Guest viewing is limited

THR My 5 week journey journal

Congrats on Hip 2!
It sounds like you're doing pretty well and on your way home in a few hours.
You know the drill, meds on schedule, ice and lots of rest.
Safe travels home...let us know how you're doing once you're settled in and resting comfortably.
Happy Tuesday!
@hipster55
 
Congrats on your new hip!! You sound chipper and on top of things.
Welcome to the double hippy club, and good luck with getting your discharge and getting settled in your home . That is huge, because there’s no place like it for recovery. :loveshwr:
 
Day 3 post op. Leg is stiff and swollen but really no pain this time around. Haven’t had to take any of the hydromorphone. Only Tylenol which quite frankly wouldn’t have to take that either. Able to sleep on my left side at night with no issues. Walking with the walker is way easier this time. My only complaint really would be fatigue and my swollen stiff leg and of course the exercises but I hated doing those last time also. What a difference one surgery approach to another makes. Hope this is a good sign of a quick recovery to come. My last hip replacement did not run this smoothly so fingers crossed this one is a charm.
 
Yes icing often but good idea on the elevating haven’t been doing that.
 
Good Morning :wave:
Sounds like you're off to a good start. With any luck this recovery will be easier than your first. It's wonderful that you're not dealing with any significant pain at only three days post op. I hope it stays that way from you.
Best wishes for a great day!
@hipster55
 
Day 8 update- My daily schedule for the past 5 days:

Sleep terrible can’t get comfortable, sleep a couple hours at a time and have a headache
Wake up feeling crappy
Take meds-all but the opioids which I’ve managed to avoid so far
Have coffee
Start to feel better
Do morning exercises to a Rocky themed playlist I created to make the exercises more motivating, add hand weights just for the heck of it
Feel amazing, energy, if it weren’t for my swollen leg feel like I could run a marathon
Walk long driveway with walker
Watch Netflix, elevate and ice leg
Mid afternoon eyeballs start to close, naptime
Wake up energized again,
Repeat exercises
Dinner,
Sleep,
Repeat

Feeling so lucky and blessed that both hips are done. Can’t wait to get my life back and maybe even feel like I’m 30 again.

Today I might do a painting of my doctor as a gift as he is a mountain climber. He might like that.

Onwards and upwards as I climb my own personal get better mountain!

Cheers!
 
Good Morning :hi:
Sounds grim until...coffee! :heehee:
Actually it sounds pretty normal for only eight days post op.

Feeling so lucky and blessed that both hips are done. Can’t wait to get my life back and maybe even feel like I’m 30 again.

Love this! A grateful spirit always warms my heart and this surgery does feel like a second chance. Feeling like a 30 yr old again may be pushing it but don't let me stop you. DREAM BIG! :wink:

Wishing you a fab Monday!
@hipster55
 
Just an update as I haven’t been on in a few days:

Day 11- Well things were going well and I spoke too soon. Day 11 brought me a scare. I noticed earlier in the day that I could feel my heart flutter. The feeling was as though my heart stopped then re-started. I could feel it in my chest all day. I checked my pulse and noticed that it would stop then start sometimes 3 to 4 times within a 60 second period. My daily exercises exhausted me. On top of all of this I was sure I had a sinus infection ( sore teeth, headache, face). So off to emergency we go. They did a cardiogram and took blood. As I felt my heart skipping beats at the same time I could see the reading on the monitor take a dip on the graph. That’s it I’m thinking time for a pace maker, heart surgery, sepsis or worse I’m not going to make it. Well after 3 hours in emergency the prognosis is that my heart is healthy and maybe the irregular heartbeats are due to the amount of blood I lost during surgery? Or perhaps on top of that because I’m fighting a sinus infection? Or perhaps because my blood pressure is low I’m more aware of it? No real answers apart from the facts it sounds like I’m not going to die. Anyway the doc prescribes me antibiotics for the sinus ( thank goodness). Pop one right away. Horrible sleep tonight. Massive migraine. Sleep sitting up which helped. I’m curious if anyone else has experienced the heart flutters?

Day 14 (today)- Heart flutters have mostly subsided. Slept most of the night with no migraine. Antibiotics are kicking in. Leg swelling looks like it’s finally starting to go down. Woke up at 3:30am with energy. Cleaned dishes, vacuumed floors, made myself breakfast. Hopefully I’ve crossed the threshold. Fingers crossed. Happy Thanksgiving!
 
Oh my word....just reading this now. I'm so sorry, the irregular heartbeat must have been frightening. Thankfully your heart is healthy and the fluttering has mostly subsided. It's good the migraine went away and you had some decent sleep. It had to feel great to wake feeling energized enough and accomplish all you mentioned. Brighter days ahead!

I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving. :)
@hipster55
 
Hi @hipster55
Really sorry to hear about your scares... don't need the anxiety for sure.
Well after 3 hours in emergency the prognosis is that my heart is healthy and maybe the irregular heartbeats are due to the amount of blood I lost during surgery?
Have no idea but hope it stays away.:yes:
Guess they ruled out any medication side effects?
I had to quickly look to see you were in Canada.
I thought I missed Thanksgiving!!!:sad::dubious:
 
Day 11- Well things were going well and I spoke too soon. Day 11 brought me a scare. I noticed earlier in the day that I could feel my heart flutter. The feeling was as though my heart stopped then re-started. I could feel it in my chest all day. I checked my pulse and noticed that it would stop then start sometimes 3 to 4 times within a 60 second period.

Hi @hipster55... I am no doctor nor have any deep knowledge about heart flutters but can share my experience with them. They are called premature heart beats.
I am 61 now and have had them since I was a teenager back home.
I can't even remember how many times I underwent various tests to figure out what's going on and what is causing them. Sometimes they would last for couple hours, couple days or even few weeks then simply disappear to reappear again few years later. I learned to live with them because all the tests were showing healthy heart and all the specialist assured me that everything is okay with me. Few of them even mentioned that many people have them but only some of us can actually feel them...
I even had them for couple of weeks before my THR on Sept 10, was scared that this will indefinitely postpone my surgery and mentioned that to my doctor and to the anesthesiologist. They both said I will be fine.
One thing I should mention is... sometimes I feel them when there is a mayor weather change, so not sure if it's related to the barometric pressure. Our body is such an enigma. :flwrysmile:
 
:hi: @hipster55
I hope you've been doing well since we last heard from you.
Dropping by to say Hi and wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary.
Assuming Righty is behaving and you continue to see decent progress.
Wishing you a great rest of the week!
 
Hi everyone, just touching base on my recovery to date.

Week 3 brought my family tragic news when my little brother who was only 51 years old passed away suddenly after playing hockey from a blood clot in his heart. He leaves behind 3 young kids ages 10, 8 and 7. So on top of my day to day hip recovery I’ve been dealing with terrible grief. Didn’t see that coming.

Today as just over a month I’m feeling grateful for my progress. Swelling has reduced significantly however seems that new pain has appeared in my glutes. Started physio last week. My daily routine is walking 1km in the morning and 1km at night with my dog Jamie with my cane. Stationary bike 15-20 minutes and strengthening exercises (could be why my glutes hurt). I’ve been driving since week 3 with no problems. Sleeping through the night with no meds at all now except for the odd Tylenol.

Through my grief my body continues to heal which is amazing given my mental state. The one lesson I learned through my brothers funeral is to live each day. You just never know when it might be your last. My body will heal. The physical pain I feel will subside. I am grateful for my hip replacement and the freedom it will provide me to live my life to the fullest. For anyone out there wondering if they’ll ever get through your hip recovery, you will. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Be patient our bodies are amazing things!
 
Good Morning,
This news is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for the sudden loss of your dear brother. My condolences to you and all who are hurting over his unexpected passing.

It sounds like your recovery is progressing as it should. Unimaginable as you are weighed down by grief while trying to heal physically. Your message about what you've realized through your mental anguish will be inspirational to all who read it. We're never promised tomorrow.

Sending comfort, a warm hug, wishes for brighter days and the hope that you feel close and connected to your precious brother through all of the wonderful memories you hold in your heart. :console2:
@hipster55
 
So sorry for your loss, it's never easy, sending you healing hugs for both your heart and hip. Prayers for your family, hold each other tight. :prayer::console2:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom