MUA My 2nd Journey Begins

Thank you ladies. I will let you know what it all means when I find out. And I will find out!
 
@Desertgal, the easiest thing to do is to call Orthopedic Analysis at (312) 733-7121 during their regular hours: 9:00 AM- 5:00 PM, Chicago time. I have called them plenty of times for different questions. They are very nice. They will explain to you what a "known stimulant (PHA)" is. :)
 
Well here I am, 1 week out and my nerves are beginning to get the best of me. I had my pre-op today. OS tried to draw fluid off my knee to check for infection and could not get past the scar tissue! So, tissue sample will be taken during surgery and sent to pathology while I am still on the table. Tonight my knee is killing me! Blood test does not show infection, and I appreciate his thoroughness, but my knee still hurts tonight. I don’t want to think about the process, should it be determined I have an infection.
 
I’ll be praying all goes well for you @Desertgal. I’m here if you want to talk. I tried my best to keep busy and do those things I wouldn’t be able to do for awhile to keep from getting the pre-TKR jitters. One think I didn’t plan enough for is what to do during recovery. The meds keep me too foggy to be able to read, so I have been spending too much time on the TV and after less than two weeks of that, I’m totally bored! I’m trying to have more visitors, especially from the grandkids are the most uplifting. Thinking of ordering an office type chair with casters that I can adjust the height and roll around on so I can get Into the closets to give them a good cleaning! Whoa! I must be getting desperate! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thanks for your kind words @Hood1980. I’ve still got a few things on my “to do” list. Hope to get them done by Saturday. I’ve already got that chair, so guess I’m ready to clean the closets? NOT! The good news is I had a list of questions for my OS yesterday and he covered all of them. I only had to look at my list at the end to be sure he covered everything. I am confident I have the best chance to get this right. I just need Tuesday to get here!
 
Tuesday will be here before you know it. I’ll be out of town, so not posting next week, but I’ll be thinking of you!

It sounds like you’re in good hands. And you already know what to expect, which will be plus for your recovery. :friends:
 
Well, my “todo” list is complete. Now what? I have too much time on my hands, waiting for Tuesday morning!
 
I will gladly trade places with you LOL
I’m sure I’ll be antsy a few days before it’s my turn.
Best of luck to you on Tuesday!
 
Less than 24 hours to go! I made it thru the weekend with way too much time on my hands. Thank goodness it is football season! College on Saturday and pro on Sunday occupied my house. I’m just waiting for THE phone call to tell me what time. Thank you BoneSmart friends, your kindness, opinions, and support is in my head and heart. I will give an update when possible.:thumb:
 
Best, best wishes! :console2:
 
Best of luck to you @Desertgal! I’ll be praying for you and for your surgeons. Enjoy your day to day and remember to just breathe! It releases the tension. I said a lot of prayers to calm my nerves and my DH would hold my hand and massage my temples to help relieve the stress and nerves while waiting at the hospital. Check in when you can!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hello all- I’m now on the “other side”and doing well so far. I was only in the hospital 36 hours! 1 day less than planed. First 24 hours it was hard to open my eyes. But, I was on my feet in the morning and went to PT at 1:00 in the afternoon. PT not bad, just heal slides, ankle pumps etc. they never touched me. Second day was PT at 11:00am and 2:00pm then was released to go home. I’m on Gabapentin 300mg 2x a day; Norco 325mg 1 to 2 every 4 to 6 hours as needed. So far I have only been taking 1 every 4. I will stretch out to 5 hours tomorrow if this continues to be ok.

The OS told me what he found inside. He thought my patella was too thick so that was thinned out. After he removed the old equipment, he put in a thinner spacer with the new. The old was definitely rotated, so that along with the thicker spacer and fat patella it was never going to track properly. The OS was able to get my bend to 120. He said the hard part will be stretching out the ligaments that have not used for 11 months. Maybe @Josephine understans this part better?

I currently have a lot of swelling but am Able to bend slightly. More than before. All in all, I have hope this has been successful and I just need to recover and walk!

BoneSmart admins, how can I get the yellow title “revision” added to my title?
 
I’m so glad you’re doing well and are home!

We’ll switch you to “revision”
 
It’s so interesting, and not in a good way, what they find in there when they do a revision. :yikes:
 
I agree @Jockette . Part of it, like the thicker patella and putting in a thinner spacer, the OS said each surgeon has their own opinion on what to do there. He also said that since I had such a build up of scar tissue he had to remove, the thinner would be my best hope for good ROM. But the "internal rotation" was the issue from the beginning and caused my inability to get good ROM. I had ROM in the hospital from the first surgery and it started to go down hill from there. He did a MUA at 6 weeks and got it back up to 90 but it again, when downhill from there. Ultimately all of that made it worse, with internal rotation. That makes me mad every time I think of it. My husband asked for the old prosthetist! My OS cleaned it up and put it in a Bio package and gave it to him. I have not looked at it. Not sure what I would be looking at; but we have it and Hubs if grateful. Not sure what he plans on doing with it; probably will end up out in our garage with a whole lot of other junk!!
 
This is why I personally don’t like MUAs done so early, only to find out later that the knee never had a chance in the first place.

By rotating, are you saying it was loose? If so, was that a surprise? Did it show up on an X-ray?
Not sure what he plans on doing with it; probably will end up out in our garage with a whole lot of other junk!!
My husband has a “stuff box” labeled “Stuff”. :rotfl:

I hope you have an uneventful and successful recovery. :console2:
 
My current OS had ordered a CT and the rotation showed up there. He has never said it was lose. I will get more details when I have my first check up on October 8th.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom