

I hope you feel at the positive energy coming your way from your fellow hipsters! I also hope your first week of recovery goes fast, so you can get through the rough stuff that always seems to follow a major surgery. What a sense of relief you must feel, knowing you'll have 2 new hips!! :yes!:

It’s 4am Tuesday morning next day after surgery. Doc said I lost quite a bit of blood during surgery as the joint was extremely tight and hard to get at but Xrays look good. Doc did a bikini incision this time which appears to be half the length of the other scar. Was up peeing every hour last night but used walker with no problem. BP is very low 80 over 55 but that happened last time so not worried. Slight fever this morning but overall feel pretty good. Only took one hydromorph at 9:30 last night after surgery meds wore off. Don’t feel like I need another one yet but I do have a slight headache. Leg is sore similar to last surgery can’t lift it yet but things are looking great. Going home today around 11am. Woohoo can’t wait! Stay tuned for more updates.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back