TKR Muscle spasm?

Jockette

Staff member since March 2018
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Yes, that kind of pain is very normal.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

hawk2go

Staff member since January 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I have found that sometimes I wait too long to get started making my way to the bathroom. I think, I have to wee, and depending on where I am in the house, how long I've been sitting/lying/standing and how quickly I recognized the need will all impact whether I make it all the way to the toilet. I'm much slower than before. At this point, I've learned to go before I make my way downstairs (bathroom is upstairs) and before I leave the house for any reason. So my problem is not one of incontinence, per se, but ability to recognize the need and manage my way to the throne from wherever I happen to be at the time. I also sometimes use incontinence pads when I'm out.

It's a shame you can't get melatonin in the UK. I used a combination of CBD+melatonin that worked really well for sleep all night, but my medical mj tincture is cheaper and works really well, too (and no nee nahs). My "farmacist" worked with me to find the right strain for my need and suggested starting at the smallest dose and increasing that dose slowly over several days until I found my correct level.

OP
OP
B
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Sosie Leah ah interesting did it eventually go can I ask? I had my surgery the same date 28th October 2021 .. we write that date like this 28/ 10/2021.. wonder why two countries that speak the same language write the date different? How have you been doing with your newest knee? I went to see the physio yesterday she said I got ninety bend... But I'm still struggling to lift the leg straight up off the floor or bed. My surgery had been on hold due to the Corona virus. And I was frightened to go out of the house. So I didn't get any pre- surgery classes ( think in UK we were having these before the virus to give patients a bit of advice on the surgery etc) I so want it to work so I can go places and not lag behind all the time or be taking time out every few minutes.

Schaargi

graduate
Country
@BEWITCHED Charm

Please don't worry about not being able to lift your leg straight. That's an advanced move! When I finally realized I could do it, I ended up showing off for my family, doing it too much, and injuring my tendon, which put my recovery back several weeks. It's hard to be patient, I know. I'm struggling myself with boredome and inability to do things.

OP
OP
B
Country
Oh dear I think I better time out on bone smart I keep putting my posts in the wrong areas.
I do really apologise for this.. I really am very technology phobic.
I don't want to upset anyone so this will be my last message ( I hope this one is not in the wrong place as well)
I don't do Facebook Twitter etc as I don't understand the technical bits, but I was guided here from Gransnet .
Anyway take care everyone I hope everything goes ok for you all, and thank you for your support.

kneeper

Staff member since January 2014
BoneSmart Staff
Country
It can take some practice. But if you can find your thread (this one) and post here, you're all good.

Jockette

BoneSmart Staff
Country
I realise I have to work to get the bend back
You don’t really have to work to get the bend back. It will come back all by itself as you heal and as your swelling goes down.

I’m really sorry your PT pushed on your leg like he did, there is no reason for that. You don’t have to let them do that.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
Also can I ask my leg feels numb in places still on the outside is this ok? And when I walk I do feel as if the insides of my leg are like I have plastic bones that I am really aware of is this normal? Sorry I have so many questions but it's just an unknown entity to me
Numbness at 4 weeks is normal, that will go away in time.

Susie-Q

Staff member since February 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Yes, the outside of my left knee was numb for a long time and is only just now starting to get slight feeling back in it. It's still rather numb though. I'm about 3 months post-op.

OP
OP
B
Country
Do you get over the sleep deprivation like we often do with when we go through sleepless nights with our children? We often forget and go on and have more.
Because each time I exercise my other non surgical knee lets me know it feels left behind as that's obviously worn out too and the thoughts of going through this again are more a nightmare than a dream at the moment.. will this change I wonder.. I guess only time will tell.

hawk2go

Staff member since January 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
It took several months after having my LTKR to come to the realization that I was happy to have had the surgery. I was doing pre-hab for my RTKR this summer - when I did those exercises with my left leg (done in 2015), there was no pain (none) and when I did them with my pre-surgery right leg I had pain. My realization then was that I could have a pain free life as far as my knees are concerned. That was truly uplifting and motivating since the knees are the only joits giving me worries. I think it is a bit like birth labor, the amnesia allows for a subsequent run. The other thing is that I know so much more now than I did back in 2015 and have taken charge of my own recovery.:)

OP
OP
B
Country
Do knee replacements feel really false inside the leg? Mine feels really plastics and weird!
I am 5 weeks this Thursday since surgery but am very aware of the knee inside feeling weird.

Jockette

BoneSmart Staff
Country
@BEWITCHED Charm
How the knee feels inside us varies, as with many other aspects of this recovery, as we al all so different. 5 weeks is still early in this recovery and I would think yours will feel better than it does now in time.

OP
OP
B
Country
Ok thanks for that. It's just this whole process is an unknown entity and to be honest not knowing if what you are going through is just something you are going through personally or it is a shared thing that others have experienced or are experiencing . I have learnt a lot these past few weeks in bone smart .
I mean it helped me to know I wasn't the only one up till 3 and 4am .. sorry doesn't help all you that are I know but certainly made me feel better!
Take care all

OP
OP
B
Country
Since my surgery I have been found to have a erratic pulse that goes up and down at will.
My doctor has got me to lower my cymbalta ( taking for anxiety and also due to degeneration in lumbar area) upped my blood pressure meds ( now got to keep eye on ankles for odema... Can't tell in these stockings!)
Given me a statin as cholesterol slightly above normal I also take vitamin D and co codomols for pain associated with knees.
I walk and I rattle I honestly don't know when I get headache if it's coming off the cymbalta, a codeine headache or just a normal headache.
I don't know if any ankle swelling is my new knee or the new additional BP tablet!
Who knows what's what?
I do know after looking through the Christmas decorations boxes I was knackered! A small task but so tiring for me.
I did sleep a bit better last night... One o clock ish as apposed to 4am nodded off I will take that and run ( well not actually run more a hobble)
I wish you all well.

Susie-Q

Staff member since February 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
I do know after looking through the Christmas decorations boxes I was knackered! A small task but so tiring for me.
When I was at the same place you are it was my Fall/Autumn decorations I was trying to do and I got very tired very quickly. The fatigue is a real thing and it will last for awhile yet. Totally normal!!

OP
OP
B
Country
@Susie-Q
Thanks for the reply, it's really comforting to hear others say they have experienced the same thing. I Appreciate your letting me know.
Take care you

OP
OP
B
Country
I had my surgery on 27th October this year .
My pain had really subsided and I was only needing pain meds twice a day. Did exercises yest X three sets of 30 knee pushed back whilst sat in chair and holding for ten seconds.
Then pushing body up from chair and sit down steadily again.
On stairs down with good leg then up with bad leg.
This morning I woke at 4am with Zinger type pain in front of knee ( inside) it's now 10.30am and these pains are still going on!
They hurt and I have taken meds but to no avail.
Should I not exercise today? To be honest I don't know what's best to do or not do today.

OP
OP
B
Country
If there are mice in my bedroom I hope they have learnt to duck
as my pillows have become like me javelyns and from my bed I Chuck ( throw in Yorkshire)
Who knew I owned these biceps you should see me in full flow
after midnight is a whole new kind of workout
It's an extra full set I'm going to tell my physio so
I mean during the day I've gone to all the trouble of finding those triceps and quads
Then once I get in bed it starts again this nightime routine is such a blooming slog!
Leg over pillow.. five mins then put it back
Sit up.. no lie down do I need to lie down or am I better off being flat

Good now is knee raised how long can I make it stay
Oh no I can't back it goes I just can't sleep that way
Eventually when sleep does arrive boy I must look such a sight
Sixty chins rest upon my chest I keep waking myself salivating and snoring and it gives me such a fright
I am awoken each morning to a lovely breakfast in bed
but by now my nerves are just so frayed
I hope it's my delirium that wants him to wear those cornflakes on his head ( I love him to bits really)
Today I face my physio I'm wondering if my exercises today I can bluff
because surely all my nightime ones should count and they're enough!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Tower6brkrs
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom