MUA My 2nd Journey Begins

Am I crazy for wanting the blood test?
No, you are not crazy. I personally think everyone needs one before this surgery, but insurance doesn't want to pay for it. It worth the peace of mind to know exactly what your body is allergic to.

Thank you @sistersinhim! We learn so much going thru this journey. Sometimes I question myself. I will stay the course. It IS the peace of mind we are always looking for.

Because of all the issues doctors go through with insurance these days, it’s not surprising they resist so much, even if we say we’ll pay out of pocket. That response is not programmed into their knowledge bank.

@NavyGunns That is what I am learning. But just thinking logically about it (taking the money issue out of the picture) knowing I am facing a revision on 9/25, shouldn’t we all want to know as many answers as possible? Me for sure but everyone on my team should also. Well, I’m on to other things now. I’ve got a big to-do list!

Because of all the issues doctors go through with insurance these days
I don't think they know a thing about insurance. Their office staff handles all that. But, they are concerned about the 'bottom dollar' pressure from the group they are apart of. The best OS I had years ago left the profession when HMOs took over. He said he had little control over the care and time he could give his patients and that's not why he became a doctor! I cried when he left.

@beachy, no you do not need a prescription to order it. They will gladly mail it to you. But, you have to have a doctor's order for their lab to process and read your sample.

@Desertgal, as I've said before, I will not have a revision or another tkr without first having the allergy blood test done!

@beachy keep on them. My next stop was going to be my OS. He understands the importance of the test. What doctor wouldn’t want you happy, especially if you are paying for it.

I didn’t think of my OS! Great idea! He is actually more accessible than pcp. And more understanding.

What doctor wouldn’t want you happy, especially if you are paying for it.
I completely agree! After finding out I had to have a doctor's order I asked both my PCP and my OS if they'd write it. I didn't actually talk to the doctor himself, just the nurses. They said they had never heard of such and thing. Well, my OS will hear of it next time I need knee surgery!

I am so heartened by your determination and willingness to share the process. Your recovery sounds like mine, although I never got to 90 as fast! But since the MUA, which did increase the flexion, I have plateaued. I am taking a break from pt to see if that helps with inflammation. I have a CT scheduled for the end of August for more answers. While I don't want a revision, I really want to regain functional use, to not limp, and for the pain to decrease.
I will bring up metal allergies, too.

Just a brief update, while I begin the count down. I have 26 days to D-Day! My pre-op is complete. My house is ready. My Hubs is ready. Now we just wait. My metal allergy test from Chicago should be back next week. I have been going to PT 1 day a week to learn some strength and stretching for my gluteus, hamstrings, and core. And, I have continued my swimming 3 days a week, because it just feels good. I couldn’t be more ready. As soon as the test results come back from Chicago, I’m going to ask the OS to put me on a waiting list. Maybe I can get my surgery date moved up? Best wishes to all of you, I can’t wait to get to the “other side”, again.

My blood test results from Orthopedic Analysis are in. Pretty consistent with the patch test results. There is on item that I don’t understand. It says as follows: “Known Stimulant (PHA)” and the reading is 56.6. On first glance the scale makes it look out of the range of norm yet it says “normal”. Can anyone explain what this means?

Attachments

• 7726A072-4A37-498C-8BA4-91A4BB3F3141.jpeg
    7726A072-4A37-498C-8BA4-91A4BB3F3141.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 206
@Desertgal,
"The role of the stimulant in the activation of lymphocytes by PHA."
A phytomitogen from plants that agglutinates red blood cells. The term is commonly used specifically to refer to the lectin obtained from the red kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris), which is also a mitogen that stimulates T lymphocytes more vigorously than B lymphocytes.

It is my understanding that when they do this test, they have to use something that they know you will respond to (see above) to activate the white cells/lymphocytes.

If you did not respond out of range, it might mean you have been taking antihistamines or oral steroids which could prevent a true reading/results.

Hmmmm, interesting. I have not taken a antihistamine or steroid for a year and a half! Something to discuss with my OS. Thanks @Cementless.

@Desertgal, I have had the Orthopedic Analysis done twice, once before my LTKR in 2016, which showed I am mildly reactive to the bone cement monomer. So my implant was done without cement. Now, I am having a revision for a loose tibial implant on this Oct. 3 and the 2nd Orthopedic Analysis (August 2018) showed I am mildly reactive to Nickel, not bone cement monomer. I had Metal patch testing done in July by my allergist which showed I am moderately allergic to Cobalt! So the revision OS is having my allergist retest me for all 4 bone cements he uses plus, Cobalt, Chromium and Nickel again! So confusing but better to be safe than sorry.
I wish you luck with your revision...we both need it!!!

Hi @Celle and @Josephine, may I impose and get your opinion on my question in my post #33? I think I am still a little confused.

I'm sorry, @Desertgal - I don't know anything about “Known Stimulant (PHA)” results or significance.
Can you ask your surgeon?
If you get an answer, I'd also like to know what it means.

Nor me. I am not a biochemist! You should ask your doctor.

I am impressed that you kept at it and now you have valuable information that might save your some distress in the future. good work, I am proud of you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie