MUA My 2nd Journey Begins

Happy New Year everyone! Well, I had my last appointment with my surgeon yesterday. He has released me!! Oh, what a feeling:happydance::happydance:He wants me to continue with PT, to continue to work on my gait. I have walked so bad for so long it will take a while to un-do my bad habits and strengthen muscles that have not been used for a long time. I measured 120 flex! Surgeon said don’t be surprised if I regress a little, but as long as it stays above 100 he doesn’t want to see me until the one year mark. I have a plan to continue my daily bike routine, swimming twice a week, and PT twice a week. With that and the increased daily activity of everyday life, I have high hopes of having a fabulous 2019. Thanks to this forum for all the education and support. Without it, what would I have done all those nights? For those who are just starting their journey, just take one day at a time. It will get better. Don’t lose hope, and trust in your team and the family you have found here.:friends:
 
What an uplifting post you have! A 120 bend is great!
 
Hello friends! It has been awhile. Tomorrow is my 6-month kneeversery since my revision and wanted to provide an update and maybe a little encouragement to those just beginning? My last PT was 2/27, so I have been on my own for a month. I have created a routine of 10 minutes on my recumbent bike every morning to “ wake up” my knee and sometimes 10 minutes in the afternoon if warranted. I swim 2 days a week, to provide a little change and work on strength. I walk everyday. The dog is very happy about that! Otherwise, I am just living my life. That is a good thing! I have been back to work full time since January 28th, and I will admit that some days are brutal. If I am on my feet too much, I pay for it for a few days. The good news is I recognize that and back off; rest and elevate with my ice; and I am able to recover quickly. I measured 120 degrees on my last day of pt and feel like I have been able to maintain that. Considering I never thought I would get past 90, I feel blessed. I still have that “tight band” feeling around my knee; but for the most part I just ignore it. It does not limit me in anyway of doing the things I want to do. Physically, I feel like I have gotten stronger each week. Getting all those drugs out of my system is a great feeling! I still go for a massage every 2 weeks and she really helps me feel great. I am only 1/2 way thru healing I know. And my knee reminds me sometimes. But that is ok.

The newbies are wondering if they will ever get better? Yes you will. You will move from worry every minute to every hour to every week to, wow I’m six months out! I continue to read everyone’s stories and follow your journeys. Bonesmart was such a help to me. Best wishes to all and continued progress where ever your journey takes you.
:flwrysmile:
 
Well, it has been 9 months since my revision!! Every time I compare today to 12 months ago; I can not believe how my life has improved. I am a "walking" miracle. It might not be the perfect knee; but for me; it is way better than I ever thought it would be. My every day life continues to get better. I have not had PT since February. Went to visit the doctor last month and everything still looks good. On my own, I still use my recumbent bike every day and swimming 3 times a week. I am still getting a therapeutic massage every 2 weeks; just on the leg and surrounding area. All of this keeps me loose and as mobile as possible. My only remaining goal is to get on my outdoor bike around my 1-year anniversary. I think I could do it now; but it is too hot around here so will give the knee another few months to continue to heal and we will test it in September. My extension is finally zero!! I have a flex of 110 degrees and this is probably the best I will get. I'll take it!! After being at 20 degrees prior to the revision, I am NOT complaining. Keep up the fight Bonesmarties; don't give up. Patience and ice are your friends for a long, long time.
 
Great update, desertgal. Good work on getting full extension. I only recently achieved that myself, and we started out together. I bet where you are is getting pretty hot by now. Up in Flagstaff, it warmed up later than on a typical year.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom